Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Todd McShay Draft-surprising

hitmandm

Me personally I'm torn, between a potential great left tackle in davis and a good qb in bradford. I say this..

Since there are a couple teams who want a qb we could let them have 1st crack at whichever qb they want and by doing so drop a slot like #5 or #6 and pick up there 2nd rounder in return. Or even more.

Example the rivers trade. Ill be happy with either or but even more happier when we get more picks and still

Fill one of our needs possition with a potential stud like davis or bradford. Argue all you want both will be good but davis is the sure thing!

People made the same argument about Percy Harvin 12 mths ago.

No UF receivers make it....Percy is a bust, etc.

You either have "it" or you don't. Bradford appears to have "it".

Stevie wonder could see Percy had it, he dropped so low because of his admitted weed use in college, remember the whole "Character thing" everyone was sold on his talent. But OU has produced Hiesman trophy winner and successful QB's in college and none have done **** in the NFL.

Stevie wonder could see Percy had it, he dropped so low because of his admitted weed use in college, remember the whole "Character thing" everyone was sold on his talent. But OU has produced Hiesman trophy winner and successful QB's in college and none have done **** in the NFL.

Name one good QB OU had...please dont say Jason White. lol

It would be a disaster drafting any of these QBs with the skins in it's current state.

None of the QBs in this draft are;

A worth a top 5 pick.

B worth the money they require

C are sure fire Franchise QBs

Draft Okung if hes there, if not, trade back and stockpile picks.

Shanahan becoming the coach doesn't make us drafting a QB a lock of any sort.

He always had really strong o-lines in Denver, and I think if we're in position to get Okung/Davis, it's extremely possible Shanahan goes that route to solidify the pass protection and begin setting up his famous rushing attack.

Then maybe we'll trade back, pick up a pick or two and take one of the running backs. It's obvious, to me at least, that we have mediocre RB's at best and need to get one in here that can be a threat to break one everytime he touches the ball. We used to have that until Portis was forced to put on weight to pound the ball between the tackles, now all he does is run up his linemans backs and fall down. IMO RB is just as important if not moreso than OL. Good RB's will make a pedestrian line look above average.

Bottom line is everything in football feeds off one another. A QB who is a deep threat keeps the defense out of the box. A RB who is a threat to break one everytime he touches the ball keeps the defense in the box. We have a lot of holes to fill and we need multiple lineman, so I say if there's a knockout RB in the draft we trade back and get him then stack the house with later round OL and suck up every availible OL in FA. What Shanahan brings to the table is instant offensive credibility and there are few players who wouldn't want to play for him.

People made the same argument about Percy Harvin 12 mths ago.

No UF receivers make it....Percy is a bust, etc.

You either have "it" or you don't. Bradford appears to have "it".

By "it," are you referring to his lack of National Championships, or the fact that he has never had to read a defense in college career?

I am NOT SOLD on Sam Bradford. He hasn't played this year due to injury and it would be tough to evaluate how much that has impacted his QBing abilities.

I love what Sam brings to the table, but I am concerned about his weak arm. The NFL has transitioned into a passing league, and you do need a QB who can rifle a deep ball when need instead of floating one in!

Just saw Todd McShay's top 5 and it had some surprises:

Rams- Suh

Lions- McCoy

TB- Berry

Redskins- Bradford

Chiefs- Anthony Davis-OT

Rams pass on Claussen? No chance.

Lions just drafted Stafford and have no one to protect him? They take Okung or Suh.

TB takes Suh or Berry.

Redskins pick depends on who we can get in the shallow UFA OL market. If we don't have 5 starters on the roster by the draft, taking a QB in the 1st is suicide.

Name one good QB OU had...please dont say Jason White. lol

I'm not saying they are good but winning the hiesman trophy White and runner up Heupel both who did nothing in the NFL has to mean its the system, right? Is Bradford the other heisman bust? But your right OU hasn't really had any good QB's other than these 3 statistically in the 2000's era.

McShay isnt that high on Clausen. Kiper is very high on clausen and I believe he is his 4th ranked prospect and Bradford is his 5th rated prospect. I think both QBs will be great pros, so I'd be happy with either.

As far as the Offensive Tackles, You have Okung and Anthony Davis as the top 2. I'm not sure I would spend the 4th overall on either. Well see how things shake out, but I think we will go QB reguardless.

It's always a little frustrating with these lists, because what really only matters to us, are the value boards of St. Louis, Detroit and Tampa (and to a degree, everyone else who picks before us at 37 overall). It doesnt matter what McShay or Kiper thinks other than in utilizing their ideas to augment our own. For now we are all concerned over who will be there at four. There seems to be a consensus big 4 or 5 which includes for sure: Suh, Berry, and a QB, and generally an OT, and/or the DT McCoy. Suh will be gone before we pick barring an absolutely horrible workout/injury. But everything else is in flux. Clausen could pass Bradford, Colt McCoy could pass both of them, we just don't know, and if Berry explodes at the workouts he could climb to #1 or #2 overall and of course there could be guys currently projected in that 6-30+ range that could jump into the top 4-5 by the end of March.

For me the big deal really relates to what the new FO wants to do at QB, because that almost certainly will define what we do with the pick because unless we trade for a QB, we cannot acquire a QB better than Campbell for next year. It's functionally impossible, as awful as that may be to say. They are probably telling themselves that they can use #37 either in a trade up, or staying put to land OL help, and so #4 can be used on whomever they are most interested in (probably Suh, Berry, and at the top of the list, whichever QB wow's them the most). I still think they may go OT, if the new guys say "Campbell is fine for now, lets put in some pieces at OL in the offseason (maybe 2 draftees) add one quality free agent, and if he produces, he's our guy, and if he isn't, we can draft our guy next year." That's very possible, but I think that technique is going to be used to actually justify drafting a QB. I think they will go, "we've got Dockery whose okay, we've got a stopgap cent that's okay, we got nothing at RT, we need an answer at RG with Thomas basically done, and Samuels is probably done, so we need 3 lineman in the next year or two, let's sign one good free agent lineman, and draft one at #37, and we'll get our QB at #4.

