Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Portis gives Shanahan a 'thumbs-up vote'

TK

So much disloyalty to the guy who carried this team to so many wins by himself....

Just my opinion...

As a fan you have no obligation to be loyal to a player. The loyalty always goes to the uniform first and let's not act like he wasn't compensated. He's made a lot of money in this business...and this is a business, not a family. We've made even more painful decisions in the past. It sucked that we had to lose Gary Clark and Art Monk, two guys who were winners, quiet and classy BTW, but we did it.

We shouldn't have to pay millions this year simply for winning games in the past. You don't see Shawn Alexander still lingering around Seattle or Brett Favre in GB. It's all about wins and when it's time to move on for the best of the franchise you do it.

I think CP is worried about Shanny coming in because Shanny proved he didn't need CP in Denver.

I don't know if he ever proved he didn't need him. Some of the RBs that came after CP was decent, but they never had another top RB under Shanny. Tatum Bell, Mike Bell, Maurice Clarett, etc. Since our trade for CP, we've had just CP. The Broncos have had at least 5 different RBs.

As a fan you have no obligation to be loyal to a player. The loyalty always goes to the uniform first and let's not act like he wasn't compensated. He's made a lot of money in this business...and this is a business' date=' not a family. We've made even more painful decisions in the past. It sucked that we had to lose Gary Clark and Art Monk, two guys who were winners, quiet and classy BTW, but we did it.

We shouldn't have to pay millions this year simply for winning games in the past. You don't see Shawn Alexander still lingering around Seattle or Brett Favre in GB. It's all about wins and when it's time to move on for the best of the franchise you do it.[/quote']

I agree 100% with everything you said.

My thing is, a lot of the comments directed at CP seem like they are more so bashing him. Even if he does leave this off-season, I just personally think he deserves a little more respect for what he's done.

As a fan you have no obligation to be loyal to a player. The loyalty always goes to the uniform first and let's not act like he wasn't compensated. He's made a lot of money in this business...and this is a business' date=' not a family. We've made even more painful decisions in the past. It sucked that we had to lose Gary Clark and Art Monk, two guys who were winners, quiet and classy BTW, but we did it.

We shouldn't have to pay millions this year simply for winning games in the past. You don't see Shawn Alexander still lingering around Seattle or Brett Favre in GB. It's all about wins and when it's time to move on for the best of the franchise you do it.[/quote']

Great post.

Loyalty is great, but you shouldn't cling to every player that has performed at a certain level. Eventually, keeping that salary/roster spot/personality/ego on the team can become a detriment to your franchise. When that happens, you have to cut ties. This isn't a fraternity, it's a football team that needs to focus on making the best decisions possible to sustain (or in our case, find) success.

Portis had a good run here. But he's worn down, overpaid, and not always a team-first guy. That's not the type of player you keep to begin a new era.

My thing is, a lot of the comments directed at CP seem like they are more so bashing him. Even if he does leave this off-season, I just personally think he deserves a little more respect for what he's done.

CP has gotten what the line has given him... His fall-down-anytime-someone-looks-at-him technique is lame. Watching Betts/Mason/Ganther/Cartwright actually RUN WITH A PURPOSE was just the nail in the coffin.

OK, gotcha.:) What has hurt him is he has been a lightning rod for criticism for being outspoken.

CP has gotten what the line has given him... His fall-down-anytime-someone-looks-at-him technique is lame. Watching Betts/Mason/Ganther/Cartwright actually RUN WITH A PURPOSE was just the nail in the coffin.

You say that.. but Portis has out performed all of them...

Ganther has 3 TD's though, so that counts for a lot.. but as far as YPC and YPG... Portis has done better than them. I would like to see how he would have fared against Denver, Philly, and N.O.... we would had our mini "offensive revival"

You say that.. but Portis has out performed all of them...

Ganther has 3 TD's though, so that counts for a lot.. but as far as YPC and YPG... Portis has done better than them. I would like to see how he would have fared against Denver, Philly, and N.O.... we would had our mini "offensive revival"

Of course he did better than those guys. They are all marginal NFL players and he was a 2nd (??) round draft pick out of Miami and a previous Pro Bowl caliber RB.

Let me ask you this though...did he outperform any of them enough to justify making 5-10x what each of them makes?

