Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sorry, but this one is on Zorn.

BleedinBurgNGold

Don't forget the cowgirls missed a FG as well. Defense played a real good game, I agree that we should have taken a shot at the end zone at the end of the first half, especially when we a long time to prepare for it. With this team, there is no margin for error, everything has to go right to win,

Rock was a real boost to the running game at times.

Kicking the field goal there was definitely the wrong call. Sure it would have been nice if Suisham made it, but it was the wrong decision.

Smartest move would have been a pooch punt to try to pin Dallas back. Even if the punt goes into the end zone, Dallas has to drive 80 yards to score a TD.

Second smartest move would have been to go for the first down. If you pick up the first, you're in the driver's seat, and even if you get stuffed, it's just a turnover on downs--no bonus field position for Dallas.

Worst move is to kick the field goal. If you miss the 50-yarder, not only is it a turnover on downs, but Dallas gets the bonus field position, taking over where the ball was kicked from. Picking up two yards is probably just as likely, if not more likely, than converting a 50-yard field goal. But the bonus field position makes it a no-brainer.

But the pooch punt still would have been the smartest move. If we call for the pooch punt there I believe we win the game.

Why don't you take a shot at the end zone with 15 seconds left on third down in the first half?

If nothing is open, launch it in the upper deck with 8 or 9 seconds left to kick the FG.

Coaching scared = losing close.

~Bang

Ex-****ing-actly! I was saying that all day. We deserved the loss, we played absolutely timid when things got a little tough. 15 seconds to go in the half, 3rd and 6, I think and we kick an FG? Because we don't want to risk the sack? You're telling me you don't trust your QB to just dropback and throw it out of the endzone/away instaed of taking a sack, and see if we can punch it in? So scared and pathetic. I was so disappointed in that.

Then the second half, terrible clock/timeout management by both Jason and Jim Zorn. Jason is so quick to call timeout when he sees something he doesn't like, even when he's got time to make a quick change. Zorn just has no sense of priority, didn't he call a timeout to avoid a delay of game on like 2nd down? Both times that happened I said to my buddy, "Those might be needed late in the 4th qtr, in a tight game like this." And if we had those timeouts we might have been able to calls timeouts the last time the Boys go the ball, to give us one more opportunity to get it into FG range.

Calling the draw play was yet another tuck the tail move by Zorn, JC, Sherm Smith, Sherm Lewis and maybe even Danny Smith. First off, it was such a bite move. Dallas ran that play all day with success, and at the most obvious time we run it. I knew it was a draw before the ball was snapped. About 2 seconds before Jason snapped it, I knew the Cowboys were bringing heat. 1st question, how the hell did Jason not at least pick up on that and switch to a pass, maybe run the screen you've run 38 times today, it makes more sense at the moment than any other. 2nd How are you, Zorn/Lewis so complacent to put your kicker in such bad position? Because you don't want to risk a sack, or pick? Are we that scared of our offense that we don't think we can get 2 yards through the air, to run out more clock, maybe get a TD or put our kicker in more make-able FG range?

This was a team loss, and I know Suisham takes blame, but I think the coaches really lost this game because they made some detrimental decisions in an attempt to "protect" a 6 point lead.

The Skins simply left too many opportunities on the field today.

The offense has to start finishing drives. We moved the ball but kept coming up short. Six points won't get it done against anyone. I loved the way Rock played. He brings a toughness that the rest of the offense lacks. We have find a way to get the ball in Thomas' hands more.

Those missed field goals hurt. One cost us points and field position.

The defense played ok but when the ball hits guys in the hands, they have to catch it. Run defense was poor which affected out ability to rush the passer. I also hate the way we tackle. It seems like the first guy rarely brings the guy down.

no, zorn not taking a shot to the endzone with 15 sec. left is unexcuseable. suisham stood on the field for 6 minutes getting cold. you had to know that was going to happen. zorn should have went for one more to the end zone. all in all the team played outstanding, considering that most of the offense is hurt.

Yeah, the offense was so much more productive earlier in the season when we had no injuries.

Haynesworth pressence alone in that game would've given us a shutout. I still feel we should do better then Zorn at HC, but we're asking him and Bugel to make lemonade out of raw sewage right now. I'm giving him credit for getting the effort he did out of this team. Having Portis back could've got us one more point. Cooley, Sameuls, Randy, hell who knows if Rhino didn't go out and another grocery bagger didn't step into to play RG.

I remember when Zorn was first here with a healthy o-line and everyone was clamering over how aggressive he was. A lot happens in a year, I guess.

The game was lost on the 3rd and 2. Every other team in the league is playing 2 down territory there. The playcalling was awful. It doesn't even seem we're playing not to lose, it seems were playing TO lose.

Not taking a shot at the EZ at the end of the 1st half is almost as bad - scared pansy football.

And heaven forbid we run a FREAKING bootleg.

Why don't you take a shot at the end zone with 15 seconds left on third down in the first half?

If nothing is open, launch it in the upper deck with 8 or 9 seconds left to kick the FG.

Coaching scared = losing close.

~Bang

I 100% agree with this quote.

