Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reed Doughty is the second best safety in the league

redskins59

That system is actually very accurate in ranking players. Reed #2, Polamalu #27...makes perfect sense.

Look at the 2008 safety ranking. Polamalu was ranked #2. This year, he has been injured most of the season, so you can't expect him to be ranked that h igh. BTW, Landry was the 5th best safety in 2008 according to their system.

This is not what I am saying. This is what profootballfocus.com is saying.

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=S&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

Per the site, the best safety in the league is Ed Reed. Washington's Reed Doughty is ranked #2.

Look at Laron Landry's ranking. He's the fifth worst safety in the league.

I don't know how accurate their methodology is, but their calculation suggests that Doughty is a very good safety.

Also, according to the site, Stephon Heyer is the fifth worst tackle in the league.

Haynesworth is the fourth best DT.

I'm a huge Reed Doughty fan.

With that being said their is no way he's the 2nd best safety in the league.

He's very good in his role as an in the box SS though.

He gets to play much like a OLB and has very limited coverage duties.

But 2nd best in the league?

You guys are letting your pre-conceived ideas about players' potential and abilities that you know they have, taint your assessment of their performances thus far. We all know Troy Polamalu is a better safety than Reed Doughty - but that doesn't mean he's played like it so far this season.

agree. i'm a little surprised at the poo-pooing of the rankings. all i see is doughty making plays. the man is very good. he doesnt make the spectacular highlight reel hit, like some other safeties---cough cough- may go for. but he always is near the ball and is a tackling machine. what more do you want from your safety?

doughty is the man. eff all the hype.

Damn...look at this!

42 tackles in 354 snaps! thats one tackle in about 8.5 snaps!

ZERO missed TACKLES! Take that Laron and Deangelo!

Speaking of Laron, 643 snaps, and only 44 tackles, 7 missed tackles

No missed tackles and 20 count as "stops". Unfortunately he's a bit weak in coverage. But really, what more can you expect out of a 7th? round draft pick? Great pick up IMO.

As other posters have said, it's too bad that Landry doesn't have Doughty's attitude. There's nothing more annoying than seeing Landry make ONE play during the game and go into his pose. I thought he was going to draw an unsportsmanlike penalty last game when he stepped over the prone WR.

No missed tackles and 20 count as "stops". Unfortunately he's a bit weak in coverage. But really, what more can you expect out of a 7th? round draft pick? Great pick up IMO.

As other posters have said, it's too bad that Landry doesn't have Doughty's attitude. There's nothing more annoying than seeing Landry make ONE play during the game and go into his pose. I thought he was going to draw an unsportsmanlike penalty last game when he stepped over the prone WR.

Actually these stats show him to be average in coverage, not weak- but very strong in run support.

This is not what I am saying. This is what profootballfocus.com is saying.

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=S&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

Per the site, the best safety in the league is Ed Reed. Washington's Reed Doughty is ranked #2.

Look at Laron Landry's ranking. He's the fifth worst safety in the league.

I don't know how accurate their methodology is, but their calculation suggests that Doughty is a very good safety.

Also, according to the site, Stephon Heyer is the fifth worst tackle in the league.

Haynesworth is the fourth best DT.

Reed is around the ball alot more then LL which should be expected since he plays strong safety.

Landry makes 1 or 2 good hits a game: IMO LL = Sellers*

* all the physical tools < their EGOs:chair:

if you use these statistics Dirty thirty is off on the INT's since he has 0 his ranking on this site is extremely low. However if he picks off a few balls before the year is over he will definately be in the top ten safeties just like he was last year. According to these same stats last year he was number 5.

if you use these statistics Dirty thirty is off on the INT's since he has 0 his ranking on this site is extremely low. However if he picks off a few balls before the year is over he will definately be in the top ten safeties just like he was last year. According to these same stats last year he was number 5.

I haven't broke down the schemtics of the stats:

First of all: Landry is playing out of position IMO. There is no need to throw deep against the Skins when the FS is going miss the TD saving tackle 70%.

How many picks does Landry have as a Starting free safety?

Has he reached double digits yet for his career?

Archived