Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jurgensen would let next coach choose his QB

redskin01fan

Much was made of the fact that the Redskins were off scouting Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen last week. When Sonny Jurgensen appeared on ESPN 980's Monday Morning Quarterback show, he was asked which collegiate quarterbacks he likes.

"If they are going to change coaches here and have different leadership in the front office, I would let them make that decision," Jurgensen said. "I wouldn't be trying to make that for them now. You understand what I'm saying? I think that is their job. If I'm the coach coming in here, excuse me, I want to pick my own quarterback."

"How about picking your own everything?" Kevin Sheehan suggested with just a drop of sarcasm. "How about not coming in and having the D coordinator already here or the offensive coordinator already here?

"I want to work with the people that I feel can help me be successful and make us all successful, and I want people smarter than I am, so that we can win," Sonny agreed. "I mean, that's what you have to do. If you don't do that, you're an idiot."

:logo::logo::logo::logo::logo:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2009/11/jurgensen_would_let_next_coach.html?wpisrc=nl_sports

I personally like what Tony Dungy said on Sunday night about Tim Tebow being an extremely good future NFL quarterback due to his fire, intensity and leadership ability on the field. I also think he would fit in well with a west coast system. But I also think the Skins should sign JC for a couple more years and groom him as a back-up with Colt Brennen as the 3rd backup. I would then use the 2nd, 4th-6th on O-line and the 7th on another DB. IMO:point2sky

Just because we scouted him doesn't mean we're going to take him. It was quite possibly one of the last chances to scout Clausen in person in college. We've probably scouted quite a few college players already... To be honest.

I don't like Clauson and I was refering to Tim Tebow, The Clauson love affair was on another thread. LOL:helmet:

I have changed my mind and now want Zorn to stay. I would let him fire his coordinators and bring in who he wants. I would like some continuity, and I don't think Zorn has been given a fair chance. He inherited a terrible offense and a very mediocre quarterback. I think he has done all a coach can with the offensive talent. Then again, I want Vinny out and a new GM in, so I don't think Zorn could stay in that situation. But whoever the coach is needs to choose his own quarterback so we can fully evaluate that coach. That being said, we have to scout everyone we can now, before we have that new coach, because if we don't, these guys aren't going to play but one or two more games and we will have missed our chance.

I don't like Clauson and I was refering to Tim Tebow, The Clauson love affair was on another thread. LOL:helmet:

I was referring to people getting upset about the fact that we started Clausen... Or claiming that because we scouted him we're going to draft him. It's just doing your homework.

Wasn't responding to anything you said.

I was referring to people getting upset about the fact that we started Clausen... Or claiming that because we scouted him we're going to draft him. It's just doing your homework.

Wasn't responding to anything you said.

I would bet we have scouted almost every QB prospect. I'd be a little upset if we didn't tbo.

I think with a different QB, this team would be much better. JC can be a good QB but he is not a WCO QB. He leaves a lot of points on the field by missing receivers, not throwing when he needs to, I think he has a difficult time with a timing offense. He was a good fit for Gibbs offense but not the WCO (in my opinion).

Also, to me, Tebow has something you can't coach and that is leadership. His quarterbacking will get up to speed. However, he should probably sit a year or two before just being thrown in. I like him though. I'm really curious to see him in his next two games.

I don't know, but for some reason I could see Shanny liking him.

Campbell is not quick-thinking enough to be an NFL QB. He locks onto a receiver and forces the ball. He cannot see the entire field or anticpate defenses. He is inaccurate and has a longwindedwind-up. He does not have good foot movement or awareness in the pocket. But he is a nice guy and would make a great neighbor. Bradford, Clausen, McCoy and Tebow are upgrades.

I think with a different QB, this team would be much better. JC can be a good QB but he is not a WCO QB. He leaves a lot of points on the field by missing receivers, not throwing when he needs to, I think he has a difficult time with a timing offense. He was a good fit for Gibbs offense but not the WCO (in my opinion).

I think you are spot on mate!

At tiimes, I really do feel sorry for Jim Zorn. He really isn't being given a fair opportunity to showcase what he can do. Being stuck with assistants not of his choosing and a mediocre QB hasn't helped his case.

