Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hope Campbell is not thinking about going to Carolina

Redzone Offense

We'd be stupid not to offer him the one-year tender, any team that signs him long term would have to give us a first and third round draft choice.

And that is why, contrary to the worshipful followers of one Mr. JC, this thread is relevant. At the very least, this removes one of our options for trade after tendering Jason for that purpose. Now, that doesn't eliminate all of the possible teams but this was a big one, because it seemed most suited to his abilities (more or less) and offered a team a chance to have a decent option at QB without having to take a QB high or reach for one.

That also would mean you get better value. While the other options also want to improve, if they don't feel they are going to compete and have a good, solid roster, would they want Jason? So, the key to getting value for him, if any, is to find someone who has a decent roster and system where Campbell might actually be worth them trading a decent pick for. A team like Oakland does not strike me as a place, for example, that would be a good destination, BUT they do have some running backs there, some young, big receivers that maybe could help out Jason if they fit in some pieces to protect him.

I don't know. I was just hoping Jason would do well enough to justify the pick to another team.

A team is going to have to have to trade for Jason if they want him. I think that is the most realistic scenario. No team is going to give up a high draft pick to sign him away.

I would think a 1 year tender would be preferable, but I think probably both Campbell and the Redskins want to part ways.

A team is going to have to have to trade for Jason if they want him. I think that is the most realistic scenario. No team is going to give up a high draft pick to sign him away.

I would think a 1 year tender would be preferable, but I think probably both Campbell and the Redskins want to part ways.

As much as the extremists on each side want to paint a different picture. This is what's most likely going to happen.

The Skins will tender him. The Skins will negotiate a trade for him below what the tender requires. The Skins will trade him. I guess he'll go for a 4th rounder.

The interesting question is when will this happen? Before or after the draft?

Before the draft, well, you've just showed your hand and will have teams trading up in to the top 4 to get Bradford/Clausen.

After the draft, well, you've just lost whatever leverage you had in trying to trade him.

I think they'll trade him after the draft to make sure they get their guy. Since they're only going to get a mid-round pick anyway, who cares whether it's a 4th or 5th or 6th because of lessened leverage.

I'm not saying one way or the other but do you care to elaborate? Or at least provide ANY additional information other than "he sucks, he can't play"?

I won't even go into his strengths and weaknesses.

I'll just say he's more fragile than a faberge egg.

You need a durable guy to play behind any version of this OL.

In the history of the NFL, there has never been a 3500 yard passer, with 20 tds, that has not started the following year barring injury. Not one. I personally think Skins fans are stupid. We allow other teams to flood our stadium, and we seem to forget what football is all about. Matt Moore proved you can win without having a great QB. Carolina has two, not one, but two 1000 yard backs. They built their offense around the running game. They have a decent line, that can be real good when it's fully healthy. pay very close attention. JC is not the greatest QB, we didn;t draft him to be John Elway. He can be an affecient qb, and with a good team, that is all you need. Granted JC is not B. Rothlisberger either. But he can win, and can produce on the biggest stage in the world. There are so many glaring holes on our team. I mean we see what Jay Cutler is going through.

honestly though, what pick could campbell garner? a 6th rounder? thats what we got for ramsey and i still think ramsey had more value at the time of that trade.

honestly though, what pick could campbell garner? a 6th rounder? thats what we got for ramsey and i still think ramsey had more value at the time of that trade.

You need to savor this last game! Your dream is about to come true! The last time you'll see JC in a Skin's uniform!:cool:

In the history of the NFL, there has never been a 3500 yard passer, with 20 tds, that has not started the following year barring injury.

JC is not the greatest QB, we didn;t draft him to be John Elway. He can be an affecient qb, and with a good team, that is all you need.

Well, there's always a first time. And JC hasn't reached 20 yet, has he? Isn't he still stuck at 18? So it still may not happen. But much of NFL history involved run-first eras, or the old "impossible" defense of the 70s when it came to passing and before the evolution of the West Coast offense and emphasis on short passing game and rules changes. So, the actual sample you have to look at is about 1993/4 until now. What you say might be true but as we've said here, a lot of QBs probably would have been benched playing as he does or because the team has been bad. I'd reckon there were a few injuries also.

