Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Google Nexus One, iPhone Killer?

MattFancy

Buy a PDA or Smartphone and you'll realize why everyone loves them. Need to get directions...Bam. Need to look up movie times while you are out walking around...Bam. Need to check your fantasy football stats...Bam. Need to listen to streaming video...Bam.. Anything you want to do you can do. Why lug around a laptop

How often am I out randomly walking around and just randomly decide to go to a movie? Its more like Im sitting around the house bored and I want to see whats playing. Then I just use my laptop that I paid all that money for! And who is seriously that pressed on fantasy football that you cant wait until you get home? Heck, Im home anyway glued to the TV if football is on so my computer is always there! No need to lug the laptop around. Why do I need to do all that instantly when I am by a computer most of the day anyways? Plus I have to pay all that extra money for a data package on my already too large cell phone bill just to have the convenience!

Everything you just mentioned, I can do on my computer or my GPS. Do I need sports scores immediately or can I wait the 15 minutes it takes to get home? My GPS will find any place I am looking for so why does my phone need that?

But you don't carry your laptop around with you, do you? Say I'm at the mall and want to find a good place to eat, I just look it up on my phone. What if I'm out and wanna catch a movie, I can buy the tickets right on my phone. If you're out and need to check your fantasy lineup, can do that right on my phone.

Believe me, I thought the same as you before I got a BlackBerry. Didn't see the need for all that extra stuff and thought I would never use it. But once you have one, its the greatest thing ever. Its not so much that I need to feel connected all the time, its that if I need something in a pinch, I know I can find it on my phone.

How often am I out randomly walking around and just randomly decide to go to a movie? Its more like Im sitting around the house bored and I want to see whats playing. Then I just use my laptop that I paid all that money for! And who is seriously that pressed on fantasy football that you cant wait until you get home? Heck, Im home anyway glued to the TV if football is on so my computer is always there! No need to lug the laptop around. Why do I need to do all that instantly when I am by a computer most of the day anyways? Plus I have to pay all that extra money for a data package on my already too large cell phone bill just to have the convenience!

So basically, you never leave the house. gotcha :thumbsup:

No, its not that we are sensitive, we just get tired up people telling us how our phone isn't this or isn't that... if you don't like the iPhone, don't get one, its that simple... If you don't like AT&T, use another provider, but don't tell me iTunes sucks (I have a win7 pc at home and iTunes was the first thing I installed, because I like it), don't tell me I can't get service (I always have service), don't tell me verizon is better (I've had verizon in my area and there is ZERO difference between verizon and at&t in Hampton Roads, OTHER than at&t's data network is faster) and don't tell me I need to have an open sourced device when mine does everything I need and want it to do (I can jailbreak if I want and I have in the past).

I think Verizon fanboys are tools... If you say it enough, it must be true...

This. every new phone ... oh its the iphone killer .... people always telling me I don't have signal. I get great reception that's why I kept the phone. It isn't some pretty paper weight.

And I have all mac other products. I love seamless integration. iPhone isn't for everyone but people just love to dog on it so much.

Basically :laugh:

Just a recent example of how the tools of the iPhone helped me:

I was visiting family in D.C. for Christmas. My friend flew up to being a trip we were going on and we were driving around town. We decided we wanted to see Sherlock Holmes that night. I found a local theater from my phone, directions, and bought tickets. As we were walking out, he told me he wanted to find somewhere with good cannolis. I remembered that Whole Foods had some good ones, searched for nearby Whole Foods, and found one 1/10th of a mile from the theater that we walked to (we were in downtown Silver Springs).

I think that's pretty beneficial considering this scenario happens to me a lot. Also, I had forgotten all about my fantasy teams so I was able to update them at the airport while waiting for a flight. Tailgating before a Redskins game wanting to watch the end of a good earlier game I can pull up Sunday Ticket and watch. For Blackhawks games that are on versus, I can listen into 720AM out of Chicago and hear the games wherever I am.

Just a few examples.....

Crazy Zeb - regarding my phone (myTouch w/Google) they wanted $400 when it came out in July and then in December I got it for $99.

Now the price has climbed back up a bit for the myTouch but if you wait a few months you will probably save $200 on the NEXUS.

As far as going without a smartphone...i cant imagine not having it.

Being able to get directions while in the car, checking various email acounts while doing whatever, checking on sports scores at any moment (yes i do need to check often), I mean I could go on and on.....they just make life easier and everything is instant.

I have to be honest, when I am at home I never am really on the computer because my phone does everything I want. I cant remember the last time I logged into the desktop at my house. No need anymore.

But you don't carry your laptop around with you, do you? Say I'm at the mall and want to find a good place to eat, I just look it up on my phone. What if I'm out and wanna catch a movie, I can buy the tickets right on my phone. If you're out and need to check your fantasy lineup, can do that right on my phone.

