Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jerry Gray may never work in the NFL again.(Rooney Rule Discussion---MET)

Touch of Class 17

Yeah, personally I can't stand the rule. It's a slap in the face to any minority Coach or Coordinator in the NFL. It is mandated that every team complies with the rule but it is a well known conclusion that just about every other team finds a way to cir cum navigate around it, without giving a whole hearted honest effort.

Need to hire a new Defesive Coordinator, already have one in mind? Interview the Assistant to the Assistant Special Teams Coach (who just so happens to be a minority). Need a new GM, interview the Executive Assistant of College Scouting (who also happens to be a minority).

It probably just really needs to go, this debate happens every year in some NFL City.

If I own a team and am about to shell out millions of dollars to a new coach, I'm going to hire whoever the hell I want. You can impose a foolish rule that makes me humor a minority candidate (if my first candidate is not) and make a mockery of things, or just do away with the rule.

BTW, the vast majority of players in this league are black--should we start forcing teams to look at more white/non-"minority" players for their rosters?

I think the Rooney rule has become a bit of a joke. I liked the spirit of it to give minorities a chance to be recognized, but I don't think its needed anymore. I mean how do you think some of them feel when they go in for the interview? In most cases I'm sure the Owner/GM have a good idea of who they are going to hire before they start the process. I don't think us hiring Mike Shanhan has anything to do with the color of his skin. Its that Danny and Bruce think he is the best coach for this team.

to the person who said the Rooney rule is not racist. You apparently don't know what the word means. An enforced rule that's sole purpose is promote or degrade a person based solely on a racial characteristic is racist. The Rooney rule does exactly that. I agree with those that said it isn't affirmative action and isn't as bad, but you can't fight racism with racism. To separate and differentiate people based on racial charecteristic does NOT bring us together as Americans or Humans.

If I own a team and am about to shell out millions of dollars to a new coach, I'm going to hire whoever the hell I want. You can impose a foolish rule that makes me humor a minority candidate (if my first candidate is not) and make a mockery of things, or just do away with the rule.

BTW, the vast majority of players in this league are black--should we start forcing teams to look at more white/non-"minority" players for their rosters?

The Rooney Rule doesn't "force" anyone to hire anybody.

I love the Rooney Rule.

But Gray is a huge weasel for interviewing behind his back. There is no doubt about that.

Gray didn't have to do it. He wasn't forced. If he can't get a job, that's his fault. I don't think it will hurt him, though/ Zorn was the HC in name only. Everyone knew he was already out.

This is quite possibly one of the biggest jokes in the NFL. I am all for equal opportunity, but they should just do away with this rule. My theory is that if you are qualified, then you will be hired for that position, it's not based on the color of your skin.

How many black head coaches were their before the rule compared to after the rule? I don't know so I'm asking.

Jim Zorn is still the head coach and therefore IF he is fired... who's to say the Redskins won't interview more people (minorities included)??

We can't take a journalist's word for it. Everything we've heard has been through the media.

NO ONE predicted the Jim Zorn hire

NO ONE predicted the Joe Gibbs hire

it may be another surprise who knows :whoknows:

Very interesting responses. The Rooney Rule is imperfect and probably needs to be tweaked in order to achieve it's intended affect, but for those of you who say a person should be hired on their merits alone must not understand not only the history of this country, but also the history of the NFL. Yeah it's a new day and time, but many of these teams are owned by people from a different day and time. I'm not trying to have an inflamed discussion about race, but I would hope that we could have an honest respectful discussion, after all we are all Redskins fans. The bottomline is the Rooney Rule and affirmative action programs would not be necessary if we were judged by the "content of our character" the reality is we have not been that nation. Are we making great strides, absolutely!

The Rooney rule is now a joke...it's outdated and humiliating...hire the right guy for the job whether he's purple or pink doesn't matter...it's degrading to go into an interview to know that the only reason you're there is to make a pomp and circumstance that you're being given a "fair shot" only because the color of your skin so that a prospective employer can meet a quota...f*** the good ol' boy club, hire the right guy regardless of color & hopefully we've gotten to that point as a society...

How many black head coaches were their before the rule compared to after the rule? I don't know so I'm asking.

Hard to link the two. There are more black coaches now... so the pool is larger.

There was a time and place where this rule was needed, but I hope that it doesn't become a double standard... according to the rule, 5 black coaches can be interviewed, but no other coaches... and that would comply.

I just wish people were fired or hired for their performance/character. Perhaps that is the case for the most part, but I know there are a few bad apples out there that look at color...

Jim Zorn is still the head coach and therefore IF he is fired... who's to say the Redskins won't interview more people (minorities included)??

We can't take a journalist's word for it. Everything we've heard has been through the media.

NO ONE predicted the Jim Zorn hire

NO ONE predicted the Joe Gibbs hire

it may be another surprise who knows :whoknows:

Fair point...at this point, NOTHING Little Napoleon does surprises me anymore...NOTHING...

Since the Redskin-related content of this discussion on the topic is minimal and the socio-political element is dominant (with all the wondrous and worthy opining inevitably due to follow :D), and since experience with this topic says it will continue to be such, this now belongs most appropriately in the tailgate. So off we go. :)

Very interesting responses. The Rooney Rule is imperfect and probably needs to be tweaked in order to achieve it's intended affect, but for those of you who say a person should be hired on their merits alone must not understand not only the history of this country, but also the history of the NFL. Yeah it's a new day and time, but many of these teams are owned by people from a different day and time. I'm not trying to have an inflamed discussion about race, but I would hope that we could have an honest respectful discussion, after all we are all Redskins fans. The bottomline is the Rooney Rule and affirmative action programs would not be necessary if we were judged by the "content of our character" the reality is we have not been that nation. Are we making great strides, absolutely!

I agree with what you are saying. But looking at the recent success of Dungy, Lovie Smith, and Tomlin, I think it has shown the african-american coaches are capable. I think most owners/gms now who they want to hire beforehand. So does bringing in a minority candidate really do anything? I guess it helps the candidate get noticed, but that's it. I just see it being a waste of time and kind of like we're only bringing you in to comply with this rule and unless you blow us away with the interview, we already know who our guy is.

The Rooney Rule seems fine to me. After all it doesn't do a thing in terms of forcing a hire or setting an quota. It just demands that minority candidates be interviewed thus letting them meet decision makers and present themselves. Some people just don't understand the good ol boy network that creates itself in certain fields. They hold to utopian myths that the best qualified people get what they deserve. HAHAHAHAHA the fact anyone believes that is HILARIOUS!

Archived