Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My Daughter is in the State Pageant: Update Aug-21st

AsburySkinsFan

~~~~

Scroll to bottom for update

~~~~

Hey fellow ES'ers, my 4 year old is one of four girls from my county to be competing in the Kentucky State Festivals Pageants, state pageant today. Please wish them good luck, and if anyone has any Tylenol I could use some. ;)

Bailey 4 year old (my daughter)

Brayli 7 year old (on my soccer team)

Savannah (14 year old)

Jesslyn (19 year old)

Thanks all, Bailey finished as a runner up, not what we were hoping for but we know that she did everything she could and that she hit all of her marks kept eye contact with the judges, her stage presence was fantastic, and she in my opinion stole the show. It was a good day and we are very proud of her in that she did so well, but sometimes the judges see things differently.

Here's a pic of her just before we went down, they don't allow photography during the pageant because they contract a professional for all of that.

Beauty2.jpg

• 6 months later...

Didn't think I needed to start a new thread for this, so I'll just bump this one with an update.

I actually forgot to post this from right after she won. But my daughter won Tiny Miss Berea (Berea, Kentucky) and will be going to the State pageant later this month. This pageant line is the same as the Miss America for the older girls. We are very proud of our daughter and we see her getting better and better with every pageant that she's in, and what's more is that she loves them.

She's front left:

23821_349737926845_540021845_4179484_5671010_n.jpg

I'm glad the family and (hopefully) she had fun. I still don't really like beauty pageants for children so young though. There's just something icky and unsettling about it. Make sure you celebrate her intellectual and spiritual beauty too and let her explore all sorts of ways to achieve and excel, whether its art, sports, science or whatever.

Well congrats ASF. I raised a neice and she was never into the pagaents and would have much rather have been playing soccer or softball so I don't know all the details as you must know.

But my understanding is that these things are very competitive and require an immense amount of time and effort. ( like everything does if you want to be successful) And that sometimes the parents can go a little overboard with these things. Not saying that your one of those people of course.

But I get the impression, and it could be entirely false, that a lot of times the parents or in particular the mothers, are actually more involved in these things than the daughter who is competing. I imagine that this is a small minority if at all, but you know how the media spins.

Can you share some of your insights as to the pros and cons of these things?

I'm glad the family and (hopefully) she had fun. I still don't really like beauty pageants for children so young though. There's just something icky and unsettling about it. Make sure you celebrate her intellectual and spiritual beauty too and let her explore all sorts of ways to achieve and excel, whether its art, sports, science or whatever.
Never understood putting your girl children into this world?

As a preacher whats your take on it? at 3+ they didn't pick it as a career opp.

She's adorable.

Well congrats ASF. I raised a niece and she was never into the pagaents and would have much rather have been playing soccer or softball so I don't know all the details as you must know.

But my understanding is that these things are very competitive and require an immense amount of time and effort. ( like everything does if you want to be successful) And that sometimes the parents can go a little overboard with these things. Not saying that your one of those people of course.

But I get the impression, and it could be entirely false, that a lot of times the parents or in particular the mothers, are actually more involved in these things than the daughter who is competing. I imagine that this is a small minority if at all, but you know how the media spins.

Can you share some of your insights as to the pros and cons of these things?

I'll just address all three. I am very well aware of the concerns, and when my daughter first became eligible to be in these pageants my reaction was that I didn't want my daughter in a dog show where she was just lined up in front of some judges and they made some arbitrary decisions on which they liked best. I too have seen the "Toddlers and Tiaras" and that crap makes me sick to my stomach, fake tans, fake teeth, fake hair and enough stage make up to choke a horse, not to mention the thousand dollar dresses, that crap is simply egregious.

The pageants that my daughter participates in are judged based on poise, interview, and yes beauty. For me watching my daughter hit her marks, and make her turns is like watching her dance, and to hear a 5 year old interview clearly and definitively with complete sentences is a sign of her growing confidence, especially when she's on stage in front of nearly 400 people as she did at the State pageant last year.

As for time consuming, yes they can be, but the time that we put into pageants is very much on par to the time that we put into my son's baseball and basketball teams.

