Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Google Nexus One, iPhone Killer?

MattFancy

Yea but I have 3 phones on a family share plan that I pay for so I think when I looked what it would cost to upgrade my whole plan to include unlimited data for all 3 phones, it was $40.

Why would you get unlimited data for all the phones unless you were getting 3 smart phones?

Why would you get unlimited data for all the phones unless you were getting 3 smart phones?

I would have to get at least 2 smart phones because my wife would have a fit if I got one and she didnt. She is so addicted to facebook that she would never get off the phone if she had one! And if I have to get 2, its cheaper just to upgrade the family package even though my mom would never use it.

I would have to get at least 2 smart phones because my wife would have a fit if I got one and she didnt. She is so addicted to facebook that she would never get off the phone if she had one! And if I have to get 2, its cheaper just to upgrade the family package even though my mom would never use it.

I just thought it was $30 per phone. I didn't know it went by a family plan type thing. But next time your contract is up, give a smart phone a try. You won't be disappointed by the things you can do with it.

Dad??

This is hilarious because my dad was in the same boat. He really wanted an iPhone and was all set to take the plunge until he realized my mom would have a cow. So, he stayed with Verizon and got a droid because she doesn't know how to use it. Its not a big deal to my mom. He was scared of the network thing too, but both my brother and I have iPhones and he has played with them a lot and wanted one, but he didn't want to have to pay for 2 smart phones cause there was no way he was going to have an iPhone and not my mom...LOL.

Dad??

This is hilarious because my dad was in the same boat. He really wanted an iPhone and was all set to take the plunge until he realized my mom would have a cow. So, he stayed with Verizon and got a droid because she doesn't know how to use it. Its not a big deal to my mom. He was scared of the network thing too, but both my brother and I have iPhones and he has played with them a lot and wanted one, but he didn't want to have to pay for 2 smart phones cause there was no way he was going to have an iPhone and not my mom...LOL.

I feel his pain! I cannot get anything I want if my wife wants one too without her getting one as well. I was going to get my motorcycle license and buy a motorcycle but she wants one too so I have to wait until I can afford two. I am not allowed to buy a new car until I buy her one first! Her car has less miles on it but its older so she will pitch a hissy if I buy myself a new car first. Everything costs double when you get married!

I don't know why anyone would get that phone now and run it on T-Mobile's crappy EDGE network. Also, no multi touch on maps? I heard the apps for it aren't up to par yet either. I'm not trying to be all negative, but it's what I gathered from this Uncrate video review. I'd likely have an Android device if I wasn't using a 3GS.

Google faces deluge of Nexus One complaints

Posted on Jan 8, 2010 5:56 pm by Nancy Gohring, IDG News Service

Category | iPhone » Phones

Google support forums are awash with people looking for help for problems with their Nexus One phones—and unable to find it.

PEOPLE WHO READ THIS ALSO READ:

iHome+Sleep "sleep lifestyle" app coming for iPhone

New HD pocket camcorders from Sanyo, Sony, and Kodak

Security Cam app turns iPhone into a security camera

Panasonic intros three HD camcorders

Experiencing 3D TV first-hand

Google to be sued over Nexus One?

The volume of complaints points to a problem that Google faces now that it has decided to try to push a new cell-phone-buying model in the U.S. Since most people buy subsidized phones from a mobile operator, they turn to the operator when they have problems.

But Google is selling the phone directly to end-users. That means many users are turning to it first, and the search giant doesn’t have the kind of customer support that mobile-phone users are accustomed to.

Google appears to be only accepting e-mail customer queries, to which it pledges to reply in one to two days—far too long, say most people who are complaining online.

Many people are also turning to T-Mobile and HTC, but getting little help there. T-Mobile is often referring people back to either Google or HTC for answers to questions. HTC is often referring people back to T-Mobile, according to complaints online.

One customer going by the name Roland78 said he was transferred between T-Mobile and HTC four times, spending a total of one-and-a-half hours on the phone with customer service. “T-Mobile also said Google hasn’t provided them with any support documents for the phone. Welcome to direct sales Google!” he wrote.

