Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Question. Will Bruce--and Shanny?--want Jason? (MET) (merged)

jimster

I don't see why they wouldn't want Jason Campbell. I don't see Shanahan starting off with a rookie QB. If Jason wants to be back, Allen will re-sign him. Jason has shown that he can play QB in the NFL. Also, Bruce Allen knows already that there will be several NFL teams setting their sights on Jason. Allen knows Jason is talented and can play behind center. The best thing to do is to re-sign him.

I don't see why they wouldn't want Jason Campbell. I don't see Shanahan starting off with a rookie QB. If Jason wants to be back, Allen will re-sign him. Jason has shown that he can play QB in the NFL. Also, Bruce Allen knows already that there will be several NFL teams setting their sights on Jason. Allen knows Jason is talented and can play behind center. The best thing to do is to re-sign him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc2QGdrecTo&feature=related

After seeing this video (posted in a pro-Shanahan forum) -- fast forward to 7:30 into the video -- I am convinced that Campbell cannot run the Shanahan offense. Watch the way Shanahan expects his QBs to progress through reads. Not Jason's strength. He's just not a cerebral enough player. Sure he's physically gifted, but as has been pointed out in other threads, he doesn't read the defense well, and he leaves plays on the field.

The good news in all this, is that he is playing well right now, and his stock is shooting way up. If there's no CBA, he will be a RFA, and we can tender him at $2.792M (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009-restricted-free-agent-tenders.html) and if some QB-hungry team (carolina, buffalo, etc) matches, then we get a 1st and a 3rd! Win - Win!

Allen knows Jason is talented and can play behind center. The best thing to do is to re-sign him.

You don't know squat what Allen thinks of Campbell. If he watches any tape he will probably conclude that Campbell is limited and a journeyman. The best thing to do is to trade Campbell ... and use the No. 6 Draft choice for OLine depth.

This tape shows as many low-lites as hi-lites. That's JC's problem ... he is inconsistent and still very mediocre after 5 years. Skins need a much better QB to compete in NFCEast let alone the remainder of NFL. Look at the top teams ... they have QBs the likes of Peyton, Tom, Drew, Brett, Kurt ... etc. ... you get the message (or should).

After seeing this video (posted in a pro-Shanahan forum) -- fast forward to 7:30 into the video -- I am convinced that Campbell cannot run the Shanahan offense. Watch the way Shanahan expects his QBs to progress through reads. Not Jason's strength. He's just not a cerebral enough player. Sure he's physically gifted, but as has been pointed out in other threads, he doesn't read the defense well, and he leaves plays on the field.

The good news in all this, is that he is playing well right now, and his stock is shooting way up. If there's no CBA, he will be a RFA, and we can tender him at $2.792M (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009-restricted-free-agent-tenders.html) and if some QB-hungry team (carolina, buffalo, etc) matches, then we get a 1st and a 3rd! Win - Win!

If Cutler can run Shanahan's offense, Campbell can too. Cutler has a big arm and is mobile but he makes some incredibly boneheaded plays and consistently forces throws to guys who aren't open. He got away with that in Denver (sometimes) but now that he doesn't have big time playmakers to throw to and a great OL it is biting him in the ass and he has become an interception machine (with a jaw dropping number of INTs in the red zone). Cutler is talented but to say he is a cerebral QB who goes through his progressions very well and finds the right guy to throw to is a major stretch.

Funny how Portis said he will be gone because Danny was going to make changes. I guess he knew something then, I think JC stays. Portis is gone.

only a guess here...but we all have read/heard that Shanny told the Bills that he would only agree if it were an Allen/Shanny package...ironically...we hire Allen..now it sounds like we are interviewing Shanny...is it possible that Snyder asked CP what his thoughts were of how Shanny was as a coach? It also sounds like Shanny was not a big fan of CP (which is why he made that trade for Champ) ...but I agree with you Max...CP must have known that if Danny was going to hire Shanny...his days are now numbered as a skin

If Cutler can run Shanahan's offense, Campbell can too. Cutler has a big arm and is mobile but he makes some incredibly boneheaded plays and consistently forces throws to guys who aren't open. He got away with that in Denver (sometimes) but now that he doesn't have big time playmakers to throw to and a great OL it is biting him in the ass and he has become an interception machine (with a jaw dropping number of INTs in the red zone). Cutler is talented but to say he is a cerebral QB who goes through his progressions very well and finds the right guy to throw to is a major stretch.

I would imagine it would all depend if JC fits Shannys system...I believe if Shanny were to be the next skins coach....he would give JC at least one year to see what he's got

We have total leverage with Jason. We tender him. We keep him, because he may deserve one more lookey see based on how he finishes this year. Or, we trade him for picks. We can't really lose. Cuz we can hard ball a team that makes him an offer that they will have to give us a first and third. Or, a second and third.

Carolina will be reluctant because they don't have a first this year anyway. It's probably in our best interest for Jason to play well these last three games for the ultimate leverage value. For our consideration for next year. And/or draft pick value.