Why the hell are we playing so cautious? Are we trying to preserve home field advantage through out the playoffs?:doh:

Suisham has plenty of leg for the 50 yarder..

Your idea is even more conservative than the Skins actually were..:doh:

To go up 2 scores then would have been sweet!

But of course then the Skins would have allowed a 3 play TD drive playing prevent defense and then 3 and out and punt for the offense leaving Romo sits to pee with a chance and 2:00 minutes and some change..:(

Conservative play calling cost the game along with officiating and some missed opportunities.

These coaches do not trust Campbell and sometimes I don't blame them but I'd still let him hang himself.

Coaching scared = losing close

Agreed,

coaching scared is totally inexcusable.

Irrespective of anything else that happened in the game, that moment at the end of the first half was shocking. 15 seconds to either take a shot at the endzone, take a quick shot to the sideline, or throw it away.

I can't decide if Zorn had no confidence in the Oline protecting JC, or he did not trust JC to execute either of the 3 options within 15 seconds. Maybe it was both, but c'mon, 15 bloody seconds.

Kicking the field goal there was definitely the wrong call. Sure it would have been nice if Suisham made it, but it was the wrong decision.

Smartest move would have been a pooch punt to try to pin Dallas back. Even if the punt goes into the end zone, Dallas has to drive 80 yards to score a TD.

Second smartest move would have been to go for the first down. If you pick up the first, you're in the driver's seat, and even if you get stuffed, it's just a turnover on downs--no bonus field position for Dallas.

Worst move is to kick the field goal. If you miss the 50-yarder, not only is it a turnover on downs, but Dallas gets the bonus field position, taking over where the ball was kicked from. Picking up two yards is probably just as likely, if not more likely, than converting a 50-yard field goal. But the bonus field position makes it a no-brainer.

But the pooch punt still would have been the smartest move. If we call for the pooch punt there I believe we win the game.

I think I would have punted, but it's a close call either way. As well as Suisham has been kicking, I'd guess there was a 50% chance of making it from 51 yards. The made kick would have put the game away.

Going for the first down had just about the same chance of success without the upside of salting away the win. That's not worth seven yards of field position.

How the hell can anyone blame Blache? The D held the Boys to 7 points and had 2 turnovers. Sherman Lewis, on the other hand....that draw play....:doh:

first off how do you blame the pass caller for a run play? sherm smith calls the runs ...

but to say you play percentages ..... i think thats exactly what was done.... suisham has been gold all year he was 12/13 going into that 50 yarder..... remember last week they were saying he was hitting 60 yarders with ease... so to kick the field goal was in fact going with the odds...

fact is the blame goes to everyone but our defense.... if our offense had done their job all day we wouldnt have needed that field goal either way...

FG attempt at end of first half: Once the refs settled things out, and it was 3rd & 2 -- I thought Zorn should have tried for a shot at the endzone. In fact it looked like that was what we were planning when we thought we were 3rd and 7 and just before we got tagged with the delay of game penalty.

I somewhat understood how once it 'became' 3rd & 12, Zorn probably figured that the line couldn't hold long enough for the receivers to cover 30+ yards -- and didn't want to chance losing the FG opportunity within Suisham's range.

But my only question to Zorn would be is --once we were back on the 20, why not try what we were going to try in the first place?

As for the 4th Quarter FG -- I was disappointed how the Skins wound up having to come down to deciding between such tough choices. On the third down play, it was obvious that Dallas was going to throw the kitchen sink at Campbell -- and we still ran the draw. That would have been a good time to audible.

And punting the ball, or going for 4-2, or a trying 50 yarder all become tough choices when your offensive output is a mere 6 points. Now punting was the safest choice, but with a touchback -- Romo sits to pee's on the 20. And going for it is a huge gamble -- and this season, our record hasn't been that great. As for the FG, well Suisham was in range -- but it was a longshot too. No easy choices.

I think Zorn was influenced by the scoreboard when he opted for the FG to stretch this to two scores. But morale wise, the air went out of the team's tires when Suisham missed --still had we made it, it would have been the Cowboys sagging. But who's to say our morale wouldn't have sagged had Zorn turned down a 'makeable' field goal to punr and maybe give the ball to the Cowboys on their 20?

Look, we're agonizing over field-goals; lest we forget, had Suisham remained perfect, we would have had 12 points for the day. That's not much of an offensive output.

So maybe it's the lack of scoring punch from our offense that is more of an issue. After all, the offense certainly had a lot of chances for scoring drives.

What I saw again was how our O-line and QB combo -- limit the extent of our passing game. Unfortunately I'm not sure about the receivers role in the limited offense, because with Fox's miserable game coverage, I couldn't tell if any of our receivers were ever open downfield.

However, I do wonder why we never attempted to test the depleted Cowboy secondary deep, say perhaps when Campbell rolled out or was flushed out of the pocket. If opportunity presents you with a few more seconds, why not use that 'strong' arm for a few deep patterns, or an ad hoc 30-yard shot downfield?

first off how do you blame the pass caller for a run play? sherm smith calls the runs ...

What I'm curious about - who decides if it is going to be a pass or a run? I haven't figured that out.

Does Zorn say whether he wants pass or run? Does Lewis make that call?

Archived