Believe me, I thought the same as you before I got a BlackBerry. Didn't see the need for all that extra stuff and thought I would never use it. But once you have one, its the greatest thing ever. Its not so much that I need to feel connected all the time, its that if I need something in a pinch, I know I can find it on my phone.

If Im at the mall, there is a food court and a map. If I am driving somewhere, I have my GPS to tell me where to go. I have never been out and said randomly, hey lets go see a movie. I am usually at home with nothing to do and decide to go or I am planning out my night. In either case, I have a computer to look up the movie times.

How often do you find yourself in a pinch? I almost never do and why would I pay all the extra money for something I might actually need once ever month or every couple of months? That makes a lot of financial sense!

Ha no I just actually plan my nights out when I am at home. I never leave my house without knowing where I am going. Do most people just get in a car and drive and then decide to go somewhere random that they dont already know where it is? Are people that needy for immediate sports scores that they have to have them now and cant wait an hour? If the game is that important, I watch the game!

Basically :laugh:

Just a recent example of how the tools of the iPhone helped me:

I was visiting family in D.C. for Christmas. My friend flew up to being a trip we were going on and we were driving around town. We decided we wanted to see Sherlock Holmes that night. I found a local theater from my phone, directions, and bought tickets. As we were walking out, he told me he wanted to find somewhere with good cannolis. I remembered that Whole Foods had some good ones, searched for nearby Whole Foods, and found one 1/10th of a mile from the theater that we walked to (we were in downtown Silver Springs).

I think that's pretty beneficial considering this scenario happens to me a lot. Also, I had forgotten all about my fantasy teams so I was able to update them at the airport while waiting for a flight. Tailgating before a Redskins game wanting to watch the end of a good earlier game I can pull up Sunday Ticket and watch. For Blackhawks games that are on versus, I can listen into 720AM out of Chicago and hear the games wherever I am.

Just a few examples.....

I guess I just dont randomly wander around the city without a plan. I must be in the minority. If I had a friend visiting, I would have planned out where we were going before I ever left the house and used my GPS to give me directions if I didnt know where it was. Maybe Im not spontaneous enough to need a smartphone...lol

As far as going without a smartphone...i cant imagine not having it.

Being able to get directions while in the car, checking various email acounts while doing whatever, checking on sports scores at any moment (yes i do need to check often), I mean I could go on and on.....they just make life easier and everything is instant.

I have to be honest, when I am at home I never am really on the computer because my phone does everything I want. I cant remember the last time I logged into the desktop at my house. No need anymore.

You dont have a GPS? You really need to check email immediately and it cannot wait until you get home? I am on a computer all day at work and when I get home, my laptop is right there for anything I need. The only time I dont have it is maybe the hour or two i may not be home in the evening after work and I am usually at the gym then. The only time it would be useful to me is when I go to my brothers for the weekend because he does not have internet. But I can survive two days without internet and if I really need something, I can go to my moms. Maybe I just need to get one to understand I suppose but right now I dont see the value for the money I would be spending on the data package.

I guess I just dont randomly wander around the city without a plan. I must be in the minority. If I had a friend visiting, I would have planned out where we were going before I ever left the house and used my GPS to give me directions if I didnt know where it was. Maybe Im not spontaneous enough to need a smartphone...lol

:laugh:

Nope, you are definitely not adventurous enough ;)

I was going to say the same thing. So why does he have a laptop? If he doesn't leave home, he could just do fine with a desktop PC

Cant sit on the couch with my desktop clearly! Plus I take my laptop with me when I travel for business. Otherwise, I probably would have a desktop still.

You dont have a GPS? You really need to check email immediately and it cannot wait until you get home? I am on a computer all day at work and when I get home, my laptop is right there for anything I need. The only time I dont have it is maybe the hour or two i may not be home in the evening after work and I am usually at the gym then. The only time it would be useful to me is when I go to my brothers for the weekend because he does not have internet. But I can survive two days without internet and if I really need something, I can go to my moms. Maybe I just need to get one to understand I suppose but right now I dont see the value for the money I would be spending on the data package.

It obviously depends on your lifestyle if certain phones work for you. I don't like carrying several devices so an all in one works for me: cell, calendar/planner, email, music, videos, applications, gps, etc.

I have to answer my email at all times of the day (work) so I need a device that lets me do that regardless of where I am.

I don't think as many people need them that have them (almost any college kid or hs kid doesn't NEED one) but they are quite convenient and handy when you do.

Not to mention my job subsidizes part of my phone since I use it for work.

Ha no I just actually plan my nights out when I am at home. I never leave my house without knowing where I am going. Do most people just get in a car and drive and then decide to go somewhere random that they dont already know where it is? Are people that needy for immediate sports scores that they have to have them now and cant wait an hour? If the game is that important, I watch the game!

I go out with friends and do one thing, and then we decide to go do something else. I'll be on the road traveling to and from hockey games (road trips are some times 4+ hours each way plus a couple hours for the game itself) and I'll want to know what the score is of the Caps game and who has the goals.

