Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Todd McShay Draft-surprising

hitmandm

The one thing I really hope we do this year that we didn't during the draft last year is use the entire allotted time to listen and see if there is a team that will offer us something good. I don't care if we planned to draft Orakpo the entire time we should have waited 9 minutes and 30 seconds to make the selection instead of sprinting the card to the podium in the first 10 seconds to see if somebody was dumb enough to offer us a Ricky Williams trade.

Step 1: Shanahan watches Colt Brennan practice every single day. Up close and personal. He already knows what JC has.

Step 2: If he believes Colt can cut it, then go o-line. If not, then you have to take Bradford.

Sorry, this is off-topic, but what is with everyone Colt Brennan fascination on these forums? I'm from Hawaii and I've been to games. He played in the most quarterback-friendly system i've ever witnessed. He probably took 10 snaps under center in his entire career and his arm strength was WAY overrated. He just isn't an NFL quarterback...

But about the draft... For those of you who are intrigued by Anthony Davis, he is very inconsistent and gets off by sheer talent. He would be a project and could be one of those 1st round tackles who give up 11 sacks. Okung is technically sound and is the most consistent tackle in this draft.

And i think it was already said, but McShay has Clausen as a fringe 1st rounder. (at least he did prior to this recent mock)

Sorry, this is off-topic, but what is with everyone Colt Brennan fascination on these forums? I'm from Hawaii and I've been to games. He played in the most quarterback-friendly system i've ever witnessed. He probably took 10 snaps under center in his entire career and his arm strength was WAY overrated. He just isn't an NFL quarterback...

But about the draft... For those of you who are intrigued by Anthony Davis, he is very inconsistent and gets off by sheer talent. He would be a project and could be one of those 1st round tackles who give up 11 sacks. Okung is technically sound and is the most consistent tackle in this draft.

And i think it was already said, but McShay has Clausen as a fringe 1st rounder. (at least he did prior to this recent mock)

Colt is the closest thing we have seen on this roster to a pure passer still in his prime since........I'm not even sure how long. For a very, very long time.

St. Louis is taking Suh, 99% sure from everything being said in St. Louis, unless something drastic happens to him in between now and April.

I'm not convinced any of the QBs are day one starters in this draft, and Bradford's injury scares me, especially with our OL the way it is today.

I figure a lot will be addressed in FA before the draft, especially OL, this is a great OL FA year. From what I remember there are a lot of young OL out there that will be looking.

Shanahan has gotten QBs in several different ways, but he only drafted one in the 1st round, Cutler (#11). He got Plummer in a trade, Griese in the 3rd, so it's no guarantee that he wants one of the guys at the top of the draft, or that he'll be compelled to take a QB either way, especially if he and Allen agree that OL is the way to go.

Who knows what will happen, especially with the Senior Bowl, the Combine, and various other workouts and things.

HA! That's exactly what I predicted for each of those top 3 teams last week. I believe there will be a run of the top D players in the first 3 picks and it will be Okung for us at 4.

I don't believe Bradford has the durability to be a QB in the NFC East. IT would be a lousy pick for us. I'm not impressed with any of these qbs for our 1st round pick.

Don't go down the Brennan road. Your overall take on it is how most rational, sane people view him. Then there are the Hawaii homers, Anyone But Campbell crowd, and people just obsessed with claiming Brennan as a "gunslinger" or full of "moxy" because the Skins haven't had a franchise QB in so long they're desperate to crown anyone.

I also agree with you about Okung. I think he's a beast and I'd prefer him over any other tackle prospects.

];7179884']a pure passer with with poor mechanics and average arm strength?

Who is the last QB, in his prime, that posed such a passing threat?

JC, king of the ten yard or less pass? Child please.

Scott B.? Nope. Next.

Maybe Brad Johnson would be the most recent.

Whether he pans out or not remains to be seen. But the poster asked what the infatuation was about. The answer, is that we haven't had a passing QB here in ages.

Who is the last QB, in his prime, that posed such a passing threat?

JC, king of the ten yard or less pass? Child please.

Scott B.? Nope. Next.

Maybe Brad Johnson would be the most recent.

Whether he pans out or not remains to be seen. But the poster asked what the infatuation was about. The answer, is that we haven't had a passing QB here in ages.

So what you're saying is, a mediocre QB looks pretty good to you when compared to other bad to mediocre QBs the Skins have had recently.

Brilliant.

So what you're saying is, a mediocre QB looks pretty good to you when compared to other bad to mediocre QBs the Skins have had recently.

Brilliant.

He looks good to me for many reasons. Aside from a blazing collegiate career, his ability to complete touch passes, and his leadership of the team, albeit in only a few preseason games, he appears far above what I have seen here in the last nine years.

I recall a few of our less intelligent questioning whether Percy Harvin was a legit NFL player. The Florida WR bs....you know the drill.

As for the original question, why the infatuation? Yes. Because our other qbs have sucked that badly, and he appears to have the elusive "it".

Shanahan becoming the coach doesn't make us drafting a QB a lock of any sort.

He always had really strong o-lines in Denver, and I think if we're in position to get Okung/Davis, it's extremely possible Shanahan goes that route to solidify the pass protection and begin setting up his famous rushing attack.

Plus it doesn't look like there are going to be any OL available in FA worth anything. And without a 3rd round pick, we really need to hit on guys of need in the 1st and 2nd round.

I never said if Shanahan comes that its a lock he takes a QB. And I even went as far to say that I wasn't endorsing Sam Bradford. I was just saying I wouldn't be surprised if he went with one. But I'd probably rather have Okung or another OL as you stated.

And I wasn't aware of the OL in FA. So I guess we won't be going that route.

Colt is the closest thing we have seen on this roster to a pure passer still in his prime since........I'm not even sure how long. For a very, very long time.

When was the last time you watched football? "For a very, very long time" ago you say...ok, now this makes sense. HAHAHAHAHA :chair:

I'm telling you right now, if we pick a QB i'm gonna have a burning of stuff in my front yard and I'll work on Sundays for the rest of my life.:mad:

I got a few things you could burn...how bout a Colt jersey? Nah, you can just go ahead and wear it on Sundays while you work so that at least it get's some playing time :hysterical:

As for the original question, why the infatuation? Yes. Because our other qbs have sucked that badly, and he appears to have the elusive "it".

If by "it" you mean the uncanny ability to look good one preseason, then look like ass your second and get outplayed by a guy who's no longer on the team, Mr Booger Eater was his name...than yeah he has "it".

He's proven himself partially against 2nd/3rd string and guys who got cut during preseason...there's a reason he can't beat out the 54 yr old career backup..."it" is holding him back, not helping him...he needs to get rid of "it"...not keep "it". There I hope you like how I threw in your "it"...my guess is the kool-aid is all gone and your trying to find more.

I do not know how many times I have to emphasize this, lets wait to see the coach the Skins are going to hire. Then the philosophy of the coach will dictate what this team needs are in the draft ie draft linemen or qb. Personallly if it is Shannahan which is not a lock, then of course by track record the guy is not going offensive linemen with his first round pick and I respect that because Mike has the eye for rb and o linemen in the later rounds.

Archived