Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Evolution of Mexico

Ellis

The brutal Mexican drug-trafficking organization known as the Zetas has made inroads in Guatemala.

I wonder if the "brutal Mexican drug trafficking organization" knows they stole the name of a sorority.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/americas/04/05/mexico.juarez.killings/index.html?hpt=T2

41 die in four days in Juarez killing spree, official says

By Nick Valencia and Arturo Chacon, CNN

April 5, 2011 3:05 p.m. EDT

The most dangerous city in Mexico -- Ciudad Juarez -- suffered one of its bloodiest stretches this year, finishing with 41 homicides in a four-day period, among them a 10-year-old boy who was shot and killed during an attack meant for his father, the spokesman for the Chihuahua state prosecutors office told CNN.

"On Thursday the 31st of March, we had a day with many violent attacks. There was an attack at a bar where 10 people were killed and four more died in different attacks," spokesman Arturo Sandoval said.

On Friday, a group of suspects launched Molotov ****tail bombs into a second bar, causing it to go up in flames. Five people inside the business were burned or died from asphyxiation. Another three people were injured in that attack.

Late Monday, prosecutors said their investigation into the attacks on the bars has not advanced.

"We are doing research and conducting interviews with family and friends of the victims," Sandoval added.

By the end of Sunday, April 3, there were 41 homicides in a 96-hour span, approximately one person killed every 2.3 hours, according to Sandoval.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-13044944

Mexico mass graves found in Tamaulipas state

The number of bodies found in mass graves in north-eastern Mexico over the past week has risen to 88, after 16 more corpses were discovered.

Investigators found four new graves in San Fernando, not far from the United States border.

They were tipped-off by a suspect who was detained on Saturday.

Police said he had confessed to the kidnapping and subsequent killing of dozens of victims, who were travelling through the area on buses.

On Thursday, police found 59 bodies in eight mass graves in San Fernando, in Tamaulipas state. Thirteen more bodies were discovered the following day in two other graves.

Officials say 16 people have been arrested in connection with the discovery of the mass graves, but the motive for the killings remains unclear.

I think it is about time to declare war on these terrorists. All of these stories sadden me. Cartels are starting to act to bold

Terrorism is a tactic. You can't declair war on a tactic...

If you wanted to really strike a death strike on the Mexican Drug Cartels, and make a little postive progress on the national debt and unemployment percentage... All we would have to do is legalize pot and whatever other drug the cartels are dishing.

Use capitalism against them.. That's really all it would take.

Terrorism is a tactic. You can't declair war on a tactic...

If you wanted to really strike a death strike on the Mexican Drug Cartels, and make a little postive progress on the national debt and unemployment percentage... All we would have to do is legalize pot and whatever other drug the cartels are dishing.

Use capitalism against them.. That's really all it would take.

Ding, ding, ding.

How much money are the cartels making off human trafficking? Pretty sure no one is prepared to make slavery legal.

Unless you are claiming slavery is one of their prime products I don't think it matters...

But now that you mention it If the US had a rational immigration policy the illegal allien trade would certianly dry up too. We could solve that problem over night by putting stiff fines on corporations which hire illegals, and give a significant part of that fine to illegals as you step them across the boarder. Again Captialism solves the entire problem if you can just simplify it down to economics.

How much money are the cartels making off human trafficking? Pretty sure no one is prepared to make slavery legal.

Ah, the good ol' "Why don't we just make slavery/murder/rape legal?" counter-argument.

1920's gangsters committed a lot of crimes beyond alcohol distribution, too. Therefore, Prohibition should still be on the books.

Ah, the good ol' "Why don't we just make slavery/murder/rape legal?" counter-argument.

1920's gangsters committed a lot of crimes beyond alcohol distribution, too. Therefore, Prohibition should still be on the books.

Making drugs legal should stand on its own merits. If you think cartels will just throw up their hands and give up if we make drugs illegal, you're insane. They've already diversified. My guess is, you make drugs legal and they double down on slavery, extortion,ransom, etc.

Do you think legalizing drugs in the US will have a similar effect to the cartels in Mexico that ending prohibition did to organized crime in the US? I'm assuming you think that most of the crime and killing that went on during the prohibition period stopped after alcohol was legalized?

(I don't know enough about it myself to contradict that though, just curious)

I do think however that legalizing drugs will have a much smaller impact on the crime in Mexico than people say. There will be plenty of other opportunities for these mass murders and power mongers. This is just my gut feeling though and the thought that a lot of these guys are in it for power and fun not for the drugs.

Making drugs legal should stand on its own merits.

It does.

If you think cartels will just throw up their hands and give up if we make drugs illegal, you're insane.

And if you think the revenues for cartels wouldn't drop dramatically from legalization, you're insane.

They've already diversified. My guess is, you make drugs legal and they double down on slavery, extortion,ransom, etc.

And my guess is, pretending that cutting off the gargantuan flows of money supplied by the drug trade won't put a serious dent in cartel operations is as naive as pretending that legalization will magically end all extortion.

Archived