Shanny is a smart man. Some of you people are just plain crazy. Some have sited that Bruce Allen will look at 52 weeks of football. Well over the last 7 games JC has been a good QB. He has played well against playoff caliber teams. We have put up points the last few weeks. JC can do it. The real question is what are the alternatives? For those that are wearing rose colored glasses, Shanny won the Super Bowl with a steady passing games, and dominant running game. He won with an established veteran (John Elway). I see why evaluating football is a full time job, because you arm chair GM's suck. JC is the best choice. if Bruce loks elsewhere I will have a problem with him off the bat. We need an o-line, and good running game. We have the defense. Our defense is better than the ones Shanny won with in Denver. Look at the roster. If Bruce is worth his weight, he will see JC as the best going forward. He has the proper temperment, and he does learn quickly. Some of you guys kill me. Jc went from a deep passing game, to a WCO that require 7 step drops. And if you are not paying attention he learned Sherm Lewis system in a season. JC has improved every year. Now that we may establish a solid front office, what is to say he can't be the QB some never though he'd be? the real question is how do your get rid of a QB with these numbers: 3500 yards, 22 td's, and 15 ints in his second year in a system....and no feature running back?

Agreed. OL is and has always been the key. Hopefully Allen recognizes this right off the bat. Although I'm not a JC fan, I think for the sake of continuity, he may be the best option for this team. The potential is there for JC to have a better season with a solidifed OL. Let's see what this new FO thinks.

The Bowl games this year are going to be very interesting. Watching guys like Pike, McCoy, etc. Personally I think Shanny would love Locker if he were still in the draft. He seems to like quarterbacks with mobility and can throw on the run.

Makes me think of Colt Brennan.:)

This may belong in the "Jason Campbells Reasons For Recent Success" thread, but I remembered an observation by the announcer in the Oakland game and he backed it up with pics, that fits this statement.

In the 4th quarter of the Oakland game, on the Oakland 11, JC checks down to Ganther. Comment by the announcer:

"How about Jason Campbell in the pocket. Earlier in the year when they were having trouble getting the line solidified with the injuries they had to Thomas and Samuels, Jason Campbell said, 'I really couldn't get to my progressions. I'd go one look downfield, go to the checkdown.' How about now, one, two, three (and pics on the screen showing 3 different looks) before he got to the checkdown."

I'm not saying I haven't seen Jason lock onto a receiver. I've seen it plenty of times. But to say he's not cerebral enough to go through his progressions is crazy. On this play he went through all the progressions and checked down in 2.5 sec. I can also think of plenty of times in the first half of the year that he didn't have 2.5 seconds to work with.

This may belong in the "Jason Campbells Reasons For Recent Success" thread, but I remembered an observation by the announcer in the Oakland game and he backed it up with pics, that fits this statement.

In the 4th quarter of the Oakland game, on the Oakland 11, JC checks down to Ganther. Comment by the announcer:

"How about Jason Campbell in the pocket. Earlier in the year when they were having trouble getting the line solidified with the injuries they had to Thomas and Samuels, Jason Campbell said, 'I really couldn't get to my progressions. I'd go one look downfield, go to the checkdown.' How about now, one, two three (and pics on the screen showing 3 different looks) before he got to the checkdown."

I'm not saying I haven't seen Jason lock onto a receiver. I've seen it plenty of times. But to say he's not cerebral enough to go through his progressions is crazy. On this play he went through all the progressions and checked down in 2.5 sec. I can also think of plenty of times in the first half of the year that he didn't have 2.5 seconds to work with.

That, and he's gotten better at reading defenses, particularly blitzes.

Out of curiosity, do you think that Shanahan would want Cutler if the Bears put him on the block?

(I'm not advocating it...I'm just posing the question)

I think Lovie goes first. They just committed a lot of money to Cutler. I can't see them moving him this year.

Jason Stays and the Rabid Colt Brennan fans cry in their pineapple drink.

Jason stays and the excuse mongers get extended contracts, too. Rabies is non-existent in Hawaii. No need to cry in pineapple drinks when it is sunny and 85. Actually, Jason staying is good for Colt Brennan fans, anyway, because he will beat out Jason in a fair competition.

Speaking of Jason Campbell excuses, here is a good list for Tuesday:

The OL didn't protect him.

The receivers weren't running precise roots.

The receivers dropped passes.

The receivers weren't getting open.

The interceptions were not his fault.

The running backs weren't picking up the blitzes.

The OL couldn't get the running game going.

The kicker missed a field goal.

The defense coudn't stop the Giants.

Special teams let Jason down.

The play calling sucked.

The coaching and time management was bad.

They shoudn't have gone for it on fourth and three.

They should have kicked a field goal.

Mother nature.

Personally, since I am playing Campbell in my fantasy league playoffs, it is all or nothing on Jason for me. I fully expect him to throw for at least 3 TD's. While he has let me down most of this season, I still want him to excel. The excuses are just recitations of what I have seen here most of the year.

Archived