Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Ndamukong Suh just too irresistable?

Brotherz

Fix the lines, worry about QB later. Campbell has shown that he can be productive give sufficient production. Whether he'll be able to take it to the next level remains to be seen, but I'd rather we fix this offensive line than having to take a flyer on a QB.

Fix the lines, worry about QB later. Campbell has shown that he can be productive give sufficient production. Whether he'll be able to take it to the next level remains to be seen, but I'd rather we fix this offensive line than having to take a flyer on a QB.

You mean fix our lines over the span of 2-3 years, then draft a QB, and wait 1-2 years for him to be able to start, then go through even more pains as he develops?

Yeah, no thanks. With this weak OL class I would rather draft a QB is Okung isnt on the board, and build the line while he sits for a year or two.

I don't like players whose names I cannot pronounce.

I don't think you can ever really go wrong drafting the best lineman.

Then let me help you: (EN-DAH-MOO-KONG SOO) because if he's there, I'm taking him! No double moves on the secondary, there'll be no time!

As for the Lineman, I add Tony Mandarich & Robert Gallery to the list of high profile lineman busts.

There has to be FA to buy. That's the trick with no salary cap and no CBA; there are alot of RFA's out there and the asking price for lineman is going to be huge.

People don't seem to understand that the reason the last year of the CBA was uncapped was that it is a poison pill for both the NFLPA which saw the ability to move from team to team as a huge priority and the owners who can't get the big-name FA who would give them another years reprieve. It does have the effect of allowing teams to cut FA busts or higher priced vets who are pretty much done and maybe re-sign them at much lower contracts. I'd also bet that there are other strategies that would allow you to do the opposite of what teams did during the cap era. One thing the cap also did is that you could make the offered contract such that the offer could not be matched even though the actual monies were the same.

Gotta take Suh if he is on board. If not, then we take Berry. As we've seen this season, Landry is not a FS by any means. He bites too hard and doesn't have speed spurt to catch up with receivers even though he is fast. He also has bad hands and coverage skills. All he looks for is the knock out hit rather than to knock the ball out of the receiver's hands.

Berry has natural knack for pass coverage and INT skills. We should move Landry to SS and Berry to FS.

I agree with what others are saying, very likely he could be the top guy taking, and probably top 3. no way he falls to us.

Yeah well I distinctly recall last draft when I heard a ton of people saying there was NO WAY Orakpo falls far enough................

You mean fix our lines over the span of 2-3 years, then draft a QB, and wait 1-2 years for him to be able to start, then go through even more pains as he develops?

Yeah, no thanks. With this weak OL class I would rather draft a QB is Okung isnt on the board, and build the line while he sits for a year or two.

I guess you'd rather watch a lottery pick get pounded into the dirt weak in and weak out and hope that has the mental fortitude not to let the punishment get to him?

Yeah, I guess that approach makes sense...

When you build a house you start with the foundation, and just about anybody with any football sense will tell you that the foundation for a successful football team is in the trenches.

I guess you'd rather watch a lottery pick get pounded into the dirt weak in and weak out and hope that has the mental fortitude not to let the punishment get to him?

Yeah, I guess that approach makes sense...

When you build a house you start with the foundation, and just about anybody with any football sense will tell you that the foundation for a successful football team is in the trenches.

the lions dont have some great oline and stafford isnt getting killed every week. theres no reason we couldnt assemble an oline of their caliber and stick a rookie QB behind the line.

and honestly i think we could make a much better oline with a smart GM in place pulling the trigger on certain moves.

some of you are forgetting that a rookie OL is just as risky as a rookie QB. all of you guys that wanna draft 4 rookie lineman and have them start, thats beyond stupid.

I don't know. We've tried this before with Dan Wilkinson and Dana Stubblefield and it didn't appreciably change the performance of the defense.

It seems like you need a defensive tackle who can fit into what the defensive scheme is. The conventional wisdom is that Haynesworth is more of a disrupting, penetrating tackle who will get into the backfield more often even if that means losing the discipline of the scheme. If you have two superstars trying to do that on every play you might not be successful.

