Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Google Nexus One, iPhone Killer?

MattFancy

Here's a link to everything you need to know about the Nexus One: http://gizmodo.com/5440694/google-nexus-one-everything-you-need-to-know

It's the latest, maybe greatest, Android phone. Google calls it a "superphone" that's an "exemplar" of what you can do with Android. It was designed by Google and HTC, who designed the G1 and the Ion.

Anyone interested? I just got a BlackBerry last July, but since its coming to Verizon, I could be tempted. I'll wait til I hear more about it, but this thing looks pretty sweet!

I want this phone... However, it doesn't seem like it has the freedom of the Droid... Plus my contract isn't up until late this year and Verizon wants me to pay $560 for the Droid since I'm not eligible to renew. I'm sure they'd do the same with this phone.

Funny how bad Verizon screwed up by not taking the iPhone the first time around, then how badly they want the iPhone yet keep trying to get phones labeled the iPhone killer.

Yup. When I was renewing my FIOS they asked me if my cell was under Verizon. I said no. They asked what can they do to get me to switch to them? I said do you have the iPhone yet?

If they get it I would consider switching but i prefer seemless integration and good quality control. Some of my friends have had horrific times with the Droid having to return or get several fixed/replace in the first few months.

Yup. When I was renewing my FIOS they asked me if my cell was under Verizon. I said no. They asked what can they do to get me to switch to them? I said do you have the iPhone yet?

If they get it I would consider switching but i prefer seemless integration and good quality control. Some of my friends have had horrific times with the Droid having to return or get several fixed/replace in the first few months.

Really? What were the problems? I've got the Droid and have had zero issues with it. I love it. But if your friends had something happen to it, I'd like to know as a warning for what to expect.

Just heard this today: Nexus One is coming to Verizon this spring.

WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN

No more great phones on garbage networks like AT&T or (to a somewhat lesser degree) T-Mobile.

Compatibility with only those two networks was Nexus One's biggest drawback, not to mention an ever-growing disaster for iPhone on AT&T. Nexus One already outperforms iPhone on a crappy network; imagine what the data performance difference will be like when Nexus One is on a real network like Verizon.

Reading early reviews of Nexus One and thinking about using it on Verizon, I anticipate that 90% of the issues I probably would have with the phone can be solved through changes to software or customer service. These are exactly the kinds of problems you WANT to have for early-release products, as they're actually solvable with modest effort, unlike hardware or (ahem) network issues which take more effort to resolve or just go unaddressed.

And 90% is far better than any other phone I've ever seen, including Droid or iPhone.

Hurry up, spring. :D

Funny how bad Verizon screwed up by not taking the iPhone the first time around, then how badly they want the iPhone yet keep trying to get phones labeled the iPhone killer.

It wasn't a matter of Verizon not wanting it, the Iphone was made with a particular transmitter that allows for international calling (i don't remember the name) but Verizon doesn't support this. Verizon wanted a version for their network but it was Apple that didn't want to manufacture two phones.

No keyboard? GOOD! Keyboards add weight, and potential mechanical failure. Not to mention more corners and tight spots to get dirty.

No multitouch? Bad. Screen keyboard without multitouch is bad.

Android phones are easy to modify. The Droid already has multitouch enabled if you root the phone, the Nexus One will very soon. I think Google is scared of being sued by someone (Apple?) by using multitouch in the US. They still make it easy for users to hack in this functionality though.

Nexus One, Droid, Palm Pre... NONE of these are iPhone killers... they are copies of the iPhone. None of them offer anything groundbreaking, they are just blatant ripoffs of the iPhone.

Until someone comes up with something completely new and innovative, the iPhone avoid being "killed"... :D

It wasn't a matter of Verizon not wanting it, the Iphone was made with a particular transmitter that allows for international calling (i don't remember the name) but Verizon doesn't support this. Verizon wanted a version for their network but it was Apple that didn't want to manufacture two phones.

That may be part of the reason but the big hold up was Verizon wanted to have their own control over the operating system and have input like they do on all their phones. Apple said no way. And cingular bent over and took whatever apple put on the table.

As for the problems my friends have had to return their droids for: bluetooth stopped working, keyboard stopped working, and camera stopped working. It was easy though they just took it back and replaced it through either verizon or costco. But still I'd want better quality out of the box if it was me.

How fast/far is the expected price drop on this? If I wanted to wait until it was 400 or less how long do you think I'd have to wait?

I would think if its coming out for Verizon in the Spring, it'll drop in price in time for the Holidays. With the iPhone only $200-$300, I don't think Google can afford to have it priced much higher than that.

I have the Droid and liking it. Some things still need to be fixed, but pretty good (Voice Recognition was GREAT).

Can anyone tell me why this phone is different then the droid?

Its different because it was made by Google. It seems like there will be a little more personalization with the Nexus One. But if you have the Droid, I don't think there is a reason to go out and get this.

Nothing will beat the iPhone, or apple for that matter. No company has the creative thinking or inginuity that apple has. Apple doesn't wait for the consumer to tell them what they would like, they tell the consumers what they want. Apple is so far ahead of there competitors it's not even funny.

Supposedly Apple is rolling out with a tablet sort device, can't wait to see what this thing can do.

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/ByteOfTheApple/blog/archives/2009/05/dont_hold_your.html

Nothing will beat the iPhone, or apple for that matter. No company has the creative thinking or inginuity that apple has. Apple doesn't wait for the consumer to tell them what they would like, they tell the consumers what they want. Apple is so far ahead of there competitors it's not even funny.

Supposedly Apple is rolling out with a tablet sort device, can't wait to see what this thing would do.

lol, if there was ever a more perfect example of a fanboy

Archived