I liked Zorn's press statement today about the losses affecting everyone- fans, coaches, and players. I would not mind keeping Zorn and let him pick new coaches and then hire a new General Manager who would have final say in drafting all the players and making all trades. Zorn would have to agree that JC would not return unless he agreed to a backup role. Rumor has it that Holmgren may go back to Seattle as the GM so if that happens then Zorn can always work in the GM's office with Holmgren if the Skins punt him on 4th down at the end of the season.

Campbell is not quick-thinking enough to be an NFL QB. He locks onto a receiver and forces the ball. He cannot see the entire field or anticpate defenses. He is inaccurate and has a longwindedwind-up. He does not have good foot movement or awareness in the pocket. But he is a nice guy and would make a great neighbor. Bradford, Clausen, McCoy and Tebow are upgrades.

a cinderblock would be an upgrade over campbell

Sonny is dead on.

I believe Zorn had a mandate to start and groom Jason Campbell.

Does anybody think Zorn put Colt Brennan on IR before the season? No, that was done to take that option off the table, to protect Campbell, in my opinion.

After his only really gutsy call to pull Campbell, Zorn soon lost the right to call plays.

We need a coach who will be strong enough to negotiate a strong contract for himself and take control.

I hate to say this for all of you that are under the delusion that drafting a quarterback is going to solve our problems. Campbell has been getting quietly better the last few games and I think the reason is we're running a more open, less predictable offense. We need to shore up our OL and get a young RB who is a game breaker. I've been impressed with #35 although I don't think he could be a feature back. I'd keep Campbell, fire Vinnie, use our #1 on a RB then draft heavy on the OL. Next year playoffs.

Sonny is dead on.

I believe Zorn had a mandate to start and groom Jason Campbell.

Does anybody think Zorn put Colt Brennan on IR before the season? No, that was done to take that option off the table, to protect Campbell, in my opinion.

After his only really gutsy call to pull Campbell, Zorn soon lost the right to call plays.

We need a coach who will be strong enough to negotiate a strong contract for himself and take control.

Why would Zorn have a mandate to start a QB that Snyderatto tried to get rid of all off season? Doesn't make logical sense. Heck, Snyder is out scouting QBs right now.

I hate to say this for all of you that are under the delusion that drafting a quarterback is going to solve our problems. Campbell has been getting quietly better the last few games and I think the reason is we're running a more open, less predictable offense. We need to shore up our OL and get a young RB who is a game breaker. I've been impressed with #35 although I don't think he could be a feature back. I'd keep Campbell, fire Vinnie, use our #1 on a RB then draft heavy on the OL. Next year playoffs.

Agreed. The Redskins are definitely in need of some upgrades. I just don’t think the QB position is the first priority. The Redskins have neglected the OL for about a decade. Now it is haunting them more than ever. To use the 1st round pick on a QB without solidifying the OL is risky. Just seeing the coaching staff adjust to what available talent is obvious. I think the Redskins need to invest more in the strengthening the OL, a young stud RB, and possibly depth in the defensive secondary in the draft and free agency. Then develop an offensive scheme catered to the players’ strengths. With that in place would at least produce positive results, and/or pave the way for a QB if JC still does not produce.

wow, what games have you been watching? Campbell forces the ball, which resulted in 2 interceptions Sunday. Campbell can't make quick decisions. He had a chance too pick up a first down at the end of the game, with his feet. Campbell looks lost.

Agreed. The Redskins are definitely in need of some upgrades. I just don’t think the QB position is the first priority. The Redskins have neglected the OL for about a decade. Now it is haunting them more than ever. To use the 1st round pick on a QB without solidifying the OL is risky. Just seeing the coaching staff adjust to what available talent is obvious. I think the Redskins need to invest more in the strengthening the OL, a young stud RB, and possibly depth in the defensive secondary in the draft and free agency. Then develop an offensive scheme catered to the players’ strengths. With that in place would at least produce positive results, and/or pave the way for a QB if JC still does not produce.

So, who will be the starting QB next year? Certainly not Campbell. I just don't see him being a Redskin next year. He is not a NFL starting QB.

All the teams that going to the playoffs, have good QB play. I'm tired of the OL issues as an excuse. Green Bay OL is the worst in the league. But Aaron Rodger still makes plays. Ben Rothelisberger was sacked 49 times last year, and still made plays.

Campbell has no pocket awareness. Everytime he starts too throw the ball, I close my eyes. He never steps up in the pocket. Campell locks down on 1 WR. Time too move on.

Archived