Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Question. Will Bruce--and Shanny?--want Jason? (MET) (merged)

jimster

My bad, guys. I merged these and they should have stood alone. Unfortunately, our "un-merge" option is not as it once was. I tried to salvage by changing the title. I beg forgiveness and hope you will manage best you can. Apologies to the OPs.

If Shanahan became coach, I believe he would be more interested in a Colt/Cutler type.

Or a Sam Bradford.

A guy that can drive a team down the field in the 4th, and win games.

wait, some coaches actually like QBs that can do this kinda stuff? get right out of town!

shanny would probably wanna see what colt can do before he drafts another QB. hes definitely a fan of the 40 attempt per game QB.

portis becomes an odd issue though, as he has history with shannahan. gotta wonder if he could stick around if shanny becomes coach.

Zero chance he is back.

There will be boos in the first home game if he doesn't perform. They don't want that. Dan doesn't want that. Jason doesn't want that.

It is beyond repair.

I would put the odds at over zero percent. Maybe more like 15%. Still not good.

But they could start him for two weeks....then put him on the bench if he doesn't perform, and bring in Colt or a new qb if we take one in the first round.

Or, package up JC and Portis together, and trade them for a 2nd round pick to a team like Cleveland. Allen is good in that department.

Look at it from a football point of view. I am sure Shanahan has been evaluating players all season, including Campbell. Jason is a FA but the Redskins can give him a one year tenure offer, meaning they can match any offer. If Jason leaves, they will receive copensation in the form of draft picks. That is one option. A look at potential free agent qb's is not very impressive so the Redskins have a little leverage. Shanahan could look at one of his former backup qb's who know his offense. There are a few young backup qb's who could be available for a late round pick. The draft is very deep at qb. with McCoy, Tebow, Pike, Bradford, Lafevour, Stull, and Canfield. It will be a process. If they decide to try and win now, Jason stays, if they rebuild, look for them to draft a qb.

I would put the odds at over zero percent. Maybe more like 15%. Still not good.

But they could start him for two weeks....then put him on the bench if he doesn't perform, and bring in Colt or a new qb if we take one in the first round.

Or, package up JC and Portis together, and trade them for a 2nd round pick to a team like Cleveland. Allen is good in that department.

The new regime likely wants to come in with a fresh start. They won't want to have the fans turn on them early. They would be idiots if they did.

If they don't at least tender an offer to Campbell, I will be relatively angry. One year at 3 mil and if some team wants to pay him 3.5, happily take their first and third picks and be on our merry way.

Also, I'm a little confused about the "gunslinger" comments. Do you mean guys who are willing to throw the ball all over the field or guys who are able? Campbell has a ridiculous arm, but I think he's been stifled somewhat by the offense. So, he has the ability, but has been coached to be unwilling to act as a gunslinger.

So, if there's a new coaching regime in Shanahan/Gruden/Billick/whoever and they look at Campbell/Collins/Colt/New QB and decide that Campbell is still the starter after next year's pre-season, what conspiracy theory for playing Campbell is the new party line for 90% of ES posts?

Just trying to save time rather than reading them all.

JC has proven that he is a slow learner. Why would a new coach want the same QB who has been thru 3 OCs in 5 pro years and managed to not be effective in any of the systems? Sign JC to an extension hoping that #4 will be the lucky one?

Naw.

I feel bad for JC in a sense because I think Gibbs and Brunell ruined him (for confirmation, what other recent Skins QB refused to throw past 5 yards from scrimmage, and regularly checks down to the negative 4 yard receptions? And what QB did JC tutor under his first 3 years?).

I just think it's time for Campbell to get a fresh start somewhere else, his time in DC is over.

New GM, new HC, new OC, new QB.

Best of luck to ya.

Shanny is a smart man. Some of you people are just plain crazy. Some have sited that Bruce Allen will look at 52 weeks of football. Well over the last 7 games JC has been a good QB. He has played well against playoff caliber teams. We have put up points the last few weeks. JC can do it. The real question is what are the alternatives? For those that are wearing rose colored glasses, Shanny won the Super Bowl with a steady passing games, and dominant running game. He won with an established veteran (John Elway). I see why evaluating football is a full time job, because you arm chair GM's suck. JC is the best choice. if Bruce loks elsewhere I will have a problem with him off the bat. We need an o-line, and good running game. We have the defense. Our defense is better than the ones Shanny won with in Denver. Look at the roster. If Bruce is worth his weight, he will see JC as the best going forward. He has the proper temperment, and he does learn quickly. Some of you guys kill me. Jc went from a deep passing game, to a WCO that require 7 step drops. And if you are not paying attention he learned Sherm Lewis system in a season. JC has improved every year. Now that we may establish a solid front office, what is to say he can't be the QB some never though he'd be? the real question is how do your get rid of a QB with these numbers: 3500 yards, 22 td's, and 15 ints in his second year in a system....and no feature running back?

JC has proven that he is a slow learner. Why would a new coach want the same QB who has been thru 3 OCs in 5 pro years and managed to not be effective in any of the systems? Sign JC to an extension hoping that #4 will be the lucky one?

Naw.

I feel bad for JC in a sense because I think Gibbs and Brunell ruined him (for confirmation, what other recent Skins QB refused to throw past 5 yards from scrimmage, and regularly checks down to the negative 4 yard receptions? And what QB did JC tutor under his first 3 years?).

I just think it's time for Campbell to get a fresh start somewhere else, his time in DC is over.

New GM, new HC, new OC, new QB.

Best of luck to ya.

how has JC proved he is a slow learner?

JC will stay when you think about it. We need to win now. Who is a better option, outside of Manning, Brady, Breese, etc.?

No. That's our problem all along. Thinking we are few played from being a contender. What we need is to blow up the team and start over. GM and HC are going starts, but new QB is next step. This day in age, need QB that can win games and not game manager. Only way JC stays is if no QB to draft or no good FA QB.

No. That's our problem all along. Thinking we are few played from being a contender. What we need is to blow up the team and start over. GM and HC are going starts, but new QB is next step. This day in age, need QB that can win games and not game manager. Only way JC stays is if no QB to draft or no good FA QB.

Implying Oline is not next step. Unreal.

if we change systems again, campbell is worthless because of his inability to quickly learn.

True story.

Although I have to wonder if there isn't value in keeping JC for next season while drafting a QB in the early rounds this year. It gives JC one last chance while giving our new QB a chance to get acclimated to the NFL and for us to draft OL for two drafts before the new guy gets behind center.

True story.

Although I have to wonder if there isn't value in keeping JC for next season while drafting a QB in the early rounds this year. It gives JC one last chance while giving our new QB a chance to get acclimated to the NFL and for us to draft OL for two drafts before the new guy gets behind center.

If we draft a QB it would be better to tender and trade JC so we can get some value out of him.

Let the new QB sit behind someone he can learn from

Archived