Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brian Cushing wins DROY - Orakpo only 2 votes

corrupt3d

Cushing had a better year. Doesn't mean Orakpo is a bad player. Far from it.

Also, Cushing was in a much more favorable system. He got some unblocked sacks.

Orakpo was playing contain on an endge or running after TEs most of the year, and only occasionally pass-rushing. Even then he often had to deal with chips and double teams.

Congrats to Cushing, but I'd much rather have Orakpo.

EDIT: I was thinking of Matthews, whoops.

Would still rather have Orakpo.

Bull!:rant:.

Who's doing this voting Peter King? If anyone it should be Byrd from Bufalo. But when you're 4-12 you get no respect and Houston was 9-7 and from the Bengals laying down against the Jets from making the playoffs so that's why he wins it. No knock on Cushing but I'd take Orakpo any day over him

Try looking at it objectively. As a DE, Orkapo is better. As a LB, Cushing is BY FAR better. They both are listed as LBs.

Who had the better year at their respective position?

What a joke! Cushing should be BEHIND Matthews, Byrd and Rak. Who the hell is doing the voting? Sportswriters that trade drinks and Corned Beef sandwiches for votes? :mad:

Jimbo you are out of your mind. Cushing was a monster this season. 133 tackles, 5 sacks, 4 INTs and 2 Force Fumbles. Not to mention his team is going to the playoffs. Take the homer hat off and ackowledge that the voting was spot on. Orakpo had a hell of a season, but was bested by a couple of guys that were just better.

What a joke! Cushing should be BEHIND Matthews, Byrd and Rak. Who the hell is doing the voting? Sportswriters that trade drinks and Corned Beef sandwiches for votes? :mad:

I'd agree Mathews has done a heck of a lot more on Green Bay's new 3-4 team than Cushing has, but oh well. Matthews team isn't even making the play offs. LOL they jsut missed it as I recall.

To be fair Cushing had a stellar year. 4 Ints 5 Sacks and 134 tackles and 2 forced fumbles. I'd probably give the nod to Cushing as well over Orakpo.

Did anyone mention that Brian Cushing had 4 Ints 5 Sacks and 134 tackles and 2 forced fumbles?

I could swear, I do not think anyone in this thread mentioned anything about Brian Cushing's 4 Ints 5 Sacks and 134 tackles and 2 forced fumbles.

I mean we really need more people to copy and paste the stats of Brian Cushing, which were consequently, 4 Ints 5 Sacks and 134 tackles and 2 forced fumbles.

Ridiculous. 2 votes? I've heard nothing about Jairus Byrd. If Blache played him at DE, Orakpo would have swept.

Jairus Byrd earned those votes. I dislike the Bills as much as anyone but the guy is a ballhawk and tied for first in INT's even after missing a 2 starts.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=INTERCEPTIONS&conference=null&season=2009&seasonType=REG

Its not his fault you haven't heard of him, you just haven't paid enough attention

No complaints -- Cushing had a MONSTER year and showed why many people on this very board were talking about him for our 1st round pick a year ago.

As far as Rak goes -- two votes, five votes, seven votes, who cares? He wasn't the top rookie defender.

Stats are everything in these awards. 50 tackles, 11 sacks, 1 FF. Good for a rookie LB. Great if he were a full time DE, but he's not, and he got beat in coverage by TE's too often. Plus a tail off in numbers after his monster Oakland game.

So congrats to Cush.

matthews stats were dead even with rak. 50 tackles, 11 sacks, 1 ff for rak, 51 tackles, 10 sacks, 1 ff for matthews.

matthews had a much better defense around him with woodson and the rest of the gb defense. rak had a decent defense around him. cushing had nothing around him other than demeco ryans and mario williams. there was nothing else. plus he had almost 3x the tackles of matthews or rak. half the sacks, but 4 ints i believe. so for sake of argument his sacks/ints put together equal the sacks of rak and matthews. then you get to the tackles and he has way more than doubled them. and he played on a worse defense.

so i cant agrue cushing winning it. rak should have beaten out matthews. and byrd. i dont see how he can get consideration, sure he led in ints, but he went on ir with like 3 weeks left in the season.

learning DE and LB killed orakpo's chances... he made all his plays with his hand on the dirt... I'd be surprised if the new regime stays with the LB experiment...

I would expect a potential trading of Carter. Orakpo def. needs to be full time RDE now, but Carter performed very well this season, meaning he earned the right to start there so Orakpo wasn't going to get the starting job there.

But Carter is getting older, but he's also on the last couple years of his contract, and his stock is pretty high right now. I think he could possibly net us a 3rd rounder, though more likely a high 4th.

Another glaring example of anti-Skins bias. Orakpo had one of the greatest rookie seasons of all time and gets passed over. Ridiculous.
Anti-Skins? please, blame that idiot Blache for not using Orakpo to his abilities trying to get him to play LB when he's clearly better and efficient at DE.

I have never seen so much homerism in one thread - take off the glasses please.

Rak had a great year but he should not have won...personally i'm suprised he got votes with the years Byrd and Cushing had.

Even watching Matthews play, he seemed better than Rak. It was a great defensive rookie class but Rak did not deserve this compared to the others

Archived