Another using the name SouthFlGuy was also sent back and forth between HTC and T-Mobile after finding no help from Google. “I guess I was under the wrong impression but I thought Google would handle the service on the phone,” he wrote.

Several people on one thread regarding poor 3G performance on the phone report being told by HTC customer service people that the Nexus One doesn’t support 3G, although the phone does. Another got an e-mail response in five hours from Google suggesting that the user try restarting the phone to see if that solves the problem.

More than 425 comments are listed on a thread about service eligibility issues. Some of them are from people who say that they ought to be eligible for the subsidized price of the phone but the Google sales site says they aren’t. Many others are simply complaining of a policy that requires even longtime T-Mobile customers to pay more for the phone than new customers.

Yet others on the site complain about placing an order and failing to get even an order confirmation three days later.

Google, T-Mobile and HTC did not immediately reply to requests for comment.

lol

well i was considering maybe taking the plunge on this but was apprehensive because of the first gen problems. this pretty much seals it for me. looks like the droid eris or htc hero for me. maybe by the time my contract is up they will have the kinks ironed out.

After helping my dad with his Droid, the difference in the touchscreen was the first thing I noticed...

Nexus One loses to iPhone in touchscreen accuracy tests

Posted by Daniel Ionescu on Jan 11, 2010 12:47 pm1 comment

Macworld » iPhone » Phones

Editor’s Note: The following article is reprinted from the Today @ PC World blog at PCWorld.com.

The Google Nexus One, Motorola Droid, and the iPhone have been put to the test to find out which smartphone has a better touchscreen. And the Moto Development Group found that the iPhone has a better display in a recent test.

The Moto Development Group tested the touchscreen accuracy of four leading smartphones, three running on the Google Android platform (Nexus One, Motorola Droid, HTC Droid Eris) and the Apple iPhone 3GS. The tests show that the iPhone comes out on top.

The Moto group, which is unrelated to Motorola, claims it has experience developing products that use capacitive touch technology, like the one used on the iPhone, on the Nexus One and on the Motorola Droid smartphones.

• 2 weeks later...
You dont have a GPS? You really need to check email immediately and it cannot wait until you get home? I am on a computer all day at work and when I get home, my laptop is right there for anything I need. The only time I dont have it is maybe the hour or two i may not be home in the evening after work and I am usually at the gym then. The only time it would be useful to me is when I go to my brothers for the weekend because he does not have internet. But I can survive two days without internet and if I really need something, I can go to my moms. Maybe I just need to get one to understand I suppose but right now I dont see the value for the money I would be spending on the data package.

I dont have a Garmen/GPS in my car....no need to ever buy one when i have my phone to use the 3 times a year I go somewhere that im unfamiliar with, LOL.

I like to check emails wherever I am...if im out to dinner, at a game, waiting on something, at someones house, at some other event or something....always like to keep up with whats going on. Having internet is a MUST....keeping up with scores wherever i am is something i need. I havent touched a desktop/laptop computer in weeks when i am at home. No need for me to drag out some clunky laptop, make sure there is an outlet, make sure its charged...etc....

I could absolutely live my life without my phone as many of us could im sure, but having it speeds things up and keeps me 100% at any second of the day.

• 2 weeks later...
i've been reading rumors this bad boy may be coming to verizon on 3/23

It's listed on Google's site (www.google.com/phone) as coming to Verizon in Spring 2010 so that seems pretty reasonable.

I was really hoping Google would have done better with this phone. It would be nice for them to get some better pressure on Apple so they have to step up and get rid of some of the glaring issues with the iPhone.

It's listed on Google's site (www.google.com/phone) as coming to Verizon in Spring 2010 so that seems pretty reasonable.

I was really hoping Google would have done better with this phone. It would be nice for them to get some better pressure on Apple so they have to step up and get rid of some of the glaring issues with the iPhone.

what don't you like about this phone? you can enable multi-touch and tethering now, which seemed to be the biggest complaints when it first came out

• 1 month later...

Archived