Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Portis gives Shanahan a 'thumbs-up vote'

TK

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/portis-gives-shanahan-a-thumbs.html#more

Portis gives Shanahan a 'thumbs-up vote'

Jim Zorn still has two more games remaining as the Redskins' head coach, but if the team opts to make a change, former Denver coach Mike Shanahan has already received an endorsement from the team's unofficial "assistant general manager." Injured running back Clinton Portis said today "if they have a change, then of course they would get the thumbs-up vote for me for Coach Shanahan."

"If Coach Zorn is done, I would think that's a great direction to go in, if you can get Coach Shanahan," Portis said during his weekly appearance on "The John Thompson Show" on ESPN 980. "But I don't know if Coach Zorn will be gone."

Portis, who hasn't played since suffering a concussion Nov. 8 and was placed on the season-ending injured reserve liston Dec. 8, said he thinks he could again be an effective running back under Shanahan. Portis began his career playing for Shanahan in Denver, where he twice topped 1,500 yards and scored a combined 31 touchdowns in two seasons. He has topped 1,500 yards just once in six seasons in Washington and has never matched his Broncos touchdown numbers.

"You've seen my track record with Mike Shanahan," Portis said.

With Jon Gruden choosing to remain in the ESPN broadcast booth in 2010 and Mike Holmgren accepting a front-office position in Cleveland, Shanahan seems to be the likely front-runner. Redskins secondary coach Jerry Gray has also interviewed, according to multiple sources.

Portis said that he never had a problem with Shanahan, and that he left Denver on his terms.

"Mike Shanahan gave me an opportunity. He asked me, man-to-man, 'Do you want to be here? We can pay you and we'll keep you here. Or if you feel like you want to leave, I will allow that.' So I chose to leave," Portis said.

Since suffering a concussion, Portis has said on multiple occasions that the Redskins would face major changes at season's end, and he wasn't certain he'd fit into the team's plans beyond 2009. Speaking today for the first time since Bruce Allen was hired as general manager last week, Portis acknowledged the team's evaluation process and offered an endorsement for himself and his abilities.

"I think my evaluation would be great," he said. "It just depends on how people feel about you. I'll leave that up to them to decide."

Portis was asked what advice he'd offer Allen in that evaluation process, and it seemed like he'd already given the matter some thought.

"I think you find your playmakers and you put the game on them," he said. "You find out the niches of each of your playmakers and you feed them. ...We got so much talent and as a team, to be in this situation, to not have a go-to guy -- Who's our go-to guy? Who's our bread-and-butter guy? I don't think you can identify that.

"Yesterday I was thinking, 'Who's going to win our offensive MVP at our Redskins' luncheon next year?' So who do you give that to? When you have a quesiton of who your MVP is on offense, I think that's a tough year. Just find a guy and make that your guy. Everybody else got to contribute around him."

I think CP is worried about Shanny coming in because Shanny proved he didn't need CP in Denver.

I'd think Portis would be worried about anyone coming in that is going to ignore contracts and relationships and go strictly by performance.

I don't have a problem with Portis saying this as long as he doesn't comeback and ***** about fingers being pointed at him. You reap what you sow.

If he just doesn't comment on these things then he wouldn't be considered a prima donna and Snyder's puppet. The media is obviously looking for quotes like these and Portis is eating it up. So when things don't go right he's going to also be in the limelight.

Also notice how its still being said Gray interviewed for the HC job. That was a week ago. Notice how the PR Dept. Hasn't put out a press release denying it & how neither Zorn or Grey will talk about it.

Betts, Ganther, and Mason proved we don't either :)

Was that some kind of endorsement for Betts,Ganther or Mason?

Hope not, because none of them are putting up quality numbers =p

Who knows tho, maybe under Shanny, they will? Hope so, would be nice to have one of those guys go buck wild the next few years so we didn't have to fill the RB position as well as others.

**edit** Actually, I take some of that back. Ganther is getting in the endzone but he needs to get his YPC up.

Was that some kind of endorsement for Betts,Ganther or Mason?

Hope not, because none of them are putting up quality numbers =p

Who knows tho, maybe under Shanny, they will? Hope so, would be nice to have one of those guys go buck wild the next few years so we didn't have to fill the RB position as well as others.

**edit** Actually, I take some of that back. Ganther is getting in the endzone but he needs to get his YPC up.

I endorse anyone with more effort, heart and LESS attitude or helmet slinging. It's time to clean house and It's hard to figure out who to kick 1st... Portis or Blache?

I endorse anyone with more effort, heart and LESS attitude or helmet slinging. It's time to clean house and It's hard to figure out who to kick 1st... Portis or Blache?

Yea, sadly I have to agree. Blache I don't feel bad about at all, I never liked stubborn coaches who refuse to adapt to how the NFL changes or try to play to a players strengths.

Portis tho, makes me sad..I do agree it is time to part ways, but dude was a beast here, but his act has indeed been wore out.

Archived