Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins already looking at Jimmy Clausen?!?!

DTN Redskin

We need to draft OL early then see what QB's drops later in the draft...

Trust me I agree. However, we all know Dan likes the big splash and loves him some jersey sales. Not to mention Clausen is the all American boy. We haven't had a QB here like that since Joey T.

personally, i the order of preference for qbs is this for me

1- Colt Mccoy- Does nothing but win, quick release, accurate, a leader, and after seeing him in that Texas A&M game, running and passing? A monster qb in the nfl.

2- Clausen- Just has it all. Quick release, smart, leader, but didnt put the wins together like Colt, albeit he did have inferior talent.

3- Tebow- Will be a player who changes the way the game is played. Has played well in all phases of the game and is the best leader of the group. Who wouldnt want a guy with as much passion and fire for the game as Tebow has?

4-Bradford- He has it all, but injury questions drop him and id rather have a qb who has proven himself at the lower level more then 1 season.

5- Locker- Accuracy was an issue but really good when moving with the ball.

6- It doesnt matter i really only want one of the top 3, would be ok with bradford and not be too happy with locker.

Edit- You dont pass a qb when you have a class like this. O line can be taken in the second and fourth round along with a free agent who has proven his play and we have a shot at an average to good line. Ill take a franchise qb with an average line over jason campbell and a great line any day.

I like this list and wouldn't argue it too much if a real GM made the call (not Danny or Vinny) ... but I would also look at Andy Dalton from TCU ... this guy is gutsy, big and has a big arm with a quick release. he doesn't get as much hype because TCU's defense is nasty, but this guy is a pretty solid QB that could be had in the 2nd round.

I wouldn't mind a prospect like Ponder from FSU if he comes out, he has great pocket presence and a strong arm, can scramble and before he got injured to my Tigers, was orchestrating very nice offensive drives all over the place.

I'd prefer Okung in the first and a QB like Dalton or Ponder in the 2nd, where there is less pressure to start immediately. They aren't sexy picks, but they have the size, strength and physical attributes for an NFL QB (I know so did JC supposedly) ... and it would still allow us to see what Brennan could do, and keep us from HAVING to play a young QB because he got a 30 mill signing bonus as a #3 draft pick.

Colt McCoy, I've said it over and over- I just don't get it. I've watched him play a couple times this year and last. He's looked terrible against good defenses. Just lost, confused, and terrible.

Sure, he's good against all the patsies that a U Texas Schedule affords. He folds against a team like Oklahoma. What do you think he'll do in the NFL? No thanks on him. He's got David Carr written all over him.

Colt McCoy, I've said it over and over- I just don't get it. I've watched him play a couple times this year and last. He's looked terrible against good defenses. Just lost, confused, and terrible.

Sure, he's good against all the patsies that a U Texas Schedule affords. He folds against a team like Oklahoma. What do you think he'll do in the NFL? No thanks on him. He's got David Carr written all over him.

None of the QB's in this years draft have me stumbling all over myself to go get, absolutely none.

For some reason I see Vinny and Danny huddled around a table with some sort of draft formula that's based off of statistics utilizing marketability to jersey sales ratio, multiplied by the square root of who is going to piss off the fan base more. Not with all of our draft picks but in regards to a high first round QB draft pick. I think we've done fairly well with our defensive side of the ball draft picks.

Orakpo, Rocky Mc, ST all great picks. LL and Rogers, solid but not great, although I think LL would have been great if ST was still here. Rogers was coming on before the Hall signing but is now playing his itty bitty feelings were hurt.

Seriously, besides Campbell who we took late in the first, we haven't drafted a top tier QB in sometime so I can't help but conclude that Snyderatto goes "sexy" pick over smart pick.

I honestly dont have a problem with Jimmy C. I think people who are citing quinn as a failure in the league are a bit off base i say this because look at the team he has..... Give quinn some actual recievers and you got something special hes mired in cleveland hell with his relase and short game i wouldnt mind seeing quinn here if we keep the wco.

But also remember we have a young qb ourselves not to get the cult all up in here but i think a lot of people would love to see what we actually have with Brennan so if they draft aqb OPEN COMPETION IN 2010

But in the spirit of this thread i see the skins picking Clausen or Bradford Bradford could be the steal of this draft if he drops too low.

Don't like Clausen. Frankly not super impressed with most of the top QB's. Its hard to imagine the translation into the NFL save Bradford.

Most of them have the college mechanics, if your first read is not there then you immediately take off outside the pocket or up the middle and make a play. These guys are such good athletes its over when they get outside the pocket. And these spread offenses ensure the first read is most likely there.

I really like Tony Pike though. 2nd round. :fingersx:

-Thats your personal opinion, majority of experts disagree with you.

