Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Good Riddance Mr. Zorn. No Thanks from me.

TimmySmith

He was hired in 2008, the year after a playoff run. You are aware of that, yes? I mean, you are a Redskins fan and followed the team recently?

And the "barely" is because Gibbs needed a Campbell knee injury to make the QB change he was considering but didn't make.

Some of you guys love to minimize an accomplishment and distort the facts when it suits you. Had GIBBS (it's not Vinny's fault here) gone with Saunders CHOICE at QB, we probably win the division and get a bye that year. It was the decision to keep trotting out Campbell (hmm, sounds familiar) that almost cost the team the playoffs and put them in a spot to have to win 4 in a row.

We weren't 5-7 because we were a bad team, we were 5-7 because the QB was woeful and it killed both the offense and defense.

Dude! How is that distorting facts? We were 9-7! We did not win a playoff game! We changed our OC and DC the next year. Our OL fell apart like it did this year!

Why didn't Vinny fix it?

Vinny did not know what he's doing! :hysterical:

This is a very tasteless thread. Nothing you can say will prove otherwise! :chair:

As for questioning my fan-dom...:doh:

Dude! How is that distorting facts? We were 9-7! We did not win a playoff game! We changed our OC and DC the next year. Our OL fell apart like it did this year!

Why didn't Vinny fix it?

This is a very tasteless thread. Nothing you can say will prove otherwise! :chair:

As for questioning my fan-dom...:doh:

Let me go in reverse order.

I didn't question your fandom, it's called sarcasm, man. Obviously, you've been posting for awhile and I recognize your name but 2007 was a playoff year and Zorn was hired for 2008 season. I won't explain anymore because I think the point of me saying that is obvious.

Your assertion that it's classless does not make it so. He concedes that Zorn is a nice guy but calls him to account for his failings. Now, I would not have written it the way TS did but overall, I'm getting tired of hearing about how XYZ loser is "classy," while lots of classier individuals who actually act in accordance with the definition of the word are overlooked. Or we get to hear all kinds of nasty things about other people based on results (like Snyder, Cerrato, various players, etc) or perceptions that may not even grounded in an understanding of reality.

You can't move the goalposts. The 2007 team went to the playoffs. By definition, Zorn was handed a playoff team. OK, I think your counter about the OC and DC being gone was ABSOLUTELY Perfect. That is the way to counter that argument. But it was believed that Blache was a way of leaving the defense in place. The WCO was supposed to help Jason improve, not a 'rebuild' of Jason as much as a tool to help him improve.

Of course, the playoff team had Todd at the helm, so that would be another point against the "playoff team" aspect. I do think this team makes the playoffs (well, not this year, perhaps but last) with a credible OC (now we know just how BAD ZOrn is) and a great QB.

I guess people are forgetting the arrogance that Zorn displayed when he always mentioned execution. How long did it take him before he starting accepting that his schemes and playcalling were horrible? The man was stubborn beyond reason.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

I don't get the whining about that game. You knew what you were going to get on that night: a team of overpaid underachievers vs. a regular contender still in the playoff hunt. What'd you really expect to happen? You can't drink spoiled milk and then whine when you get sick!

I expected him to at least own up to the fans and act as if he wasn't mailing it in. You can say what you want about the hiring of Bruce Allen, but every single member of that staff and team was aware they were auditioning for either their own or future jobs. No one responded to pressure, starting with the HC. Those fans went through a lot of expense and trouble to attend that mess.

Your fault for not having a life.

His resume is very public, there was no need to "wonder"...research is your friend.

I'm sure he has real friends...

What team do your own... why are you here?

Multi-millionaire who lived his dream and it's not over, what have you accomplished with your life (is that where this hate is coming from?).... Enjoy your NNT...

:applause:

Comments from Carter, seems classy huh?

=================================from the Post....

