Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Motorola Droid

shuler74

looks like if i want anything like an iphone or droid i am going to have to leave tmobile

I'm in the same boat, but I'd have to sacrifice the "loyalty" discount (about 80 bucks a month cheaper!)

Does anyone know if there is a droid or droid like phone coming on for Tmobile?

I know they have the mytouch and the G1. Both of which are on the android system. The G1 has the keyborad and the mytouch is touchscreen only.

I'd love to see the droid get on their options list, I've been wanting something like that for awhile.

CNET video: Driod v Iphone

http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-10394819-85.html

guess who wins :)

LOL take away the "sexiness" vote which is stupid and the droid wins. This by a phone that JUST CAME OUT. :silly: But iphone users are all style over substance. ;)

Add the fact that AT&T sucks and the iphone didn't even ring when they called it just makes the whole deal a slam dunk for verizon.

I love the iPhone... I think the haters are funny. I jailbroke my last iPhone and it was cool, but since getting the 3GS, I haven't bother jailbreaking it because it does everything i need.

Regarding the AT&T network, I have had Verizon and my parents currently have Verizon. In my area, SE Virginia (hampton roads), there is no problem with AT&T. I get just as good if not better service than my parents. My dad really wants an iPhone, but the Verizon scaretactics get to him, he's so afraid that he won't have service. We've gone out to the Bay Bridge tunnel and my iPhone gets 5 bars. No problem at all. I don't have issues with dropped calls.

In my life, I've had Tmobile, Alltel, Sprint, Verizon and now AT&T. In my area, Tmobile, Alltell and Sprint suck. Verizon and AT&T are equal. A friend has the blackberry storm, AT&T's data network is WAY faster than Verizons.

I'm sure that Verizon's network is bigger etc... but I have no issues in my area as well as everywhere I've traveled to, no problems with AT&T at all. I got rid of my home phone.

Sounds like some fools trying to get headlines. Arguing that it's the worst phone when 90% of people that get one won't even consider another phone is obvious stupidity.

As for Verizon vs ATT: If you like a company that will charge you more for everything than anyone else, Verizon is your choice. They have the biggest network and by far the highest prices. Only a matter of time before the apps on the droid are either treated as rentals or their app store costs a fee to use. Verizon does that.

Anyone have more information on the actual phone instead of the typical iphone v. debate. I mean they are on different networks so no sense debating that. My gf is thinking of getting one.

1. About how much on avg. do the apps cost?

2. Is the calendar interface easy to use?

3. Does it sync well with macs including iCal?

4. What's the real time use battery life?

5. Does it have a real web browser?

She currently has a blackberry curve and hates the limited browser but is on Verizon and is not ready to switch.

There are so many free apps on the droid, and the great thing is you can order by top free apps so you don't have to wade through a bunch of stuff that costs money when you're just looking for something for free.

I think there are somewhere in the realm of 10,000 or so free apps on the droid so far, and because of the openness of it, you can expect that number to grow.

Curious as to why the G1 never got the play that this phone is getting. The original Android/Google phone with a physical keyboard. But eh, whatever. Anything but an iphone.

Honestly, I think the reason is what company has it. T-Mobile did not agressively market the G1 (at least not enough IMO) and their network and coverage is not nearly as broad Verizon and AT&T's. T-Mobile has great plans, but they are not even a consideration for me because of their network.

The G1 is a great phone, but the company it is with is not the greatest. But it was a very good test for the Google platform. Maybe that was the plan.

looks like if i want anything like an iphone or droid i am going to have to leave tmobile

I think the 3 options with android for tmobile right now are the G1, the mytouch, and the new motorola cliq.

rumor has it that tmobile will have its own version of the droid soon too. Cant recall what it will be called though (starts with an S I think)

I might have looked into the Droid if it didn't have a physical keyboard...especially a slide out keyboard. Ghey! That was a cute feature a few years ago but now its just cumbersome and adds bulk. I'd take the slim design with a touchscreen keyboard any day.

As far as overall Droid vs. iPhone, I think its too early to decide. While the iPhone interface is pretty much unbeatable, the additional features and ability to customize the Droid are nice. My biggest complaint with the iPhone is that there is no tethering option...however, because you can do so much on an iPhone I can typically get by until I'm somewhere where my laptop can get online.

I have to disgree with everyone saying the iPhone is trash and the Droid just beats it hands down. I think saying the Droid is as good or slightly better may be more accurate. iPhone is the top dog on the block so there will always be haters.

I might have looked into the Droid if it didn't have a physical keyboard...especially a slide out keyboard. Ghey! That was a cute feature a few years ago but now its just cumbersome and adds bulk. I'd take the slim design with a touchscreen keyboard any day.

