Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brian Cushing wins DROY - Orakpo only 2 votes

corrupt3d

DROY is voted by the league and columnist. Its the reason Peyton Manning won the MVP award the same year Steve McNair won it when Steve was clearly more valuable to the Titans than Manning to the Colts that year. Its the reason Manning will probably win it this year over Brees and Rivers. Being voted by your piers is the ultimate compliment. By far more rewarding than an award given by people who dont play the game.

DROY is voted by the league and columnist. Its the reason Peyton Manning won the MVP award the same year Steve McNair won it when Steve was clearly more valuable to the Titans than Manning to the Colts that year. Its the reason Manning will probably win it this year over Brees and Rivers. Being voted by your piers is the ultimate compliment. By far more rewarding than an award given by people who dont play the game.

Peers* man. Peers*.

Manning should win it this year. You have seen how awful the Colts are when he comes out.

learning DE and LB killed orakpo's chances... he made all his plays with his hand on the dirt... I'd be surprised if the new regime stays with the LB experiment...

You know Rak would have played far less if he was just at DE, right? He wasn't a fit at LDE where Daniels was playing and Carter was going to get the bulk of the time at RDE. That would pretty much restrict his on-the-field time to passing downs, where Daniels would move inside and either Rak or Wilson would be at end.

I also think Rak is a far better pass rusher than a run defender right now. Even playing DE I saw him blocked more often than not in the running game. It is something he still needs to work on.

Ridiculous. 2 votes? I've heard nothing about Jairus Byrd. If Blache played him at DE, Orakpo would have swept.

Byrd tied Charles Woodson, Asante Samuel, and Darren Sharper with 9 INTs, to go with 45 tackles and 11 PDs. Pretty solid stats for a rookie CB.

Cushing was tied for 5th in the league with 134 tackles, and added 5 sacks, 4 INTs, 10 PDs, and 2 FFs. Excellent all-around stats for a rookie SLB.

Ironically, Cushing demonstrated what a true SLB is capable of, and Orakpo demonstrated exactly why a DE is limited playing as a SLB in a 4-3. Blache deserves criticism, but Orakpo did not get robbed of anything here. Maybe next year we will see just what he is capable of as a fulltime DE.

Despite the ProBowl nod, I am still a little worried about Orakpo fitting in full time as a 4-3 DE cause of his size cause he did get swallowed up a good bit against superior offensive lineman. Im hoping he bulks up more this offseason so the new regime has no other option than putting his hand in the dirt on every down.

You know Rak would have played far less if he was just at DE, right? He wasn't a fit at LDE where Daniels was playing and Carter was going to get the bulk of the time at RDE. That would pretty much restrict his on-the-field time to passing downs, where Daniels would move inside and either Rak or Wilson would be at end.

I rather play Orakpo less if he is solely at his best postion than more when he is out of position and an obvious liability in coverage. He is a phenominal player, but that does not mean you play him out of postion just to play him. That weakens our defense as a whole and stunts his growth as a DE.

And I'd rather have him working on his issues with stopping the rush in a game than keep vainly trying to have him work on his coverage issues in a game.

Bull!:rant:.

Who's doing this voting Peter King? If anyone it should be Byrd from Bufalo. But when you're 4-12 you get no respect and Houston was 9-7 and from the Bengals laying down against the Jets from making the playoffs so that's why he wins it. No knock on Cushing but I'd take Orakpo any day over him

I rather play Orakpo less if he is solely at his best postion than more when he is out of position and an obvious liability in coverage. He is a phenominal player, but that does not mean you play him out of postion just to play him. That weakens our defense as a whole and stunts his growth as a DE.

And I'd rather have him working on his issues with stopping the rush in a game than keep vainly trying to have him work on his coverage issues in a game.

You can't work on your issues in the game if you aren't playing, and there is no way you put Carter on the bench to play Rak. Carter is definitely the better player at this time.

Personally, I think his time at LB will have long-term benefits by making Rak a more flexible player, a guy you can move around in a defense and wreck havok.

Archived