Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Motorola Droid

shuler74

The physical keyboard is king. iPhone users say they don't need one. I wouldn't do business without one, period. I guess iPhone users aren't in business. :D
I do business on my phone and a physical keyboard is trash. Outdated tech that adds nothing but weight and moving parts that are far more likely to be damaged. They add no functional benefit and serve only in appeasing hard headed people that don't want to wait the week it takes to get used to the screen board.

Posted from my iPhone :)

The physical keyboard is king. iPhone users say they don't need one. I wouldn't do business without one, period. I guess iPhone users aren't in business. :D

From what I've seen, there's really nothing that iPhone has over Droid from a functional POV. (I'm not concerned about menus being perfect in a make-believe OS utopia. I'm more interested in getting important, valuable things done.) But there are some things Droid does that iPhone just doesn't. Plus, Droid is on a real network where calls very rarely get dropped, whereas iPhone is limited to the unbelievably crappy AT&T voice/data networks.

Two problems: Verizon knows how special Droid is, and they're doing really crappy things like doubling the cancellation fee on all smartphones as a result of Droid's arrival. Also, nobody can agree on whether or not Verizon will charge an additional monthly fee for talking to an Exchange server. There are folks convinced both ways on that last one, and the hands-on consumer tests have not looked promising for free personal-use Exchange on Droid. This is incredibly important for the millions of people who submit personal mobile phone charges to their businesses for reimbursement.

I'm waiting for the holidays. Maybe Verizon will get enough blowback to at least kill the Exchange access monthly charge.

I have an iPhone now, would seriously consider switching to the Droid since it definitely does the feature set I want more (multiple exchange accounts, open development, etc.) but actually, I HATE Verizon. I hate Verizon's service, I hate that they one time ripped me out of an ETF even though I had bought the phone without a contract, and I hate their ridiculous data charges that still include data caps, and even though I don't ever sign up for contracts, I hate that they doubled their ETF. As you can see...that's a lot of hate.

Where I live AT&T seems to have great coverage, so that's not a factor; I don't drop calls very often at all.

I'm thinking that when the Motorola Milestone (Non Verizon-Branded GSM Droid) comes out, I'll probably try to buy it outright. You can pop in the SIM card and use it on AT&T, and strangely, the Milestone actually includes multi-touch which is missing on the Droid.

I actually see the physical keyboard as a drawback though. Once Apple put landscape keyboards into pretty much every app, the virtual keyboard isn't a problem. I type business emails on it all the time. I'm fast on that sucker now; much faster than I ever was on my Blackberry.

I do business on my phone and a physical keyboard is trash. Outdated tech that adds nothing but weight and moving parts that are far more likely to be damaged. They add no functional benefit and serve only in appeasing hard headed people that don't want to wait the week it takes to get used to the screen board.

Posted from my iPhone :)

Nonsense.

No matter how much you "get used to it" your typing is slower and more a pain in the rear.

You can love the iphone, but to try and say you can type as easily is pure nonsense.

Nonsense.

No matter how much you "get used to it" your typing is slower and more a pain in the rear.

You can love the iphone, but to try and say you can type as easily is pure nonsense.

I hope you are joking because I type far faster on this then I ever did on a physical keyboard. Much faster than on a blackberry and certainly faster than I can on a phone without mutli-touch (like the droid)

I'm thinking that when the Motorola Milestone (Non Verizon-Branded GSM Droid) comes out, I'll probably try to buy it outright. You can pop in the SIM card and use it on AT&T, and strangely, the Milestone actually includes multi-touch which is missing on the Droid.

Incorrect, actually.

The Droid does have multi-touch. The browser does not have multi-touch enabled, but multi-touch is supported by the OS :D

http://phandroid.com/2009/11/03/motorola-droid-multi-touch/

I do business on my phone and a physical keyboard is trash. Outdated tech that adds nothing but weight and moving parts that are far more likely to be damaged.

Damaged? I've had a bunch of physical keyboard devices from various manufacturers. None has ever been damaged. The screens are far more likely to take damage than the keyboards.

Of course, Droid has a screen keyboard, a concept which serves as a serviceable -- if inferior -- backup to its physical keyboard. You get both and both are valuable. Yay choice! :D

Interestingly, even with the physical keyboard, bigger screen, wider range of RF data communication hardware, etc., Droid barely outweighs iPhone. iPhone's weight obviously isn't due to a physical keyboard -- not sure why Apple packs pieces of lead into those things.

I have to admit that it is possible to do physical keyboards poorly. My old Moto Q proved that convincingly. Of course, a bad screen keyboard is even worse.

They add no functional benefit and serve only in appeasing hard headed people that don't want to wait the week it takes to get used to the screen board.
Or people who touch-type on their mobile devices. Or people who like tactile feedback for other reasons. Or people with bad vision or no vision. Or people who like to see the full screen while they type, because they believe they're worthy of that function on the large, luscious Droid screen.

I've used virtual keyboards more than enough to know that they just aren't as good IMO. It's a matter of personal taste, and happily Droid satisfies both instead of arrogantly refusing to support one. Most typing speed improvements are a function of good software anyway (spell check/word prediction), not the physical vs. virtual aspect of the keyboard.

