Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: DC Sports Bog: Campbell: "Football is a man's game"

bubba9497

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2009/12/campbell_football_is_a_mans_ga.html#more

click link for entire article

Campbell: "Football is a man's game"

Throughout Sunday's win over the Raiders, Fox was showing highlights of Jason Campbell getting crunched, Jason Campbell lying on the ground in pain, Jason Campbell running for his life, alongside graphics showing just how many times Jason Campbell had been hit, hurried, etc.

"It takes that nowadays in the National Football League," Coach Jim Zorn said, when asked about the abuse Campbell absorbed. "You've got to have not muscle-bound QBs, but you've got to have strong QBs that can take the punishment....When he gets those hits, he's able to concentrate through the issue of that."

Campbell said much the same when asked about the abuse during Comcast SportsNet's post-game show.

"That's part of football," he said. "I remember when I got ready to play, my mom asked me if I [really] wanted to play football. She wanted me to play basketball, and I chose football. I told her football is a man's game."

Campbell made sure to add that basketball is a man's game, too, but you probably don't end up getting piledriven by as many 300-pound dudes on the basketball floor. Campbell was also asked about his seeming reluctance to slide this weekend, when he rushed four times for 20 yards.

"I told y'all two weeks ago that you would not see me slide again," he joked. "Now if a guy's coming directly at me, I'm gonna slide, but today I just felt like my shoulder was already sore, and as I've been sliding it's been really ugly and it's always putting my left arm down. Today I couldn't put my left arm down, so I just tried to take the hit and keep moving."

The bigger question, though, is how this offense--having lost one piece after another--has become so much more productive in the past three weeks. Campbell was asked about the impact of offensive assistant Sherm Lewis, and he gave credit to the entire offensive staff for deciding to open up the gameplan.

"I think he's fit in well with the coaching staff that was already here," Campbell said of Lewis. "I feel like the coaches that were here have done a good job, didn't get angry during the process, just stayed the course. And now I think they have some continuity together, some chemistry, and it's not about one person. I feel like all of them as a staff during the week work together to design plays, to get open and attack the field, and I think that's the difference between now and early in the season. Early in the season, we [were running] more an intermediate passing game and just trying to control the ball. Now, we're more just trying to score, and we're taking more shots."

And as for his own improvement?

"Coaches are just letting me play," he said. "They're just letting me play."

He's improved every year... I'm worried about starting over... let this ride into next season...

Ditto. We've had leads going into the fourth quarter of the past four games. We were two flukey plays away from beating the Saints, and the younger players have been stepping up and making starting-caliber plays. Retool the real weakness of the team - Oline - and try to keep things stable.

Two years ago everyone was screaming at the top of their lungs for stability.

Dont be so sure.....

If this play continues dont be suprised to see these guys back.

I don't know man...

they'll change SOMETHING... and it will mess it up.

If this were MY franchise... i wouldn't touch it. I'd leave it AS IS going into next season. Something is finally working.

Snyder meddles way too much to think they wouldn't mess up whatever good we have going on at the moment.

too bad they are going to blow it up.

if you even change one factor... Zorn, Campbell, Portis back... whatever,..

i think you'll ruin whatever they have going at the moment.

They can get rid of Portis. You can say it was Sherm, but fact is, the offense started clicking right when Clinton went out.

Hate to say it but facts are facts.

that is a horribly stupid comment ... it is damn admirable that these guys are playing their best when they are at their lowest.

i feel bad that you can see that

LOL. They make millions of dollars. They are not doing service for our country.

If beating the crappy raiders gives you a high , more power to you.

I have seen this story before. The team cant win in the nfc east. And they can't play well when anything is on the line.

Hell why i am debating? We are 4-9.

They can get rid of Portis. You can say it was Sherm, but fact is, the offense started clicking right when Clinton went out.

that's kind of my point though...

do you honestly think that they won't touch whatever is working right now?

do you think we'll come back to a team next season game 1 with Portis gone, Campbell starting, Zorn the HC, Sherm Lewis the OC, etc.

You should relay Jason's comments to Portis. I don't think his headache is as big as his lack of heart.

This is the truth. Portis was a distraction from an otherwise hard working team. It's hard for Jason to lead a prima donna who thinks he can take plays off and not really be a part of the team. Now that Portis isn't there to subvert Campbell, he is truly leading this team.

It shows. I credit Campbell with our offensive resurgence much more than I credit any other coach, coordinator or bingo player. Campbell is the heart of our offense right now, it's not hard to see.

We've scored 30+ points against two pretty good defenses back-to-back.

New Orleans was giving up 20ppg when we put up 30 on them, which is also the 2nd-most they've allowed all year (MIA, 34)

Oakland was giving up 23ppg, and we put up 34 on them, 3rd-most this season (NYG 44, NYJ 38)

And this is with a lot of backup players in. The gameplanning has been better, the execution has been better, the intensity has been better. The offense is still playing hard for Campbell and Zorn, and to me that's a very very good sign.

Agreed!

Never thought that I'd be backing Campbell again, but damn, he is kicking ass and making the zealots look even more stupid.

I agree and I have never really supported him, but JC has earned my respect.

True character comes out in tough times and I think some of our young players are earning their stripes right now.

It does look like the light bulb is turning on for our quarterback.

that is a horribly stupid comment ... it is damn admirable that these guys are playing their best when they are at their lowest.

i feel bad that you can see that

Its not a stupid comment, its reality. Those who love campbell for finally winning a game are delusional. Those of us who know campbell will go back to his normal self when a game is on the line, are not. Campbell only wins when there is nothing to lose.

Archived