Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL Network: Holmgren not signing with the Browns

veteranskinsfan

Hell,

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/11/02/holmgren-redskins-treatment-of-zorn-was-wrong/

News

Holmgren: Redskins’ treatment of Zorn was wrong Posted: November 2nd, 2009 | NFL.com Staff | Tags: Jim Zorn, Mike Holmgren, Washington Redskins

The bridge that was connecting Mike Holmgren to the Washington Redskins head coaching job, should it come open, might have been blown up on Monday. And Holmgren was the one holding the gasoline can in one hand and a burned match in the other.

Holmgren was asked by Chicago ESPN 1000 radio hosts, Tom Waddle and Marc Silverman, what he thought about the Redskins removing the play-calling duties from head coach Jim Zorn, who was Holmgren’s quarterbacks coach in Seattle.

“I thought it was very unfair to put him in the position. The position they put Jim in, it shouldn’t happen,” Holmgren said. “You can be upset with me as a play-caller or how the team’s going, (then) fire me. But don’t do that. Don’t pull the rug out from under me, tie my hands, make me look foolish … take away what I came there for to do in the first place. Don’t do that.”

It has been rumored that the Redskins were on Holmgren’s short list of teams he would like to coach should he come out of retirement in 2010, an idea he has been publicly pushing for months. He has said on at least one occasion that he would love to coach on the East Coast after long stints in the Midwest with Green Bay and the West Coast in Seattle.

Time will tell if he has eliminated himself from the Redskins job after his strong comments on Monday, or if Holmgren was eliminating himself after witnessing the team’s treatment of a good friend.

“That bothered me a lot,” Holmgren said. “Jim Zorn is one of the nice people. I’m a nice guy, but I’m not that nice. Jim Zorn is really a nice man. What they did, I did not like it at all.”

/thread

I'm not saying I want Zorn, nor do I think he's a particularly good coach, but... are you kidding?

No, actually Im not. He came in to do a job and failed at it. This team has looked somewhat competent, and at times pretty good, ever since Zorn hasnt had anything to do besides throw the red flag. He'll will have had two years to show improvement, and it has not happened. I dont see how he's been treated poorly.

I really hope this was a joke....If not I'm really at a loss for words to respond to your comment

Lol. Nah, it wasnt meant as a joke, so apparently I have missed something along the way. No surprise though, aside from watching the games, Ive spent no time at all researching this team since about week 5. That includes this board.

So, what'd I miss?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4757967

click link for entire article

Holmgren declines Seattle's job offer

ESPN.com news services

The Seattle Seahawks offered a job to former coach Mike Holmgren in a "senior leadership position," but Holmgren declined the offer, the team announced Saturday.

Holmgren, who has also interviewed with the Cleveland Browns for their director of football operations position, met with members of the Seahawks staff, including CEO Tod Leiweke.

"I sincerely thank Paul Allen and Tod for all their support over the years," Holmgren said in a statement. "I thank them for reaching out to me and we conclude these discussions as friends."

The 61-year-old Holmgren won a Super Bowl with the Packers and led the Seahawks to their only Super Bowl appearance as a head coach.

Leiweke said the team met with Holmgren after becoming aware of the time he spent with the Browns and the "associated time pressures" from that situation.

"We hold Mike in high regard and wish the Holmgren family the very best with their new horizons," Leiweke said.

It is presumed the Browns offered Holmgren the job during his visit and it appears he is weighing his options, which could include several other teams in the days and weeks ahead.

Jim Donovan, the Browns' play-by-play announcer, reported Wednesday night that Cleveland's offer to Holmgren is for between $8 million and $10 million per season.

Why is this a discussion?

1. Holmgren isn't interested in coaching again.

2. Holmgren isn't interested in the Redskins organization after the Zorn-playcalling fiasco.

3. We've got someone (Bruce Allen) in the position Holmgren would fill.

I can't wait until Jan. 4th and all of this foolishness ceases.

Why is this a discussion?

1. Holmgren isn't interested in coaching again.

2. Holmgren isn't interested in the Redskins organization after the Zorn-playcalling fiasco.

3. We've got someone (Bruce Allen) in the position Holmgren would fill.

I can't wait until Jan. 4th and all of this foolishness ceases.

It's ES. The foolishness never ceases.

Maybe, but I was thinking he might be considered for the HC/GM at Dallas too. He seems to be waffling on the Cleveland deal.

+1.

If Gruden (ESPN) and Shanny are off the table, and Tubby didn't save his job by beating the Saints (& I think he needs a Playoff victory to do it) ... then really only Holmgren and Cowher are in play for JJones... unless he goes the coordinator route again

Archived