I hope you are joking because I type far faster on this then I ever did on a physical keyboard. Much faster than on a blackberry and certainly faster than I can on a phone without mutli-touch (like the droid)

Never. You wont out type me on my blackberry keyboard.

Trust me my daughter sends about 1000 texts a minute. She hates a touch screen. It slows her down to about 700. ;)

I think it has something to do with apple having a patent on multi-touch.

...Which is why an OPEN-SOURCE operating system is clutch.

Want multi-touch? Get multi-touch! Droid will have it as soon as there's enough of a user base for the Android community to say "F it, we're getting this thing."

I give it 3 months, tops -- far faster than it took for iPhone to get a landscape keyboard. ;) And that's if it isn't just flat-out made universally available on Droid in the first place.

Nonsense.

Nah, I'm no Apple fanboi; I frequently trash them, but I don't mind not having it. The only reason I would want one, is as mjah said later in the thread is to be able to see the whole screen while I'm typing. I don't like the Droid's keyboard.

If the buttons were more raised on the Droid, I could see me getting faster on it than the iPhone, but not in it's current state.

Droid barely outweighs iPhone. iPhone's weight obviously isn't due to a physical keyboard -- not sure why Apple packs pieces of lead into those things.

Probably to compensate for the crappy pieces of plastic they encase it in. That way it feels heavier.... First thing you have to do when you purchase an iPhone is put it in a $20 case. Ridiculous....

Want multi-touch? Get multi-touch! Droid will have it as soon as there's enough of a user base for the Android community to say "F it, we're getting this thing."

I give it 3 months, tops -- far faster than it took for iPhone to get a landscape keyboard. And that's if it isn't just flat-out made universally available on Droid in the first place.

No argument from me on the Open-Source. Apple's App Review is bogus. iPhones are so much better jailbroken it's absurd. Apple is proving once again that Apple's only enemy is Apple. If they weren't such an arrogant bunch they would have long ago taken over the PC industry. If they would let people truly develop for the iPhone, it would be amazing....

Also, as a shout-out to the jailbreak guys - they did bring landscape to the iPhone in about 3 months tops....Same bunch of guys that do amazing stuff for Android, just less restricted, which is why Android will ultimately take over.

Nah, I'm no Apple fanboi; I frequently trash them, but I don't mind not having it. The only reason I would want one, is as mjah said later in the thread is to be able to see the whole screen while I'm typing. I don't like the Droid's keyboard.

If the buttons were more raised on the Droid, I could see me getting faster on it than the iPhone, but not in it's current state.

Not commenting on the 2 phones.

Just saying, you will never out type me on a physical keyboard vs a touch screen. It's nonsense.

And it's not because I am hard headed.

The touch screens are cool for playing and surfing the web. They are worthless for sending lots of emails in the field.

I am pretty much a WinMo fanboy, but a buddy of mine got a Droid and I must say that is one badass phone. If I didnt hate Verizon with the burning hot passion of a 1000 suns I would get it. the iphone is trash compared to it. Android will be what "kills" the iphone.

Waiting on the HTC Dragon myself. Same specs as the HD2 but with Android...it damn well better come to Sprint and not just Verizon!

Not commenting on the 2 phones.

Just saying, you will never out type me on a physical keyboard vs a touch screen. It's nonsense.

And it's not because I am hard headed.

The touch screens are cool for playing and surfing the web. They are worthless for sending lots of emails in the field.

I would agree that a good physical keyboard that slides out like the Droid (the Droid doesn't have a great one though) would be superior. No doubt.

Still, the iPhone is far from worthless. I can still knock down at least 50 WPM or a little more. Agreed though, I would be faster on a good physical keyboard.

My daughter is a cell phone text addict.

About 8 months ago she convinced me to buy her a touch screen phone.

She begs me daily to let her switch back to her env2.

No amount of getting used to lets a text addict or a guy trying to send an email, using a touch screen, do so quickly and without error.

I would only consider the droid because of its full keyboard.

Touch screens are for coolness factor only. :evilg:

which phone did she get?

I text a fair amount with my iphone.

when vertical the keyboard is cramped but still easy to use.

when horizontal it's a breeze and hands down the best phone keyboard I've used. it's quick and responsive. I've tried out some of verizons older touch phones. the "touch" on such phones such as the storm felt clunky to use.

which phone did she get?

I text a fair amount with my iphone.

when vertical the keyboard is cramped but still easy to use.

when horizontal it's a breeze and hands down the best phone keyboard I've used. it's quick and responsive. I've tried out some of verizons older touch phones. the "touch" on such phones such as the storm felt clunky to use.

the dare and it goes horizontal

I give it 3 months, tops -- far faster than it took for iPhone to get a landscape keyboard. ;) And that's if it isn't just flat-out made universally available on Droid in the first place.

Unfortunately, Android isn't all THAT open. There have been issues between Google and those making custom builds.

Personally, I'm going for the real open source phone OS: Maemo. Hopefully I'll have my Nokia N900 in a couple of weeks.

Archived