I think the NFL is finally going to reach the Quarterback Golden Age that the 80s was, but there was a generational gap, it seems to me for about a decade. The great teams had great QBs but then there were a bunch of awful QBs everywhere else. So, most guys weren't doing that at the time and if they were, they were actually good players or at least flashed potential. Also, teams may or may not have been likely to give up on a guy because there was such a dearth of talent at the position overall.

As for we didn't draft him to be Elway--we didn't? Why trade up to REACH for a 2nd/3rd round talent who threw an astonishingly low attempts per game throughout his career at a college that doesn't produce QBs with any regularity? Maybe not Elway, but certainly Gibbs saw something? I mean, why not continue with drafting that late round guy and seeing if he could develop? Why not trade for a Brees and hope his shoulder workd out for the best? Why change his approach established in his first tenure?

I have to believe that when he drafted Jason he thought Jason would develop, spot obvious blitzes, make teams pay and be efficient and not turn the ball over, as well. Combined with his arm, I'm sure he believed that Jason Campbell could be a top 3-8 QB in the league with ease, otherwise, why trade up and not just look at developing a project QB with smarts and a good college history or a small college guy (Romo sits to pee)?

As for we didn't draft him to be Elway--we didn't? Why trade up to REACH for a 2nd/3rd round talent who threw an astonishingly low attempts per game throughout his career at a college that doesn't produce QBs with any regularity? Maybe not Elway, but certainly Gibbs saw something? I mean, why not continue with drafting that late round guy and seeing if he could develop? Why not trade for a Brees and hope his shoulder workd out for the best? Why change his approach established in his first tenure?

I have to believe that when he drafted Jason he thought Jason would develop, spot obvious blitzes, make teams pay and be efficient and not turn the ball over, as well. Combined with his arm, I'm sure he believed that Jason Campbell could be a top 3-8 QB in the league with ease, otherwise, why trade up and not just look at developing a project QB with smarts and a good college history or a small college guy (Romo sits to pee)?

yeah, gibbs really wanted to trade multiple precious picks for a guy that cant read a defense 5 years into his career. lets not hold jason to a higher standard, even though we essentially gave up about half a farm to get him.

campbell was drafted to be a stud for gibbs. hes been a massive failure.

One good game gives a team their QB of the future?

I guess Campbell is ours then. :party:

see, this is what im talking about. another embarrassing candle homer. doesnt do any research and posts absurd statements without even thinking.

the guy has only started 6 games in his career and already has 2 games where he threw for 3 TDs. Candle has stared over 50 games and has had only 2 games where he threw for 3 TDs.

Candle has massive evidence to the point where we can assess and come to a conclusion. on the other hand, Moore has only started 6 games and is at an early stage of the experiement. and so far not bad making an instant difference from an incompetent offense led by a different QB.

hard to understand?

Don't know. I think it depends on how badly he wants to leave or how badly we want to get rid of him. We won't just dump him for nothing.

I think Ramsey could've brought in a higher pick, but it was clear he was done as a Redskin with Brunell and Campbell on the roster. So we had to take what we could get.

I'd say a 4th or 5th rounder for Campbell.

Don't know. I think it depends on how badly he wants to leave or how badly we want to get rid of him. We won't just dump him for nothing.

I think Ramsey could've brought in a higher pick, but it was clear he was done as a Redskin with Brunell and Campbell on the roster. So we had to take what we could get.

I'd say a 4th or 5th rounder for Campbell.

i think a 4th or 5th is crazy talk. campbell has played so badly down the stretch i doubt a team would give up anything for him. a 6th or 7th is about it. what team wants a dimwitted slow thinking QB who cant read a defense, is inaccurate, and fails in crunch time?

after these last two games i seriously think hes headed to backup land. oakland might be the only team dumb enough to trade for him (and now that i think of it, allen could fleece al davis since they have a history).

i think a 4th or 5th is crazy talk. campbell has played so badly down the stretch i doubt a team would give up anything for him. a 6th or 7th is about it. what team wants a dimwitted slow thinking QB who cant read a defense, is inaccurate, and fails in crunch time?

after these last two games i seriously think hes headed to backup land. oakland might be the only team dumb enough to trade for him (and now that i think of it, allen could fleece al davis since they have a history).

