Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lavar's "theory" as to why Gray will be the defensive coordinator

SMOSS89

Jerry Gray took one for the team when he interviewed for the head coaching position to satisfy the Rooney Rule. He knew he'd be rewarded for his contribution to the Washington Redskins, and that would come in the form of a promotion.

Obviously Greg Blache knew about all this, hence the media silence. He did not want to sit there and go "no comment" for the rest of the year, since its stupid and does him no good.

All I know is, after that San Diego game, Jerry Gray was pretty confident in terms of his job security. Sounds like a man who knows his place here is secure.

I'm not one for conspiracy theories but since yesterday its clear that Shanahan has been behind a lot of the moves the last few months, this one wouldn't surprise me one bit.

I don't know anyone familiar with the situation that doesn't come to the same conclusion... gray didn't do his reputation any favors by interviewing behind zorn's back... I'd be surprised if there wasn't a cookie at the end of all this for him... but then again, I'd be even more surprised if shanahan agreed to coach here with snyder telling him we got this backstabbing DC who's never called a game already picked for you...

I'm not one for conspiracy theories but since yesterday its clear that Shanahan has been behind a lot of the moves the last few months, this one wouldn't surprise me one bit.

I've been wondering, myself, if Shanahan might have influenced the decision to use Orakpo at LB so he can see if he would be able to play OLB in a 3/4 defense. I've read other reports that Shanahan is considering a 3/4 and it's possible he wanted to know what he'd need to make the switch. Just a thought.

I've been wondering, myself, if Shanahan might have influenced the decision to use Orakpo at LB so he can see if he would be able to play OLB in a 3/4 defense. I've read other reports that Shanahan is considering a 3/4 and it's possible he wanted to know what he'd need to make the switch. Just a thought.

Agreed.

I do not understand why Gray gets so much credit, and why people actually want him to be DC. He has to be one of the most overrated coaches on the entire staff. Both Landry and Rogers played horribly this year while Gray was the Secondary coach. If he is promoted to DC, the defense will take a HUGE step back this year IMHO.

that theory does sound good but when i think of our D staff i think of the non disciplined mentality weve had and gray goes right to the heart of that. i think we need a fresh start and as much as i like gray's demeanor, i think we need all new coaches.

zimmer would be fine with me, he turned the bengals around big time, and theyre a ball hawking team that can rush the passer. i have no doubts that with the players we have zimmer could do wonders with this current group.

Interesting conspiracy theory that's been making the rounds. It doesn't vibe with the fact that Shanahan and Allen are in charge and make that call, nor does it vibe with the much more reliable inside info on this board.

The benefits of interviewing for HC are not limited solely to whatever boine Snyder is willing to throw for helping him out. It make Gray a viable HC candidate elsewhere, let's other teams know he's interested in it and feels he is capable (which can help in lining up a D-coord. job as well), and let's teams know he is willing to help out/work with management. There are downsides to it as well though, but Snyder isn't making the calls so this theory doesn't exactly fit, IMO.

I do not understand why Gray gets so much credit, and why people actually want him to be DC. He has to be one of the most overrated coaches on the entire staff. Both Landry and Rogers played horribly this year while Gray was the Secondary coach. If he is promoted to DC, the defense will take a HUGE step back this year IMHO.

i agree. i cant quite understand the fascination with Gray

Archived