Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Evolution of Mexico

Ellis

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/09/19/mexico.police.killed/index.html?hpt=T2

Eight police officers found dead in southern Mexico

Mexico City, Mexico (CNN) -- Eight of nine police officers from Mexico's Guerrero state who disappeared after an attack have been found dead, state media reported.

A ninth officer was injured but survived the attack, which occurred when the officers were investigating a death Friday evening, the state-run news agency Notimex said Saturday.

A group of armed attackers intercepted the officers in northern Guerrero Friday, the state attorney general's office said in a statement late Saturday, according to Notimex.

State prosecutors have opened a homicide investigation to find the people responsible for the police officers' deaths, the statement said.

Six of the officers were found dead in a pickup truck on a highway Saturday. Their bodies had been mutilated, the prosecutors' statement said.

Two other officers from the group were found dead in the neighboring state of Mexico earlier Saturday, police said, according to Notimex. The official vehicle in which they had been traveling to investigate the death was found nearby.

The officers were attacked by 30 armed individuals, the agency said.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/09/19/mexico.newspaper.cartels/index.html?hpt=T1

Mexican newspaper to cartels: 'We do not want more deaths'

(CNN) -- On the same day friends and family buried slain photographer Luis Carlos Santiago Orozco, the newspaper he worked for, El Diario, in an unprecedented move published an open letter to the drug cartels operating in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico.

No newspaper in Juarez has ever published an editorial directly addressed to the cartels that are battling for the trafficking corridor in the city. The letter, written by the editorial staff of the newspaper and published, pleaded with the drug gangs to end violence against journalists.

"You are, at present, the de facto authorities in this city," the newspaper's letter to the cartels said, "because the legal institutions have not been able to keep our colleagues from dying."

Santiago, 21, was killed last week while sitting in a parked car outside a shopping mall in Juarez. He is the second journalist from the paper to be killed in the last two years.

He was shot multiple times from close range, and a colleague with him was wounded. Authorities have not linked the death to the cartels, nor have authorities offered any speculation on who might have committed the killing.

"We do not want more deaths," the newspaper's letter to the cartels said Sunday. "We do not want more injuries or even more intimidation. It is impossible to exercise our role in these conditions. Tell us, then, what do you expect of us as a medium?"

The letter continued: "This is not a surrender. Nor does it mean that we've given up the work we have been developing. Instead it is a respite to those who have imposed the force of its law in this city, provided they respect the lives of those who are dedicated to the craft of reporting."

• 4 weeks later...

same song ,different verse :(

The severed head of a Mexican police commander investigating the fatal shooting of U.S. citizen David Michael Hartley on Falcon Lake was delivered Tuesday to Mexican military in a suitcase, authorities said.

The commander, identified as Rolando Flores Villegas, was one of the investigators that family members met during a meeting last week at an international bridge near Roma, said Cynthia Young, the mother of Hartley's widow, Tiffany.

Officials said the head was delivered in the vicinity of Miguel Alemán, Mexico, across the border from Roma, Texas.

The area is known to be under control of the Zeta drug cartel, which fiercely protects the sparsely populated ranchland lining the border, as well as the Mexican side of the vast Falcon Lake reservoir.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7243583.html

How long are they going to continue to treat this like a criminal problem? Why would cops even want to investigate knowing 6 will be sent out and 30 will intercept them? Declare war already and purge the state of this disease.

totally agree.. it's as if they plug their ears and pretend it is not what it is.

~Bang

There's probably a bizarre yet good reason to keeping it classified as a criminal problem.

Maybe there's a fine line the Mexican gov't is trying not to cross due to international law or international opinion?

Maybe the gov't is avoiding being accused of genocide if they accelerated it to all-out warfare?

What if warfare legitimized the criminal targets on the international stage? Or gave the criminals rights? Or divided the country?

Very sensitive issues at hand for sure.

A few months ago, I had a looooong conversation with a friend of mine who lives in Mexico City. She is born and raised Mexican. I'm probably gonna talk to her again now that a few months have gone by to gauge her opinion now that some time has gone by.

War won't solve the problem. It will only move it someplace else.

They already are using the military and the equivalent of martial law in the North...you don't declare war inside your country.(unless it benefits you).

http://www.salem-news.com/articles/october052010/us-mexico-military.php

Mexico Denies US Special Forces Presence South of the Border

They already are using the military and the equivalent of martial law in the North...you don't declare war inside your country.(unless it benefits you).

http://www.salem-news.com/articles/october052010/us-mexico-military.php

Mexico Denies US Special Forces Presence South of the Border

I wouldn't at all be surprised that US special forces have been fighting the cartels for a while now. But if they have, that means they've been losing.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/10/24/mexico.juarez.shooting/index.html?hpt=T2

Death toll rises in Mexican border city shooting

(CNN) -- The death toll from a shooting at a house party in the violence-plagued Mexican border city of Juarez has climbed to 14, state media reported Sunday.

Chihuahua State Attorney General Carlos Manuel Salas told reporters that another 14 people were injured when gunmen attacked the gathering of young people at a house party Friday, the state-run Notimex news agency reported.

