Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ComCast reporting Quinton Ganther likely to start at RB

HigSkin

In the KJ sitdown interview with Sherman Smith, he said that Ganther would likely be starting over Rock.

Smith was pretty trite in saying something like "it's not about what Rock wants, it's about the team". Also said that it isn't about what Rock is doing, it's about what Ganther is doing better.

Go to the Video center below and click on "KJ sits down with Smith PART 2". It's about 4:25 into the interview.

http://www.csnwashington.com/pages/redskins

I've felt like Rock has done a pretty good job filling in but also like Ganther's quickness and toughness.

Given Thomas' success on KO returns this could be an indication of things to come next year.

Not only that, but I would be willing to bet that even if Rock loses his kick return duties, he'll be on this roster next season.

He's a very good backup running back. He's still serviceable on every special teams unit. Rock is one of those guys that getting rid of would be an absolute shame. He's a Redskin. Through and through. In the end, if he stays with us for his entire career, he might be one of our most reverred Redskins. He won't be the best to ever play for us... But he's a team player and he's part of our heartbeat.

That said, Ganther is a better fit to start. But Rock is no scrub.

Ganther has played better than Rock..

Rock has played well, but I see Rock as more of a 3rd down back or a blocking/checkdown back on obvious passing situations. Rock is a better pass catcher basically.

Marcus Mason just flat out sucks. With all the free agent talent at RB that's still on the street, I don't know why we keep giving him a chance. He is not an NFL RB.

Like someone else said though, Rock is a true Redskin. He does everything the team asks and he does it at full speed. He may be unhappy about his role at times but he still gives full effort. We could ask him to play LB in an emergency situation and he would do it without question.

I guess the quote implies that Rock wasn't happy with the decision, but Rock always seems to feel like he's slighted when other guys get an opportunity over him. But like everyone has said, we know what we have in him and we know he's limited. He's good enough, but let's try out Ganther and see if he can be better.

I guess the quote implies that Rock wasn't happy with the decision, but Rock always seems to feel like he's slighted when other guys get an opportunity over him.

Smith responded to a KJ question about what Rock thinks about the move. We'll probably see something later from him. I'm sure reporters will hunt him down but we all know he never takes this stuff well. He's a competitor.

It seems a shame how much we have underutilized Rock throughout his career. Should have been a way to use him better.
I disagree. Rock is solid, but does not do anything extraordinary. He does not catch passes well enough to be a 3rd down back, he is not fast enough to be a starter. What's left is Betts' spot, and Betts is flat out better (before he got hurt of course). Also, Cartwright reminds me of Skip Hicks, can't get that needed yard because he is always looking for the home run.

This Ganther thing is a bit strange, it certainly does not come from Zorn (he does not have the guts to sit anyone), so it must come from Smith and Lewis.

I disagree. Rock is solid, but does not do anything extraordinary. He does not catch passes well enough to be a 3rd down back, he is not fast enough to be a starter. What's left is Betts' spot, and Betts is flat out better (before he got hurt of course). Also, Cartwright reminds me of Skip Hicks, can't get that needed yard because he is always looking for the home run.

I don't know... I've been seeing a little bit of Joe Morris in Rock and the guy sure busts his butt every time he's given a chance. We'll never really know, but he has done something in the few opportunities he's gotten. Betts was never really dependable... fumbled too often, injured too often, and also a back that is a solid back with no exceptional trait.

This Ganther thing is a bit strange, it certainly does not come from Zorn (he does not have the guts to sit anyone), so it must come from Smith and Lewis.

Huh?

Rock can't catch?

And he's always looking for the home run?

I don't think Ganther is any faster then Rock, to my eye they have essentially the same running style.

This move doesn't really mean and whole lot in the long run because both guys are gonna get carries.

But, i don't understand why Ganther would earn the start over Rock who has payed his dues and shown over the past weeks that if anything he deserves more carries.

If they want to make meaningful line-up change bench Landry and start Kareem Moore.

I'm really liking the Rock-Quinton combo right now.

You know, over the last few weeks I've wondered how I'd deal with not having Portis on the team anymore. One thing that always cures something like that, success from the successor. And I think we've gotten that from Rock and Quinton.

Nice, I had my doubts about the guy, now I would like to see what he can do. Especially after 10 or so carries.

Thats my view as well. I have been impressed so far - nice burst, hits the hole hard and seems to have good vision. Can he handle 15 or 20 carries and still show the same burst and energy?

Good time to find out and see if maybe have found someone who can help us next year.

Huh?

Rock can't catch?

And he's always looking for the home run?

I don't think Ganther is any faster then Rock, to my eye they have essentially the same running style.

I think you are giving Cartwright more credit than he deserves.

#1 Cartwright had 3 catches in the past 5 years before being forced into use this year. Why is Sellers catching passes and not Rock?

#2 He had a nice game vs. Dallas, then goes for 2.75 yards a carry since. Not exactly earning the spot. Ganther is nearly 6 yards per carry in the same span.

#3 Ganther runs much harder to my eye.

I see the roles reversing Ganther gets 15 carries and Cartwright Gets 8, but Rock should catch 5-6 passes as I hope Sellers gets left on the bench. If Rock shines this week as the 3rd down back he'll get to show his stuff there the rest of the year.

Archived