The droid is surprisingly thin for having a physical keyboard. I my brother used to have another phone with a physical keyboard and it was much thicker than his new droid. I wouldn't have guessed it had a keyboard to look at it because it really is a nice size and not bulky.

My biggest complaint with the iPhone is that there is no tethering option...however, because you can do so much on an iPhone I can typically get by until I'm somewhere where my laptop can get online.

Jailbreak -> MyWi

Works great. www.blackra1n.com takes care of the jailbreak now in, oh 30 seconds. Download, press the button, wait for phone to re-boot. Then use blackra1n to install Cydia and/or Rock.

Tethering on this works a lot faster than my Verizon Wireless MyFi that I use for daily use. You can also use MyWi to connect as a WiFi hotspot.

I love the iPhone... I think the haters are funny. I jailbroke my last iPhone and it was cool, but since getting the 3GS, I haven't bother jailbreaking it because it does everything i need.

A lot of the jailbreak software has come a looooong ways since the pre 3.0 days. Software like these below have come up to new, very professional levels:

- TLert (Lets you text from any app): Quite possibly my favorite app of all. Integrates with native SMS app, and looks very, very good.

- Backgrounder/Kirikae: Backgrounds apps and kirikae gives you a quick switcher.

- Music Controls: hooks Last.FM, Slacker, Pandora, Rhapsody and automatically backgrounds them, and then puts the album art on the lockscreen and lets you use the native iPod controls to control them.)

- MyWi: Turns your phone into a hotspot on the go

- Jailbreaking also opens the door to put multiple exchange accounts on the iPhone; I have two that work seamlessly with mail, contacts & calendar.

- I'm also a pretty big fan of LockInfo which is an intelliscreen replacement and puts your calendar, missed calls, voicemail, sms & Mail on your front screen but is stable and doesn't chew through battery like intelliscreen.

CNET video: Driod v Iphone

http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-10394819-85.html

guess who wins :)

LOL. Both phones score exactly the same number of points and they have to go to two tiebreakers to pick a winner.

Prediction: Any phone that comes so close to iPhone during its first week of its release is probably the better phone long-term.

And looking at the details:

SEXINESS: iPhone wins modestly

NAVIGATION: iPhone wins barely

FEATURES: Droid wins barely

MULTIMEDIA: iPhone wins solidly

CALL QUALITY: Droid crushes

I'd say these phones are evenly matched overall. For folks who want features and call quality -- i.e. a stand-up phone for doing important things -- Droid is your device. For folks who want sexiness and absolutely seamless multimedia, it's iPhone. Pick whichever suits you.

(Until the next, even better Android comes out.)

so he would pay the 10-20 that he's paying now plus the $30 for data? is it unlimited data?

No, VZW sells it as unlimited, but it's actually capped at 5GB. It would be rough to get over that (I use about 2 on my iPhone and I probably listen to streamed music for at least 2 - 3 hours a day) but still....

If you go over 5GB, you're going to get an amazingly large phone bill. Like I said though, pretty unlikely to go over, but with the availability of torrents and stuff like that, not impossible.

I think the 3 options with android for tmobile right now are the G1, the mytouch, and the new motorola cliq.

rumor has it that tmobile will have its own version of the droid soon too. Cant recall what it will be called though (starts with an S I think)

It is going to be 4 soon with the release of the Samsung Behold II.

And yes, there is rumors that Sholes (the codename for Droid before it was released) will be coming to T-Mobile early next year in a version without the keyboard and with a better camera.

As for Verizon vs ATT: If you like a company that will charge you more for everything than anyone else, Verizon is your choice. They have the biggest network and by far the highest prices. Only a matter of time before the apps on the droid are either treated as rentals or their app store costs a fee to use. Verizon does that.

In all seriousness, phone aside, and I have posted this before....and for all the people who "pretend" their AT&T signal is so great and they never miss a beat....

I Use my phone nonstop. In restaurants, golf course, in tunnels on bridges, heck I used my blackberry on a cruise from Baltimore to Bermuda...only losing services for a little while in the middle of the ocean.

I am in business with 2 other guys. 2 of us have Verizon, one AT&T iphone. We ALWAYS have a signal, the AT&T guy never has a signal on the golf course, in a restaurant, in "low coverage areas". When you talk to him his phone is constantly in and out of static. The service SUCKS. And we don't live in PODUNK. This is in DC/Annapolis/Baltimore areas.

Maybe you guys don't use your phone that much, but I will gladly pay for service. :D

At least you can listen to the latest Hanna Montana song and flicking your bic lighter app while hoping for service. :silly:

My wife has a Pre and she loves it. It's a nice phone. I would have gotten one, if not for Sprint refusing to give me the bigger discount a month or two earlier than usual. Now that the full-featured Android phones are out and Sprint punted on their opportunity to lock me in for another two years, they probably will lose my business entirely to Verizon. Morons.

Archived