Carter praises Zorn's courage

Defensive end Andre Carter has been in the NFL for nine seasons and is the son of a former NFL player and coach, so he thought he had seen it all. Until this season. Until he witnessed the professionalism coach Jim Zorn exhibited in trying circumstances.

"I've been around the league almost 10 years, and obviously all the stuff I learned from my dad, but this was really tough" for Zorn, Carter said. "I mean, the courage he had to continue [coaching] with everything going on, everything happening around you, it was just really impressive."

Carter thought Zorn might resign when owner Daniel Snyder and Vinny Cerrato, Washington's recently ousted former top football official, brought in Sherman Lewis Oct. 6 as an offensive consultant. Snyder and Cerrato stripped Zorn of play-calling duties two weeks later and installed Lewis as play-caller.

"A consultant, man, that's something I hadn't seen before," Carter said. "Some people probably would have quit, but I think he stayed because he knew we have some good guys here. I think he stayed, at least a little bit, because of the respect he had for us. You have to respect how he kept trying to do the best he could no matter what else was going on."

Regardless of Zorn's record (12-20) he earned Carter's praise. "He's a great guy," he said. "I just have a lot of respect for what he did. Now, you have to wait and see if we're going to go in a totally different direction with a completely new slate."

By Jason Reid | January 4, 2010; 10:15 AM ET | Permalink | Comments (39)

Categories: Jim Zorn

Carter's comments are typical for how much of the NFL sees Zorn (to my knowledge). He failed notably here, and has generated the expected message-board type of bashing beyond the derserved and informed criticism. Some especially stupid themes have been "blaming" him for even taking the incredible opportunity in the field he loves, even one of ovwewhelming challenge, that was dropped in his lap, and the message-board experts profling his personality--which has run much the opposite of those who knew/know him at all in the past as well as the vast majority of those currently working with him.

Again, this is all without making excuses for very poor performance in a number of areas (which I'd think were expected given his level of expertise at the time of hire) and wanting him to go because it had to be done. Along with his obvious shortcomings that would have needed to greatly improve, he was never put in a support system sufficient (or even close)to build a winning HC experience in DC.

One of the more unfortunately traditional aspects of these things is reading certain derisive commentary from people who, among them, include individuals whose personal life and professional accomplishments, if known, would make their castigations seem ironic at best (and other things worse).

I have to say that overall, I am pleasantly surprised to see the general tone and approach most are taking in this thread and others, even while acknowledging all the just criticisms of Zorn and the huge relief of having the change at HC. Well done most-of-ES. :D

One of the more unfortunately traditional aspects of these things is reading certain derisive commentary from people who, among them, include individuals whose personal life and professional accomplishments, if known, would make their castigations seem ironic at best (and other things worse).

My imagination just made me spit up in my mouth. Well put Jumbo.

Carter's comments are typical for how much of the NFL sees Zorn (to my knowledge). He failed notably here, and has generated the expected message-board type of bashing beyond the derserved and informed criticism. Some especially stupid themes have been "blaming" him for even taking the incredible opportunity in the field he loves, even one of ovwewhelming challenge, that was dropped in his lap, and the message-board experts profling his personality--which has run much the opposite of those who knew/know him at all in the past as well as the vast majority of those currently working with him.

Again, this is all without making excuses for very poor performance in a number of areas (which I'd think were expected given his level of expertise at the time of hire) and wanting him to go because it had to be done. Along with his obvious shortcomings that would have needed to greatly improve, he was never put in a support system sufficient (or even close)to build a winning HC experience in DC.

I have to say that overall, I am pleasantly surprised to see the general tone and approach most are taking in this thread and others, even while acknowledging all the just criticisms of Zorn and the huge relief of having the change at HC. Well done most-of-ES. :D

great post, and what i thought myself.

i still think zorn was not put in a position to win. at the end of the 'zorn era' i have no bad feelings about the guy. he made some mistakes - which is to be expected given how he got to the HC job. but the failure of this team is far from his fault. he wasn't given the roster, the time, or the support to build a consistently competitive team.

Archived