Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ComCast reporting Quinton Ganther likely to start at RB

HigSkin

I disagree. Rock is solid, but does not do anything extraordinary. He does not catch passes well enough to be a 3rd down back, he is not fast enough to be a starter. What's left is Betts' spot, and Betts is flat out better (before he got hurt of course). Also, Cartwright reminds me of Skip Hicks, can't get that needed yard because he is always looking for the home run.

This Ganther thing is a bit strange, it certainly does not come from Zorn (he does not have the guts to sit anyone), so it must come from Smith and Lewis.

Then you simply have not been watching the redskins lately. Often times Campbell has gone to him as a last option, and he has racked up yards after the catch with it. He only failed if the pass was poorly thrown.

I like Rock, but he is a number 3 RB and great special teams player. He had a great game against the pukes. Well, the Oline opened some holes for him and the puke defense can't tackle.

Basically, he is what he is.

Rock has played better than Portis all year so I don't know what you mean by he is a number three running back. He is a fighter, and one of the integrated reasons why the Redskins offense has been clicking lately. Ganther seems better but not by a mile. Rock has really been solid ever since Portis went down.

I would really have no problem if we put our need at RB on the back-burner and allowed Rock/Ganther/Mason to carry the load for us next year (assuming we're able to cut Portis and Betts).

There is some youth, some experience, and plenty of effort in that group. Focus on QB and OL and, if no one shakes out as a viable starter, address RB the following year. I think we might have a gem on the roster in Ganther or Mason though.

Yeah I think Portis' days are numbered in DC... I have a strong hunch that he was more than healthy enough to play the Saints game... Be interesting to see what kind of excuse is made after the doctor in Pittsburg says he is ok...

Then you simply have not been watching the redskins lately. Often times Campbell has gone to him as a last option, and he has racked up yards after the catch with it. He only failed if the pass was poorly thrown.
The last 3-4 weeks. But the reply was to why the Skins have not used Cartwright throughout his career. Once again, he caught only 3 passes the last 5 years, that tells me something. He has only received significant playing time twice in his career and both times it was as a result of multiple injuries. In other words, he has never WON the job. Now he has lost it.

Yeah I think Portis' days are numbered in DC... I have a strong hunch that he was more than healthy enough to play the Saints game... Be interesting to see what kind of excuse is made after the doctor in Pittsburg says he is ok...

I agree. It appears to me that CP is done as a Skins. I expect CP and the Skins will part ways with him retiring and calling it a health thing versus a flat out team cut next year. It saves face for everyone. Besides if Shanny does come in here, CP's likely to get axed anyway.

Ganther has played better than Rock..

Rock has played well, but I see Rock as more of a 3rd down back or a blocking/checkdown back on obvious passing situations. Rock is a better pass catcher basically.

Marcus Mason just flat out sucks. With all the free agent talent at RB that's still on the street, I don't know why we keep giving him a chance. He is not an NFL RB.

Like someone else said though, Rock is a true Redskin. He does everything the team asks and he does it at full speed. He may be unhappy about his role at times but he still gives full effort. We could ask him to play LB in an emergency situation and he would do it without question.

Quinton is a much better blocking back than Rock though.

I disagree. Rock is solid, but does not do anything extraordinary. He does not catch passes well enough to be a 3rd down back, he is not fast enough to be a starter. What's left is Betts' spot, and Betts is flat out better (before he got hurt of course). Also, Cartwright reminds me of Skip Hicks, can't get that needed yard because he is always looking for the home run.

This Ganther thing is a bit strange, it certainly does not come from Zorn (he does not have the guts to sit anyone), so it must come from Smith and Lewis.

He is faster than Betts.

Makes sense to me.

We're 3-9, we may as well get a look at some of our kids, so that (hopefully) our NEW GM will have some tape on them and we see what we have.

Also like to see Kareem Moore at FS, and Chris Wilson/HB Blades at OLB with Orakpo at DE all day.

And of course, for the LOVE OF ALL THAT IS SACRED, Devin Thomas/Justin Tryon/Ethan Albright/Pete Kendall/one of our interns returning punts instead of ARE.

He is faster than Betts.
Perhaps, neither has NFL tailback speed so it really does not matter too much. Betts hits the hole better, IMO, in the coach's opinion, too, based on the depth chart.

Portis to the IR means the Skins will probably bring in another RB. But it appears that barring injury, Ganther will start so long as he is effective and Cartwright will also get a good share of touches.

Archived