Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sure Picks

Skins3021

I think we should draft either Ndamukong Suh or Eric Berry if they are available when we pick. I know our defense is in a much better position than our offense, and that we could really use some new o-lineman. But I feel that these two players have enormous talent and would fit in well with our already stout defense.

If we got Suh and played Orakpo on the line with Haynesworth and Carter as well I think we would have one of the best lines in the league and our sack numbers and run defense would immediately get better.

If we got Berry we would have an instant playmaker and wouldn't have to worry about Landry giving up a deep touchdown every play since he would be playing in his true position at SS. Plus we always have free agency and the rest of the draft to address the o-line.

Thoughts?

I can't wait to have the #1 defense on a 5-11 team next year!

I'd disagree. We'd probably go about 500 (maybe 1 or 2 over or 1 or 2 under) because with close games seem to tend to 500 ball over time. Your likely to steal a game here or there but you will also have a game or two stolen from you.

I'd disagree. We'd probably go about 500 (maybe 1 or 2 over or 1 or 2 under) because with close games seem to tend to 500 ball over time. Your likely to steal a game here or there but you will also have a game or two stolen from you.

If you say so. How many close games have we played this year, and what's our record? I'm not sure improving a highly ranked defense is going to lead to more wins. Who knows, though?

i agree....i think suh is too good to pass up no matter what. My second choice would be okung. If both are off the board and Berry is still there i think you get on the phones and try to trade landry for a 3rd before you pick him. You shop him first before the draft to see whos interested so when time comes you can make the deal fast.

If you are unable to trade landry i think you take OT Trent Williams from Oklahoma with the pick. I would love to have Eric Berry on this team but only if we can get a decent pick for landry.

No matter what in the second round we take Ciron Black from LSU. If we do get that 3rd from landry we take Dexter McCluster from Ole Miss.

So there are Four scenarios in order of preference:

1) Draft Suh, DT Nebraksa in first

Draft Ciron Black OT LSU in second

2) Draft Russell Okung OT OK State in first

Draft Ciron Black OT LSU or Toby Gerhart RB Stanford in second

3) Draft Eric Berry S Tennessee in first

Trade Landry for third

Draft Dexter McCluster RB Ole Miss in third

4) Draft Trent Williams OT Oklahoma in first if unable to trade Landry

Draft Ciron Black LSU or Toby Gerhart Stanford in second

Suh won't be there when we pick - he'll almost certainly be one of the top 3 and very possibly first overall. However, if he's there, we kinda have to pick him.

I think Berry would be a terrible pick. That would be our 4th DB taken in the top 10 overall in 6 years!?! And look at our success rate: Taylor was a great player tragically lost before he even hit his prime, but both Rogers and Landry have been pretty big disappointments. We have bigger needs at every O-line position, both outside and middle LB (Fletcher is great but definitely getting old), RB, QB and maybe even WR (depending on the continued development of Thomas, but even counting on that Santana is getting up there in age as well).

Berry is nowhere near a can't miss player. He looks pretty good but he's not the 'you can't afford to pass on him' guy like Suh. Suh's not a perfect fit for us but he's been so dominant you simply have to take him. Berry has had a very good career, but not THAT good. I think you take McCoy from OU before Berry. If nothing else that should give us a VERY solid D-line for the next 5+ years.

If Okung is there, you take him. If he isn't, I would trade back. I doubt Suh will get out of the top 3. Berry is a great player but would be something of a luxury pick considering how bad of a need OL is. I don't think this class of QBs is that good, with Clausen probably being the best. That said, he will likely go very high. Possibly top 3. Bradford, IMO, is not worth a top 10 pick, and Locker is amazingly overrated but his stock will soar because of his athleticism, even though his comp % sucks and he doesn't have a great TD/INT ratio. Someone will be the sucker and take him high, I just hope it isn't us.

Skins learned with Landry never to pick a safety in top 10. They need to get CJSpiller and will. Then QB in the second round (Pike or Canfield). This will set the offense for the next 10 years.

And who, exactly, is going to run block for our shiny new RB and pass protect for our shiny new QB?

A top 7 pick on a running back for us would be ridiculously awful.

If you're set on a skill position, you have to draft QB.

Otherwise it should either be OL or DL, depending on who is available.

WR and RB really shouldn't ever be taken in the Top 10, for very different reasons. Pretty good RB's are not that hard to find in the 2nd/3rd round, while WR's have really high bust rates.

