Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Portis gives Shanahan a 'thumbs-up vote'

TK

Koolblue13, I have a world of respect for you as a fan, also, I respect your position on this matter. However, Portis is coming off a concussion, could not practice before it due to injury, and is a headache for management. Also, his contract pretty much guaranties he won't be traded. CP will most likely retire or be traded to a friend to help offset the cost of cutting him, a la Jake Plumber.

Regardless, CP is shot. He is through in this league.

it really doesn't matter the cost to cut him this coming year... uncapped 2010 as it stands right now.

it really doesn't matter the cost to cut him this coming year... uncapped 2010 as it stands right now.

Maybe not in cap terms, but with significant guaranteed money due in 2010, its not that straight forward. The cash still needs to be paid. Will Synder pay several million $$$ just to pay him off ?

If Shannahan is here, then we won't need high-priced RBs to be successful. Denver was an RB factory because of the system they ran, not because they had so much talent at RB year after year.

Remember, Shannahan was willing to part with Portis just when Portis was putting up huge numbers as a young stud. He's confident that whoever is the RB, they will be still be successful in the running game because of the system.

Portis wants Shannahan here because of job security and nostalgia. If Shannahan is here, I'm sure he will have no problem dealing Portis if need be. He does just fine without him.

If Shannahan is here, then we won't need high-priced RBs to be successful. Denver was an RB factory because of the system they ran, not because they had so much talent at RB year after year.

-He did a lot better when he had Portis and TD, than when he had his committee's

Remember, Shannahan was willing to part with Portis just when Portis was putting up huge numbers as a young stud. He's confident that whoever is the RB, they will be still be successful in the running game because of the system.

-Look at how that trade worked out for them the first few years,.

Portis wants Shannahan here because of job security and nostalgia. If Shannahan is here, I'm sure he will have no problem dealing Portis if need be. He does just fine without him.

-Why would we deal the best back on our team who we have to pay no matter what?

-He did a lot better when he had Portis and TD, than when he had his committee's

Actually, Denver's rushing attack got better in 2004 and 2005, the first two seasons Portis was in Washington. Except for one year, Denver's rushing attack was in the top-10 of TDs and yards per rush average from 2004 to 2008. Although close, the rushing numbers in Washington weren't really better than in Denver while Portis has been here.

-Look at how that trade worked out for them the first few years,.

In that trade, Denver got a 2nd round pick packaged with Bailey. They got a shutdown corner who was entering his prime. Bailey is still playing at a high level, and will continue to do so. Bailey probably wasn't a top CB his first year or two in Denver, but remember, Portis' first year here was hardly a success either (maybe 5 TDs all season I think), and he was significantly injured in 2006 and this year. Portis is looking more and more like he's interested in retiring than playing. Bailey has been to a number of pro bowls and still has a few years left in him. Overall, Denver got a sweet deal that continues to benefit them.

-Why would we deal the best back on our team who we have to pay no matter what?

Maybe we don't have to deal him per se, but I probably should have said that he is expendable should Shanahan coach here. It's a position that can be upgraded for sure. Our season won't die if Portis isn't our RB in 2010.

Betts, Ganther, and Mason proved we don't either :)

Really? What did they do? I don't think i've seen any of them carry this team yet. Betts did it in 06. He's older than Portis though. These other backs can't carry the load like Portis. Another running back would have to be drafted or signed to really replace Portis.

Portis gets a lot of undeserved hate from the fan base. I hope Bruce Allen keeps him on board for at least one more season with a rebuilt offensive line.

That said, IF Shanahan becomes the head coach, I wonder if Portis will drop weight and become that 210ish lb back he used to be. Should be interesting to see if he tries to regain some of that quickness and cut-back ability he seems to have dropped. He was so successful in Denver as that kind of back, I can only believe that Shanahan would want that guy.

Bing.

Good post and I agree with you 100%. This is exactly what i would like to see next year, a lighter healthier Portis.

:D

Archived