The victims killed were between ages 14 and 30, Notimex said. Children as young as 7 and 11 were among the injured, the agency reported.

It's so bizarre that I can live 40 miles from that and it's pure middle class America.

I live 10 minutes from the Zaragoza International Bridge and there is not an single area in El Paso that I would be worried about walking around in at night.

I really think it is the sheer amount of law enforcement in this area (El Paso and Cruces) that is causing the violence to leapfrog the area. I mean, think about it - just in the El Paso area you have the Border Patrol, El Paso PD, El Paso County, Soccoro PD, Clint PD, Tribal PD, FBI, DEA, Ysleta PD, Texas State Troopers, Texas DPS (Rangers), DHS, and the military police out of Ft. Bliss (and I am sure that I am forgetting a few more smaller agencies). You cannot drive through this town without passing some form of law enforcement vehicle every 5 minutes.

Does anyone else feel that, although Mexican criminals are responsible for their actions, Americans and their stupid drug habits are largely responsible for creating the conditions for Mexican criminals to thrive?

Some times I believed that bro, but believe me the corruption down here has is roots SO DEEP, SO DEEP.

Sad times for this beaten and poor country.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/10/27/mexico.carwash.massacre/index.html?hpt=T2

(CNN) -- Fifteen people were killed Wednesday at a carwash in the western Mexican state of Nayarit, the state attorney general's office told CNNMexico.com.

The attack happened at a business called the Gamboa carwash in the capital, Tepic, and is presumed to be the work of a drug cartel, the state-run Notimex news agency reported, citing local police.

A man had been killed the night before in the same area, police said.

Initial reports by investigators said witnesses heard the gunfire Wednesday morning, only two blocks away from the offices of the federal police, Notimex reported. The federal police responded to the scene to find 15 people dead, including clients and employees of the carwash, the news agency said.

Investigators found hundreds of shell casings from assault rifles.

The mass slaying resulted in the closure of nearby businesses and schools.

Does anyone else feel that, although Mexican criminals are responsible for their actions, Americans and their stupid drug habits are largely responsible for creating the conditions for Mexican criminals to thrive?

*raises hand*

...but everyone already knows that I'd raise it.

Some times I believed that bro, but believe me the corruption down here has is roots SO DEEP, SO DEEP.

Sad times for this beaten and poor country.

But why is there corruption? Because criminals are motivated to be corrupt by the very laws we enact to make them criminals? Seems to me we should repeal those laws.

What's up bros?

All the people I know believes the corruption is the number 1 problem in this country.

The response of the cartels is terrorism, the war on drugs is killing us.

A simple and short story.

At work a bunch of guys and me were talking about the terrorism the country is suffering, a pair of us we have a late friend in common, he was a cop, a young cop and we can say by sure he was honest and he does his job always with justice.

A few days ago he follows a suspect car, with two persons about 25 - 35 years old. He made the detention and the car has a full arsenal of illegal weapons, large weapons, weapons only our army can handle and guees what? ... at least 50 kilos of mariguana, maybe 10 cellular phones and 2 berettas.

Then at the police station a woman arrived and ask him to release this pair of persons, he said no and no way.

She offered the 50 kilos, the car, the weapons, the phones and 200,000 pesos, once again, he said no.

Next day he get killed, simple as that. And the pair of criminals are free right now.

And the police chief at that station gets a new car, you know wich car,right?

Destino show us today's massacre at Nayarit (a beatiful place BTW), the drug lords said to the nation (yes my friends, to the nation!!! first to the federals and then to the people with painted white sheets at the most popular bridges in Juarez) they will kill 134 + 1 persons, just to make a statement because the federals take away from the streets 134 tons of mariguana.

The Congress has links with the cartels, everyone knows that down here. Prove it at least in Michoacan and Acapulco.

Godoy Toscano is a very good friend of "La Tuta"(La Familia), between the two they constructed a very strong relationship based in special favors.

The drugs lords are the kings of Mexico because our goverment let it happen, how?? buying the silence of everyone in the goverment.

The worst is about to happening.

"Funny fact"

If someone commit robbery against us with all the violence of the case we can call the police, the police ask us if we want to raise charges, we say yes, some times they invited us to go to the station and ... they want to extersionate us, if we dont have money they present us at the station with bags of mariguana, claiming is ours.

LOL!!! WTF?????

And I can write aall night loooooooong about this kind of situations.

Sorry the bad grammar.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/11/05/mexico.violence/index.html?hpt=T2

Mexican authorities say top Gulf drug cartel leader is dead

(CNN) -- A leader of the Gulf drug cartel -- Antonio Ezequiel Cardenas Guillen, also known as "Tony the Storm" -- died during a clash with security forces in the border city of Matamoros, Alejandro Poire, security spokesman for the Mexican government, said Friday.

Three other suspected criminals and two members of the Mexican navy also died in the fighting, he said.

The Gulf cartel is one of Mexico's major drug-trafficking organizations. It is based in Matamoros, which is across the border from Brownsville, Texas.

"Today was another significant step in the destruction of criminal organizations that have done so much to damage the people of this country," Poire said.

Archived