I can't wait to have the #1 defense on a 5-11 team next year!

A top 7 pick on a running back for us would be ridiculously awful.

If you're set on a skill position, you have to draft QB.

Otherwise it should either be OL or DL, depending on who is available.

WR and RB really shouldn't ever be taken in the Top 10, for very different reasons. Pretty good RB's are not that hard to find in the 2nd/3rd round, while WR's have really high bust rates.

WR I can see that case being made, though there is the occasional guy that is simply too good to pass up, like a Calvin Johnson. But other than that, yeah. RB is a bit more nebulous. While you certainly can get high quality backs after the first round, there are sometimes guys there who really are worth a top 7 pick (guys like AP, Mark Ingram in 2011 most likely). I was never high on Reggie Bush. I didn't think his running style would translate well in the NFL and it hasn't. He doesn't have the vision or durability to run between the tackles much and he can't just flat outrun everyone like he did in college.

If you say so. How many close games have we played this year, and what's our record? I'm not sure improving a highly ranked defense is going to lead to more wins. Who knows, though?

I think you might have missed what I'm saying. You play D-ball like that ad one year you go 6-10 and the next year you go 10-6 and then you go 5-11 and then you go 9-7 and NONE of those teams are significantly better or worse. Us fans are pissed when the team goes 6-10 and think we've turned the corner when we go 10-6 the next! You never really find those couple of guys who make your team hover around 10 wins.

Don't be surprised when we finish this season 5-11, go defensive and then go about 7-9 (new coach figuring out the players). Now most of ES is all hyped up about how the new coach is our 'savior' and all but ready to forgive (or at least temporarily forget what Dan's done). The next season we get to the playoffs with a 10-6 team that's really just mediocre but we're all hyped up. In 2013 we go through a pre-season where a lot of ESers think we're finally going to break through only to go 6-10.

So there are Four scenarios in order of preference:

1) Draft Suh, DT Nebraksa in first

2) Draft Russell Okung OT OK State in first

Draft Ciron Black OT LSU or Toby Gerhart RB Stanford in second

3) Draft Eric Berry S Tennessee in first

Trade Landry for third

Draft Dexter McCluster RB Ole Miss in third

4) Draft Trent Williams OT Oklahoma in first if unable to trade Landry

Draft Ciron Black LSU or Toby Gerhart Stanford in second

I know there is a lot of time before the draft and things could change with our draft position but I doubt Williams will be worthy of a high 1st round pick. As for senario 2 I think that would be a good 1st pick but I'd rather see if Hardesty or Blount is available in the 4th and take either a QB, CB, or LB with our second.

And who, exactly, is going to run block for our shiny new RB and pass protect for our shiny new QB?

Lineman we pick in the middle and late in the draft and the non-drafted free agents we sign. And the pick ups we will sign during free agency.

Remember, Jacoby, Bostic were free agents. Grim drafted in Third. Raleigh McKenzie drafted in the 11th round. Ed Simmons 6th round. Mark May was the only first round pick and he was probably our worst lineman.

The last three games the reason we've lost has nothing to do with the offensive line and more our inability to "Make Plays" in the clutch.

Lineman we pick in the middle and late in the draft and the non-drafted free agents we sign. And the pick ups we will sign during free agency.

Remember, Jacoby, Bostic were free agents. Grim drafted in Third. Raleigh McKenzie drafted in the 11th round. Ed Simmons 6th round. Mark May was the only first round pick and he was probably our worst lineman.

The last three games the reason we've lost has nothing to do with the offensive line and more our inability to "Make Plays" in the clutch.

Issue with this is that in order to really find those late round or undrafted gem OL guys you actually need good scouting and decision making from the FO. We haven't had that for a while. The biggest success we've had so far in that vein has been Heyer, and "success" could be stretching it a bit. He is ok, but probably wouldn't be a starter for any other team. Maybe a backup. I'd feel a hell of a lot more comfortable with them picking up OL in the 1st and 2nd than hoping they will find diamonds in the rough in late rounds and undrafted guys. You can also get good RBs past the 1st and 2nd rounds. As far as QB is concerned, I would really rather build up other positions of need first and then, once that is in place, we can get a top rated passer in the draft. The rookie QBs with the most success usually start out with high quality talent around them ie: a good OL, good running game, and good receiving weapons. We hopefully have the last one nailed down. But the first two we are not nearly there yet and will take at least one but maybe two years of drafting and FA aquisitions to be young and stable in those areas.

Archived