Its really what your lifestyle calls for. If you are always on the go for work or just traveling, a PDA is awesome. If you are always home or near a computer, you may not need one. I also use my iphone to record shows on tivo if I'm out of the house. For example, If I leave home and find out a cool show or movie is going to come on while I'm not home, I can log into my tivo from my iphone and set my tivo to record the show. I also have slingbox on my iphone so if i'm out of the house and have to do something while a game is on that I want to watch, I can do that while I'm in the car (wife driving). I also have an app if I'm at best buy or where ever and see something that is cool and want to buy, I just scan the UPC barcode on the item and my iphone connects to the internet and tells me where I can find the cheapest price so I don't make an stupid decisions.

Again it just depends on your life style. Obviously some people don't need it but if they did have it, my guess is they would use it more often

If Im at the mall, there is a food court and a map. If I am driving somewhere, I have my GPS to tell me where to go. I have never been out and said randomly, hey lets go see a movie. I am usually at home with nothing to do and decide to go or I am planning out my night. In either case, I have a computer to look up the movie times.

How often do you find yourself in a pinch? I almost never do and why would I pay all the extra money for something I might actually need once ever month or every couple of months? That makes a lot of financial sense!

I'm telling you, I used to think the same way! Now that I have a smart phone I could never go back. Its just the convenience factor. I don't need to always have my GPS with me, I don't always have to be near a laptop, I don't have to plan ahead. I can just go and get everything I need from one thing. Just give it a try for a few months, I promise you that you'll be hooked.

While I agree with all of those statements you hate hearing, my biggest problem with iphones is actually my problem with smart phones in general. Why the heck do you need to do all that stuff with your phone anyway? Was your portable laptop not portable enough? Can you not be disconnected from the internet or a constant source of entertainment for more than 5 minute? Geez! I am within reach of a computer 90% of the day like most people I know but the instant gratification generation seems to be getting worse and worse!

You know you are starting to get old when you complain about the new technologies coming out...lol Sad part is Im not even that old yet! :silly:

Ok, I see where you are coming from, but, in truth, i do think smart phones are replacing laptops "to a point". They will never replace them, but for example, I find that when I"m at home, I surf the net more with my phone as opposed to getting my laptop and doing it....

I NEVER thought I'd get a smart phone, the only reason I did was because I wanted to have something for my son to watch movies in my truck as well as having a phone. After getting the iPhone, I can't imagine not having it. Again, I know I'd survive without it, but I really enjoy having it.

here is a good review on the nexus one. i can't wait to get this phone. it seems like those of us with verizon who have been waiting for the iphone can get this phone without remorse since its pretty much on par with the iphone. (obviously not as many apps currently out but its still probably the best competitor out there)

http://www.nexusoneblog.com/blog/2010/1/2/nexus-one-review.html

I also have an app if I'm at best buy or where ever and see something that is cool and want to buy, I just scan the UPC barcode on the item and my iphone connects to the internet and tells me where I can find the cheapest price so I don't make an stupid decisions.

Now that is actually a nice feature I wouldn't mind having. I just would never switch to AT&T even for the iphone. Guess I gotta wait till the other smart phones catch up to the iphone or for verizon to get the iphone. I am always comparison shopping though!

Now that is actually a nice feature I wouldn't mind having. I just would never switch to AT&T even for the iphone. Guess I gotta wait till the other smart phones catch up to the iphone or for verizon to get the iphone. I am always comparison shopping though!

The Droid actually has the same feature with the UPC scanning. My mom has it and that is a sweet feature. See I knew you could find a reason to get one!

I'm telling you, I used to think the same way! Now that I have a smart phone I could never go back. Its just the convenience factor. I don't need to always have my GPS with me, I don't always have to be near a laptop, I don't have to plan ahead. I can just go and get everything I need from one thing. Just give it a try for a few months, I promise you that you'll be hooked.

Unfortunately I cant just give it a try for a few months. I have to lock myself in for a year because of phone renewal periods. If I get a smart phone, I have to get a data package and I am stuck with it for a year whether I like it or not! I just renewed my phone in the fall so I would have to wait until this fall to do so again.

The Droid actually has the same feature with the UPC scanning. My mom has it and that is a sweet feature. See I knew you could find a reason to get one!

But is that feature worth the extra $40 a month it would cost me to upgrade my family plan to include data? Is it worth $480 a year?

Unfortunately I cant just give it a try for a few months. I have to lock myself in for a year because of phone renewal periods. If I get a smart phone, I have to get a data package and I am stuck with it for a year whether I like it or not! I just renewed my phone in the fall so I would have to wait until this fall to do so again.

You have Verizon don't you? Next time when your plan is up get a smart phone. You have a 30-day return period. If you don't like it after a month, just return it and get something else. Easy as that.

But is that feature worth the extra $40 a month it would cost me to upgrade my family plan to include data? Is it worth $480 a year?

It could be! If you could use it to find better deals throughout the year! :silly:

Archived