Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Question. Will Bruce--and Shanny?--want Jason? (MET) (merged)

jimster

"I'm still a young quarterback, developing, still going through changes. I won't make excuses for myself. You know what you are getting. It's not fake."

"You are down on the wrong person. Other stuff needs to be done and resolved before challenging me."

Jason Campbell, July, 2009. Same interview. He doesn't make excuses for himself. We may be 4-9, but don't be challenging Campbell. Focus on the other stuff. That's what he thinks, and some of you agree.

"I'm still a young quarterback, developing, still going through changes. I won't make excuses for myself. You know what you are getting. It's not fake."

"You are down on the wrong person. Other stuff needs to be done and resolved before challenging me."

Jason Campbell, July, 2009. Same interview. He doesn't make excuses for himself. We may be 4-9, but don't be challenging Campbell. Focus on the other stuff. That's what he thinks, and some of you agree.

You are taking that comment way out of context. Jason was answering a question about being completely removed from the team after the Cutler talks and about the team drafting Sanchez. Not about being challenged as the existing leader, but about being completely gone.

Out of curiosity, do you think that Shanahan would want Cutler if the Bears put him on the block?

(I'm not advocating it...I'm just posing the question)

I don't see the Bears dumping him. If it is an uncapped year, maybe...but still. They gave up two 1st rounders and a 3rd for the guy. They will try to make it work. It is pretty obvious that it was a MAJOR overpay, but they'll try to get him some weapons to throw to in the draft.

i think a lot of people were really high on rookie QBs after Ryan's and Flacco's seasons last year, but that enthusiasm has waned. Ryan seems to have regressed somewhat and Flacco is, at best, about as good (read: game manager) as last year.

add to that that neither of the 2009 blue-chip rookies (Stafford and Sanchez) have played consistently well, and i don't think any team is feeling too optimistic about drafting a QB. none of the QBs coming out in 2010 look any better than 2009's class, and teams probably won't be eager to pay top-10-pick-QB money to anyone, since the rookie cap may be in place by 2011.

so rookies are probably out, and there will be no good QBs in free agency. Jason Campbell is playing well, so we hold on to him. if he maintains this level (the past 5 games) of play through the end of the season, he's our starter next year, no question. if he doesn't, the coaches will probably open up competition with CB5 and whatever veteran QB we bring in.

Tendering him does not mean he will be here. The Redskins lose nothing in tendering him.

if the redskins tender him, we either end up with a 1st+3rd from some other team or we end up with Campbell, right?

that is to say, if we tender him, we can't just lose him with no compensation, right?

i don't really know how the tender thing works. i'd be happy with either retaining Campbell or gaining a 1st+3rd. if we get the picks rather than Campbell, i'd like to see us bring in a FA QB to compete with Colt.

Jason Campbell will be returning next year to the Skins. He's an NFL quarterback and can be effective in any offense the Skins wish to give a try. It would be tough on the team to draft a rookie and start the quarterbacking situation all over again. It would take years for a rookie to develop into a consistently winning quarterback, even if he had great potential...and who knows if a draftee will amount to anything.

I wonder how long it will take for that to be the next hot topic.

We all know Gruden loves him some vet QB's, but what is Allen's approach?

Will he like what he see's enough to keep him around?

Do we keep Jason and bring in a second guy (draft most likely) to compete?

I think Campbell is probably on his way out. He has not been very consistent, and "change" seems to be the theme for 2010.

I think some of you guys are setting yourselves up for disappointment if you're expecting to see Shanahan come in here and expect a QB to sling the ball 40+ times per game, especially with our defense.

His winning teams were built on running the ball effectively, taking measured shots down the field and smart ball control. Score early in the passing game, run the ball to win the game.. The reason that he went the Plummer/Cutler route was because he had a terrible defense forever in Denver.

Archived