Then we have:

LT: Free agent signee/Draftee

LG: Dockery

C: Stop Gap Mediocrity

RG: Thomas/Free Agent Signee/Draftee

RT: Free Agent Signee/Draftee

Likely 2 returning starters, and two guys brought in via the draft and free agency to help the OL. The OL Rebuild will be finished with the '11 draft, and hopefully our new QB will be able to take advantage of it by '11 or '12 at the latest.

One added note. Portis is probably gone. What the FO decides to do about this could be interesting. Jahvid Best in a trade up? Who knows.

Step 1: Shanahan watches Colt Brennan practice every single day. Up close and personal. He already knows what JC has.

Step 2: If he believes Colt can cut it, then go o-line. If not, then you have to take Bradford.

I agree with this first point, i disagree w/the latter 2nd point. Nothing is certain at QB. Wait till the combine/school workups. A ton of top 10-20 reshuffling always takes place in February/March. Bradford is no lock by any stretch to be the #1 QB taken. Who knows? Nobody. We'll see. He's almost certainly a big time contender and maybe the favorite, but a lot changes with this every year in late winter/early spring.

Locker would have been a 1st round pick this year, probably a top 10 selection. The advisory committee gave him a 2nd round grade which isn't surprising as they are notorious for being cautious with prospects because they don't like seeing a player get drafted lower than what they project. If Locker didn't get a 1st round grade I can guarantee that Bradford and Clausen didn't get one either.

I agree with you. They are hyper conservative, and I imagine they would be particularly so with underclassmen QBs. I bet Mallett gets a low grade from them, but if he declares, he'll go in the first.

How do you rank the potential OTs this year VaBeach? I feel very strongly that Bulaga will declare and it wouldn't surprise me if Gabe Carimi and Nate Solder both declare as well. If both of them do, where would you place them? I don't think either Anthony Costanzo or Jarriel King will declare

Right now I'm thinking it goes:

1.) Anthony Davis

2.) Bruce Campbell

3.) Bryan Bulaga

4.) Gabe Carimi

5.) Russell Okung

6.) Nate Solder

7.) Charles Brown

8.) Trent Williams

I could really see Carimi climbing though if he declares. He looked pretty good in his bowl game and I think he definitely has more potential than Okung and possibly more than Bulaga. It's hard to justify putting him ahead of Bulaga right now because Bulaga was dominant last year too. I have grave worries about Bruce Campbell with his injuries but the upside is just so tremendous he warrants an early pick. We'll have a long notebook on him from our Maryland connection, so if he passes the muster then I could feel good about picking him. I think we'd be alright picking any of the first five names on the list if not at 4th overall. We'll see what happens.

BTW, Okung looked pretty bad in the cotton bowl. The guy is just not that great. He's like a poor man's Chris Samuels or a less talented version of D'Brickashaw Ferguson. He is not a dominant player and by no means is he worth a top 5 pick when better tackles and defenders will be on the board. If Anthony Davis is on the board at 4 and we want an OT, he's our man. The guy is a future Ryan Clady once he finally gets it all put together. Only he's much stronger than Clady was coming out of college.

How do you rank the potential OTs this year VaBeach?

1. Bruce Campbell

2. Anthony Davis

3. Bryan Bulaga

4. Russell Okung

5. Trent Williams

6. Charles Brown

7. Jason Fox

I love Campbell's athleticism and as KC Joyner pointed out he is an excellent run blocker. The injury history is troublesome and is something that would keep me from looking at him in the top 5, but his potential is very enticing.

Davis is another guy that some games you love and then other games he looks flat and not into the action. He has come a long way since he got to Rutgers, but I see a lot of the attitude and weight questions that followed Andre Smith around coming up in the interview process for him.

I think that Bulaga can be a very good RT or G in the NFL, but I am not sure about his ability to man the LT spot. He is another guy that is a very good run blocker and is a powerful lineman.

I like Trent Williams as a RT more than I like Russell Okung as a LT. I have Okung higher because of the positional importance.

Brown and Fox are 2nd rounders and while it might be worth a look I think Carimi and Solder return to school.

Right now I'm thinking it goes:

1.) Anthony Davis

2.) Bruce Campbell

3.) Bryan Bulaga

4.) Gabe Carimi

5.) Russell Okung

6.) Nate Solder

7.) Charles Brown

8.) Trent Williams

Davis isn't a LT in the NFL. If you're drafting and ranking taking into account ZBS and LT > RT it should be:

1. Russell Okung

2. Bruce Campbell

3. Charles Brown

4. Bryan Bulaga

5. Anthony Davis

6. Joseph Barksdale

7. Trent Williams

8. Jason Fox

9. Ciron Black

10. Gabe Carimi

McShay, and Scouts Inc., is a joke.

He had Jake Locker as the number one overall player when there were reports that Locker was a second or third rounder.

In fact, Scouts Inc/Todd McShay have very accurate mocks. Kipers are better, and, in fact, the guys at Walter football, by my calculation, have the best mocks. Still, McShay is very accurat.

Rams pass on Claussen? No chance.

Lions just drafted Stafford and have no one to protect him? They take Okung or Suh.

TB takes Suh or Berry.

Redskins pick depends on who we can get in the shallow UFA OL market. If we don't have 5 starters on the roster by the draft, taking a QB in the 1st is suicide.

No chance the Rams pass on Suh.

Archived