Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Potential OL Coach Candidates

method man

I'm going to throw one name out there: Greg Roman

Greg is currently Stanford's offensive line coach. He has done an excellent job of working with both his young talent and his veterans to get them to play to the best of their abilities. The offensive line was the lynchpin behind Stanford's success this year, plowing the way for Toby Gerhart, who is not exactly Adrian Peterson, and giving Andrew Luck, the freshman QB, plenty of time to throw the ball.

Chris Marinelli, the RT, was considered a Day 2 or Day 3 prospect to start the season, but with the help of good conditioning and coaching from Greg, he is now seen as perhaps the best pure RT prospect in this draft.

Andrew Phillips, the junior LG, is seen as perhaps the top guard prospect in next year's draft.

Chase Beeler, the center, made the 2nd team All Pac-10.

David DeCastro, the RG, and Jonathan Martin, the LT, had excellent freshman years.

Keep in mind that Stanford runs a WCO/power running offense so, on the pass blocking side of things, Roman has experience on what Shanny wants. Roman, 36, also has a lot of NFL experience, having served as a coach in the NFL for 13 years as a tight ends and assistant offensive line coach for the Ravens, who have a pretty damn good line.

Rick Dennison, who was Shanny's OL coach after Gibbs left for Houston.

Gibbs is going to be 69 soon, we need someone a bit younger than that.

Rick Dennison (born June 22, 1958, Kalispell, Montana) is the offensive line coach for the NFL's Denver Broncos. He served as the Broncos' offensive coordinator from 2006-2008, was the team's offensive line coach from 2001-05, special teams coach from 1997-2000 and an offensive assistant from 1995-96. He played eight years as a Broncos linebacker (1982-90). He played college football at Colorado State University, where he played tight end. His linebacker career began when he entered the NFL. During a year off in 1993 for personal reasons, "Denny" Assisted Suffield Academy in a successful New England football championship, then returned to Denver to resume coaching for the Broncos.

Good idea OS-

Ray Brown...seriously? :doh:

The OP has a great suggestion. But Gibbs seems to be the favorite...

Ray Brown would be an excellent choice. I always say Coaching qualities in him. Alex Gibbs would be my 1st choice given his familiarity with Shanahan bit if we can't get Gibbs, I would be thrilled with Ray Brown. Another thought as assistant OL coach if he retires is Chris Samuels, who has expressed interest in coach when he's done

Whoever Mike Shanahan wants in there. It would be nice to have an offensive line like Denver had for all those years...minus the dirty plays.

Cut blocking is part and parcel to the ZBS. This is why we need to draft Mitch Petrus from Arkansas. Most college players suck at cutting but this guy is just devastating at it.

TK seems to think alex gibbs could be coming in

I would think it's more of a hope and a prayer. A.Gibbs is only on year 2 of a contract which means he either has 1 to 3 more yrs left on his contract.

Dennison is with the Bronco's who don't want Shanahan to interview any of their coach's. Gibbs and Dennison are the best when it comes to Zone/Cut blocking. I'm not sure who else Shanahan could bring in.

But I can tell you it won't be Grimm. He doesn't use the Zone/Cut blocking scheme. Plus I think he's an Asst. HC/OL coach. We can't offer that. Kyle will be Asst. HC/OC. Unless they have to get tricky with the titles and Kyle settles with being simply OC and they give the Asst. HC to someone else to bring them in.

Archived