It seems that the Skins would want to have a stay-at-home DT next to Haynesworth, and using a top 5 pick on someone like that doesn't seem like a wise investment. If Suh is as irresistable as you say, then the Skins should have no problem trading out of that spot if he's available there.

Your judgment is sound. Haynesworth is a 3 tech at heart and you are right that the best thing to get beside him is a gap clogging 1 technique. But Haynesworth is also versatile enough to play any position along the defensive line. Suh is nice because he's got similar versatility and can play 3 tech when Haynesworth is out of the game. But his home position is probably 1 or 5 given his length and power. He's not the penetrating type that McCoy or Haynesworth are with that impressive initial burst and speed. That's why I think you're argument works better against drafting McCoy than Suh. McCoy pretty much plays the same position as Albert.

Still, I don't think it's necessarry to draft Suh to get elite DT play from this class. He'd be really nice for when Haynesworth goes down, but we can get other guys who'll work as well in our scheme as Suh will, when Haynesworth is also on the field. The name I really like is Arthur Jones from Syracuse. He'll be a stud of a 1 tech and he's a team leader. In short, he's the perfect replacement for Cornelius Griffin.

In a heart beat. This guy is a one of those players who come around maybe every 20 years or so.

He has been compared to Reggie White by many scouts

I heard the same thing about Calvin Johnson, Glenn Dorsey, Branden Albert, Amobi okoye, Jason Smith/Michael Oher, etc. etc.

And although some of them are great picks...none are "the type of player that only comes around every 20 years or so."

People say that about certain players in every draft but none of them turn out to be the next this or that player. And the ones that turn out to be really good are the ones that didn't have that hype (Adrian Peterson with his "injures," etc.

I know we need a Qb and offensive line help. I am well aware of it. My thought is that we CANNOT afford to miss with a top 5 pick. We just can't allow ourselves to miss. If you have the opportunity to draft in the top 5 picks you HAVE to get it right. This kid is pretty much bust proof. Anyone who watched him this weekend knows what I am talking about. He is a MONSTER.

What are everyone's thoughts on this kid and can you even imagine him lining up next to Haynesworth for the next five years? Imagine Orakpo, Haynesworth, Suh and Carter up front? My God. Nobody could run, we can drop everyone in the back 7 into coverage and still get massive amounts of pressure. We can still take an O-lineman with our second.

If its an uncapped year we tender Campbell 2.97 mil since he will be a restricted free agent and we either sign him for another year or two (we can still get a QB next year in the draft, or a free agent) and if someone takes Campbell from us we get a 1st and a 3rd for him. Now we get a QB, Suh, the offensive lineman with the 2nd.

The receivers don't have to be touched. We pick up two free agent offensive lineman, keep the heyers and mike williams, levi jones' as depth, maybe samuels comes back. The running backs are fine.

That defense would be SICK!!! Thoughts?

I know we need offense... but YES if we have a shot of getting this beast we... GET HIM!!!! Could you imagine the D line we would have... too irristable!

Its a no brainer to take him if available, which i dont see him getting past #2. Just the fact that a DT is a finalist for a heisman is almost as good as a win for him.

Plus his name means "House of Spears" that is draft worthy in itself!

In a heart beat. This guy is a one of those players who come around maybe every 20 years or so.

He has been compared to Reggie White by many scouts

I completely agree... There is absolutely positively no way you pass on this guy. That though is why he won’t be there when we draft. McCoy could be there and there and I don’t think there is that much drop off. Either one were there though and I think we will take them.

I watched both the Texas/OU game and the Texas/Nebraska game and both of those guys were getting pressure up then middle all day. I just can’t imagine what it would be like for opposing teams to try to match up against up against either of them and the rest of our Dline.

The down side could be that we may start getting comparisons to the 84 bears and 1999 ravens where it seemed they were trying to tie teams 0-0 but then look at the 85 bears and 2000 ravens. lol Suh or McCoy… I’m on board!

Archived