I don't think we have had an opportunity to accurately judge CP this year. You guys act like these new RBs have played so great, but guess what, they haven't. Ganther ran for like what, 25 yds this week? And we've had the threat of a passing game for the first time, and still no running yds.

Jim Zorn is an awful coach and has handicapped this team. I refuse to believe that CP is as done as everyone thinks he is. The guy was a beast LAST year, not three years ago, not five, but last year.

I don't think we have had an opportunity to accurately judge CP this year. You guys act like these new RBs have played so great, but guess what, they haven't. Ganther ran for like what, 25 yds this week? And we've had the threat of a passing game for the first time, and still no running yds.

Jim Zorn is an awful coach and has handicapped this team. I refuse to believe that CP is as done as everyone thinks he is. The guy was a beast LAST year, not three years ago, not five, but last year.

so, we pony up 6.5 mil in 2010 and even more in 2011? Nope. Not worth the risk. If it's an uncapped year and we can cut and resign for much less then maybe. Unless he's willing to take less money in 2010 he'll price himself out of a job altogether.

Yeah, he's brash, outspoken and even shows his ass sometimes, but my issue is what we owe him. He's not worth what he's owed.

What? Man, we were blown out of the water from jump street. Do you honestly believe that we had the opportunity and the luxury to establish a consistent running game last Monday?

I don't think we have had an opportunity to accurately judge CP this year...I refuse to believe that CP is as done as everyone thinks he is. The guy was a beast LAST year, not three years ago, not five, but last year.

I really don't think that is relevant at all. When you are bringing in a new GM and a brand new coaching staff (presumably), this is the time that it's OK (and even encouraged) to jettison players a year or two too early. When evaluating this roster, I really hope the decision-makers ask themselves "What can this guy do for me BEYOND 2010/2011?" That is what our target should be. It will give us two full off-seasons (hopefully one of which is uncapped) to re-constitute this team in the image of our new GM/coaching staff.

When looking at Portis, he just doesn't fit the bill to me. He'll be 29 years old, coming off of season-ending injuries in 2 of the past 4 years, and have over 2,400 touches before he takes his next live snap in the NFL. That's not a long-term guy to keep on the roster.

What? Man, we were blown out of the water from jump street. Do you honestly believe that we had the opportunity and the luxury to establish a consistent running game last Monday?

In his best game against the raiders, he had like 50 yds. The only backup that ran for 100 yds this year was Betts. We haven't had a consistent running game all year, because our O-line is awful and we had no passing game until about 4 weeks ago. CP never stood a chance this year.

So much disloyalty to the guy who carried this team to so many wins by himself....

Just my opinion...

So many wins? From what I recall, Betts had a good stretch of games to get some wins as well. Regardless, we were not elite with Portis, having not even eclipsed 10 wins.

so' date=' we pony up 6.5 mil in 2010 and even more in 2011? Nope. Not worth the risk. If it's an uncapped year and we can cut and resign for much less then maybe. Unless he's willing to take less money in 2010 he'll price himself out of a job altogether.

Yeah, he's brash, outspoken and even shows his ass sometimes, but my issue is what we owe him. He's not worth what he's owed.[/quote']

Thats a fair argument. Thats the problem with these back loaded contracts though. We may never get in cap trouble, but this is a perfect example of it coming back to bite us.

Fortunately, we've had a great group of guys that has been willing to keep restructuring throughout the years. Maybe CP would be willing to do that?

Thats a fair argument. Thats the problem with these back loaded contracts though. We may never get in cap trouble, but this is a perfect example of it coming back to bite us.

Fortunately, we've had a great group of guys that has been willing to keep restructuring throughout the years. Maybe CP would be willing to do that?

But why keep doing that for a player who's only going to give you less and less output on the field? If 2010 is uncapped, you have to take advantage and unload the players (Samuels, Portis, Thomas, ARE, etc.) with the bad contracts you've accumulated over the years.

I think CP is worried about Shanny coming in because Shanny proved he didn't need CP in Denver.

Did he though?

After Portis left none of those RB's came near his talent level or his numbers. A few of them came close but none of them proved to be an everydown back nor found success like Portis did here.

I have always felt that Shanahan was proved wrong by Portis and that not everyone can be a great success in Shanny's running game. Everyone can be a mild to good success in Shanny's running game but not a great success like Portis was.

Archived