Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gruden is NOT a candidate

gorebd82

I've seen a bunch of the Bruce Allen threads popping up and people keep mentioning Gruden. To avoid having to repost a thousand times in a bunch of different threads, I figured I'd start a new one so that ESers would already know the situation.

Gruden is contractually obligated to stay with ESPN.

Here is a snippet from Mort's chat yesterday:

Bill (Columbus)

Hey mort love your commercial with adam. What do you think of clevelands attempt to hire Holmgren? Do you think this is a good move? I for one think holmgren would bring in Maraucchi or gruden to coach this team, your thoughts.....

Chris Mortensen (11:48 AM)

Holmgren would bring some credibility. Gruden is not going anywhere. He can't contractually, otherwise I would have agreed with you. I doubt it on Mariucci. I think Leslie Frazier is possible but let me throw out a surprise name to you - Marty Mornhinweg. Marty was successful OC in SF, has done great as the real play-caller in Philly. How much can we hold Lions against him in light of their dismal performance as a franchise? And how long do we hold 20 seconds of a coin flip and "I'll take the wind" against him? Just questions.

Here is the link to an ESPN article about Gruden signing an extension with the network last month:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4659441

Mortensen works for ESPN, therefore, anything he says has to be suspect with bias, whether its true or not. Sorry, but it is what it is. Besides, Contracts have loop holes. Not saying I want Gruden, but seriously, Dan ALWAYS gets the coach he wants, right? maybe not...

Gruden is contractually obligated to stay with ESPN.

Mort has been wrong in the past, and there is no way that Daniel Snyder allows a TV contract, for a couple hundred thou, stop him from getting the guy he wants, or the guy his new GM wants.

It's been done before and it will be done again, TV contracts are second hand to NFL contracts no matter what anyone says.

I'm not saying its guaranteed (though I'd be happy with it), but it would be ignorant to think that a TV contract would get in the way of a guy coaching for a few mil a year. Yeah, that TV analyst would be REALLY effective. Your TV station stops you from making 20 times as much money and doing what you love to do and you're supposed to be agreeable about it? I don't think so.

980 is saying he probably has an out clause on his contract. If he does, then Gruden COULD very well be a candidate.

There is NO possible way that he does NOT have an "out" clause in the event he is offered a head coaching job. No lawyer in the world would allow him to sign a contract without such a clause.

Man, I hope it's not true. I really don't like how Gruden runs a team. he's another guy who doesn't like to give rookies a lot of opportunities. He likes very veteran QB's a la Rich Gannon and Brad Johnson. Just not the guy i wanted coaching the skins. I think i'd prefer Zorn stay on board, but i don't think that really can happen. Zorn won't want to stay on if he isn't calling the plays. For some unknown reason he thinks he is good at it. I'd like to stay in the WCO just to create some consistency (really only if they keep JC which i really think they should). So for that Gruden wouldn't be bad. Truthfully i am just really curious what is going to happen with the head coaching position.

Archived