Yes. My opinion indeed. Having seen many games, none of the QB in this class "wow" me.

Plenty of "experts" also thought Russell, Quinn, Couch, Vick, Carr, Harrington, Ramsey, Leftwich, Boller, Lossman, Smith, Campbell, Young, Leinhart, Cutler, etc... would be great successes. I'll side with history thank you. There are only a VERY small handfull of QB's taken in the first round that work out well. And the successes usually already have good talent in the trenches. We do not. Let the focus be where the team is the weakest.

I disagree. Im not talking about OL. Im talking about QB. Its the weakest QB draft class in recent memory.

Off the top of your head, who was the fourth QB taken last year?

This is NOT the weakest in recent memory or in the last two years in fact.

By the way the fourth QB taken was Pat White, who will never even be a QB. Tebow, who is most likely closer to the # 10 in this years draft, has MUCH more upside than him.

Off the top of your head, who was the fourth QB taken last year?

This is NOT the weakest in recent memory or in the last two years in fact.

By the way the fourth QB taken was Pat White, who will never even be a QB. Tebow, who is most likely closer to the # 10 in this years draft, has MUCH more upside than him.

Like anothr poster has stated. All the "top" prospects dont run pro=style offenses. Its "one read and go" out of theshotgun for most. Thats a hard sell to the NFL.

Yes. My opinion indeed. Having seen many games, none of the QB in this class "wow" me.

Plenty of "experts" also thought Russell, Quinn, Couch, Vick, Carr, Harrington, Ramsey, Leftwich, Boller, Lossman, Smith, Campbell, Young, Leinhart, Cutler, etc... would be great successes. I'll side with history thank you. There are only a VERY small handfull of QB's taken in the first round that work out well. And the successes usually already have good talent in the trenches. We do not. Let the focus be where the team is the weakest.

-They also thought BMW would be a great success, the same can be said for most positions dude, its the NFL draft its a crap shoot.. BTW jury isn't out on Young or Cutler yet.

-How are you siding with history, by saying you don't believe any Qb's are worth 1st round money?

-And I'm all for drafting a T first, but I don't think there will be a T on the board that warrants a top 10 draft pick.. Ideally, we trade down and can stock pile picks to use on the o-line, but if we can't I want to use our top 10 pick on a player that we believe is a top 10 talent.. Don't reach on a player because of necessity, no more Carlos Rogers

-What about Clausen and Locker? what about Pike?

I thinksome people are getting the wrong idea. I dont mean to put out a "these guys suck" vibe. They are ok talent IMO. Just not worth 1st round money IMO.

They all have pretty big "?". For some its the style offense, for others its the division they play in, or others there are "character" issue things, arm strength, etc...

Like I said in my OP in this thread. None of them "wow' me. I think 2011 will look better IMO.

I thinksome people are getting the wrong idea. I dont mean to put out a "these guys suck" vibe. They are ok talent IMO. Just not worth 1st round money IMO.

They all have pretty big "?". For some its the style offense, for others its the division they play in, or others there are "character" issue things, arm strength, etc...

Like I said in my OP in this thread. None of them "wow' me. I think 2011 will look better IMO.

And who do you like that will be coming out next year? Because you should know all of the major prospects. Being a one year wonder would have to be a major flaw for you as well.

I am still reserving hope that Ponder will come out this year by the way.

I didn't get that vibe from you.. I was just saying some of these guys aren't simply spread offense QB's, which I thought you were asserting in your previous post, sorry if I misunderstood.. And I agree none of these guys wow me, personally I would like to trade down to the end of the 1st, stockpile some picks to draft some o-linemen and a top notch RB.

-They also thought BMW would be a great success, the same can be said for most positions dude, its the NFL draft its a crap shoot.. BTW jury isn't out on Young or Cutler yet.

-How are you siding with history, by saying you don't believe any Qb's are worth 1st round money?

-And I'm all for drafting a T first, but I don't think there will be a T on the board that warrants a top 10 draft pick.. Ideally, we trade down and can stock pile picks to use on the o-line, but if we can't I want to use our top 10 pick on a player that we believe is a top 10 talent.. Don't reach on a player because of necessity, no more Carlos Rogers

You just answered your question with the first sentence in your post to me. Its a crap shoot. Personall, this is the year for defensive talent IMO even though we need help on offense. Personally, I think we should go with a RB in the first IF we cant trade down. Nobody in the T spot is terribly impressive either.

I htink Young could be considere a bust thus far. Sure, the team is rolling right now, but it also happened to be when a major portion of the defense got healthy and the run game is not stoppable. Its not like young is putting up crazy numbers.

Cutler is what I always though he was. He is a great talent that is too sure of himself. Until he can learn from his mistakes, he is not going to win big.

Archived