ESPN: Todd McShay Draft-surprising

hitmandm

Just saw Todd McShay's top 5 and it had some surprises:

Rams- Suh

Lions- McCoy

TB- Berry

Redskins- Bradford

Chiefs- Anthony Davis-OT

What really surprised me was no Clausen in top 5, he wasnt even first QB taken. And Okung did not go as the first OT- Davis did. Okung did go 6th, I believe and Clausen--not even in the top 10.

Im not sold that the Rams dont draft a QB.

This isnt a link to the SC episode Im talking about but it is McShay talking about some of the draft picks:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4748460

Rams- Suh

Lions- McCoy

TB- Berry

Redskins- Bradford

Chiefs- Anthony Davis-OT

What really surprised me was no Clausen in top 5, he wasnt even first QB taken. And Okung did not go as the first OT- Davis did. Okung did go 6th, I believe and Clausen--not even in the top 10.

Would not surprise me. The Rams HC is former New York Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo. I would expect him to build a stout defense first; and he believed in building from the defensive line out.

Besides, a LOT of scouts believe none of the current crop of QBs warrant a top ten selection.

Rams- Suh

Lions- McCoy

TB- Berry

Redskins- Bradford

Chiefs- Anthony Davis-OT

That's not all that suprising of a top 5 to me. I think the Rams are definitely gonna take Suh with the first pick, being that their head coach is defensive-minded. And they need help everywhere. No surprise the Lions take McCoy. They have needs pretty much all over, too. Same with Berry. Hell, Berry might even be the best player in the draft. And their secondary is a mess. I guess the Redskins passing on Okung would be a surprise. But if Shanahan is indeed the coach, then that would seem to lessen the surprise. Why wouldn't he go after a QB? He could still always draft OL later in the draft. And also sign a FA or two. I'm not endorsing the Bradford pick, however. Chiefs are in dire need of OL, too. Its amazing Charles has been as great as he has, given their OL situation.

What in the world would the Lions be taking a qb for? This is the worst mock I've ever seen.

That DT McCoy is projected to be just as valuable if not more so than Suh especially given the fact that some are torn as to whether Suh may be more fitted to playing a strong side DE in a 3-4 as opposed to a traditional 4-3 DT. McCoy is a more traditional monster in the middle type player so it doesn't surprise me to see him projected off the board right behind Suh.

The Lions are going to be really torn between picking Okung vs a defensive presence but I think protecting their QB is the smart move and if the Rams trade out of the top spot it will be only because they dont think Claussen is worth #1 overall money and want to collect a kings ransom for Suh.

Either way I think we HAVE to take Okung if he is still there at #4 and if not trade down, if we reach and fail with this pick we will be the Browns.

McShay isnt that high on Clausen. Kiper is very high on clausen and I believe he is his 4th ranked prospect and Bradford is his 5th rated prospect. I think both QBs will be great pros, so I'd be happy with either.

As far as the Offensive Tackles, You have Okung and Anthony Davis as the top 2. I'm not sure I would spend the 4th overall on either. Well see how things shake out, but I think we will go QB reguardless.

I guess the Redskins passing on Okung would be a surprise. But if Shanahan is indeed the coach, then that would seem to lessen the surprise. Why wouldn't he go after a QB? He could still always draft OL later in the draft. And also sign a FA or two.
Shanahan becoming the coach doesn't make us drafting a QB a lock of any sort.

He always had really strong o-lines in Denver, and I think if we're in position to get Okung/Davis, it's extremely possible Shanahan goes that route to solidify the pass protection and begin setting up his famous rushing attack.

Plus it doesn't look like there are going to be any OL available in FA worth anything. And without a 3rd round pick, we really need to hit on guys of need in the 1st and 2nd round.

o-line makes too much sense not to happen. (note: this statement is once again valid due to new GM... i hope) Even if it's perceived to be a reach at the time, there's no way we can pass up on a quality tackle like okung or davis in the first round. i don't care if we trade back to get them, but above all else that's where we need immediate help.

Step 1: Shanahan watches Colt Brennan practice every single day. Up close and personal. He already knows what JC has.

Step 2: If he believes Colt can cut it, then go o-line. If not, then you have to take Bradford.

McShay, and Scouts Inc., is a joke.

He had Jake Locker as the number one overall player when there were reports that Locker was a second or third rounder.

Locker would have been a 1st round pick this year, probably a top 10 selection. The advisory committee gave him a 2nd round grade which isn't surprising as they are notorious for being cautious with prospects because they don't like seeing a player get drafted lower than what they project. If Locker didn't get a 1st round grade I can guarantee that Bradford and Clausen didn't get one either.

McShay isnt that high on Clausen. Kiper is very high on clausen and I believe he is his 4th ranked prospect and Bradford is his 5th rated prospect. I think both QBs will be great pros, so I'd be happy with either.

This.

McShay has always had Clausen down on his board. I think like 21st last I checked. It's Kiper who has him as the top QB prospect. I heard an interview with Kiper the other night on 980 and he was talking about it. Said there is a huge difference of opinions among "experts" on this this draft.

None of that mock surprises me.

Suh - Closest thing to a sure thing

McCoy - Very good prospect

Berry - Gets comparisons to Ed Reed

Bradford - a project but QBs usually get drafted a little higher than other positions due to importance

Davis - shooting up draft boards after his commitment (he was a junior)

Still lots of time and a combine to sort these things out but from their play on the field I wouldn't be surprised by that draft.

Archived