A team would give up a 4th or 5th rounder for a backup.

QBs have extremely high value.

campbell was drafted to be a stud for gibbs. hes been a massive failure.

I said years ago, I think before Gibbs retired again, that his entire second tenure would have to be judged by what Jason Campbell did.

So, we can close that chapter and declare it a failure. It would be one thing if we won a SB or even WENT to one. But Gibbs terrible QB decisions throughout his second tenure doomed this team to failures that it did not NEED to suffer. With only the POSSIBLE (I still think ramsey would have done well in 05) exception of 05, he made the wrong choice or took way too long to make a change at the spot. Aside from starting decisions, his "try not to lose' approach had the team leadership MULTIPLE times have meetings with him to encourage him to open it up and go for the win.

I'd also argue that while Collins should have started in 06, I would have understood if Campbell started. He should hav started from the beginning. I have a feeling that after a year of sitting on the bench and getting a full season that Jason would have shown what he was more clearly and 07 may have begun with Todd Collins starting (or maybe after 3-4 games, being inserted.) EVerything we know about the Skins would have been different, even with all the bad stuff, had Joe made better QB-related decisions.

In a way, Vinny has taken as much heat for Joe Gibbs as for his own known choices.

Well, there's always a first time. And JC hasn't reached 20 yet, has he? Isn't he still stuck at 18? So it still may not happen. But much of NFL history involved run-first eras, or the old "impossible" defense of the 70s when it came to passing and before the evolution of the West Coast offense and emphasis on short passing game and rules changes. So, the actual sample you have to look at is about 1993/4 until now. What you say might be true but as we've said here, a lot of QBs probably would have been benched playing as he does or because the team has been bad. I'd reckon there were a few injuries also.

I think the NFL is finally going to reach the Quarterback Golden Age that the 80s was, but there was a generational gap, it seems to me for about a decade. The great teams had great QBs but then there were a bunch of awful QBs everywhere else. So, most guys weren't doing that at the time and if they were, they were actually good players or at least flashed potential. Also, teams may or may not have been likely to give up on a guy because there was such a dearth of talent at the position overall.

You have to go back to the Air Coryell days to see a changed from the 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Really you can start with "Old Black Shoes" Johnny Unitas and the 1st two minute drill in the 1958 World Championship game to see the NFL adapting to a more vertical game. I think with Johnny U, the NFL became a quarter backs league. I know what you are saying though. If you want to mark the early 90's as the era when Quarter Back began to rule, I will give that to you. I don't agree though, Dan Marino, John Elway, Joe Montana, The Skins QB's, were tossing pig skin like confete. But regardless, no QB with JC stats has been benched or released during the unsuing off season. Come on man, this is the NFL. The man had more systems to deal with than Cisco. When our parts were healthy JC was a 6-2 QB, beating some of the stallworths of the NFC East. The bad thing is if JC tossed for 4000 yards and 30 TDs we still would be 8-8 at best. He can not tackle or block. Ther are only two QB's that made their team better than their collective parts and they are Dan Marino, and John Elway.

Which is a nice segway into my next point. JC is no John Elway. I wish I could get into Joe Gibbs head. I mean I love the guy for the chips he brought, but his personell moves left a lot to be desired. Honestly step back for a moment. Instead of Mark Brunell we could have had, Kerry Collins or Kurt Warner. I know Kerry is no christian, but Kurt is. Gibbs and Kurt could have praised the lord and converted Skins fans at random. I have a real problem with a guy that uses religious convictions to make personell descisions. JC was not John Elway in college. He was not leading Stanford down the field against Cal. JC was a winner, period. He has been resolved in this circus we call the Washington Redskins. Who in the love of God could be productive in this situation? We fire Presidents with a little under a month left, after a win none less. JC has improved in impossible conditions. I just hope the SKins management can improve. Tired of seeing players leave our team, and winning hard ware with other teams. I hope skins fans stop looking for greener grass on the other side.

Archived