Ever since she began competing in pageants we have continually asked her if she wanted to continue, or if she wanted to quit pageants, we've never put any pressure on her to continue, and as a matter of fact she was in a county fair pageant last night and after it was over she looked up and said with a smile, "When do I get to do it again?" It really is amazing to watch her, because if you were to meet her one-on-one she will virtually climb into my back pocket out of shyness, but on stage she really turns it on, the smile comes out, the confidence is obvious and her intelligence in her interview is apparent; and no, it's not all puppy dogs and world peace.:pfft: As she gets older and if she still wishes to compete then the talent portion which is now an optional category for her will be added to the things that she will be judged on.

It's funny really, because my son is very very much the athlete, since he was 3 he's played t-ball, and soccer, and this year he played on his school's basketball team where they won their county championship undefeated, he has since dropped soccer but is very much into baseball and plays our short stop. Our daughter on the other hand has zero interest in sports, she loves the dresses, she loves getting her hair done, and she loves performing on the stage, and one of the best parts for me is that she doesn't start crying if she doesn't place or win a title.

For me the worst part is the anticipation just before she goes out on the stage, I'm not worried that the judges won't score her well, I get nervous hoping that she will do her best, and once she's finished my nerves abate because for me at that point nothing else matters because I know the judging is very much individualized and that's fine, I just really like watching my daughter perform well.

As for the competitiveness of the parents, yes it is certainly there, but it's also not mandatory for parents to act the part of the fool. ;)

Glad to hear that ASF. I do know that sometimes parents can be more involved or interested in their kid's activities than the kids themselves. It sounds like your making sure that it's something she want's to do every step of the way.

My neice, the one I raised, never was into the pagaents, and really was only interested in playing the sports her brother played in. She was ultra competitive and became quite a soccer and softball player. When my nephew, her brother, started to play hockey she wanted to also. Gladly, she decided rather quickly that sport was not for her and I think it's the only activity she did not follow her brother into.

I do remember when my boy was playing hockey that some fathers were ultra competitive and it seemed living through their kids vicariously. We took the same approach as you and made sure it was something they wanted to do. Niether of the kids possessed astounding athletic ability but they enjoyed playing various sports for the pure enjoyment of the game.

Indeed, as is the case with any youth sports and competitions.;)

Yep, gotta watch out for living your life through the younguns.

Congrats and best wishes to her.

Not my cup of tea,though several of my cousins kids enjoyed those things and benefited from them imo.

• 2 months later...

Bailey won again today!! She is now the Little Miss Queen of the Garrard Country Heritage Festival. This qualifies her for the 2nd year in a row for the state level competition. She's in the pink. Our good friend's daughter won the Princess title (center), and my son's 3rd grade teacher's daughter won Queen for her age category (right).

41274_420856811845_540021845_5390345_7612253_n.jpg

h-W9uhj91XU

I'm with you; not a big fan of beauty pageants; especially at such young ages.

I'm with you; not a big fan of beauty pageants; especially at such young ages.

It's more than about beauty. Although I always do find it strange that most have no issue with youth sports which is nearly entirely dictated by genetics, but draw the line at pageants. My guess is that there is just a lot of misunderstanding regarding pageants.

It's more than about beauty. Although I always do find it strange that most have no issue with youth sports which is nearly entirely dictated by genetics, but draw the line at pageants. My guess is that there is just a lot of misunderstanding regarding pageants.

I like sports because its about drive and determination. Both sports and pageants are can be bad with over-involved parents pushing their kids and making them feel as though the have to win. I don't like about pageants that they are the epitome of superficiality (not the contestants, necessarily; I'm a big fan of former Miss Virginia who shaved her head for charity and played hockey as a goalie :cloud9: ) and I don't like the dolling up of little girls and marching them out to be judged.

That said, if that's what makes her happy and as parents you make sure to keep her from vanity, who am I to judge?

I like sports because its about drive and determination.

See this is where I think that you may not be fully understanding pageants, in many ways it takes the same sort of drive and determination to succeed at pageants as it does in sports. If it wouldn't take a decade to upload the entire pageant video you'd be able to see the difference between girls who prepare and one's who don't, in exactly the same ways that you see that in sports players who do and don't prepare.

Both sports and pageants are can be bad with over-involved parents pushing their kids and making them feel as though the have to win.

Agreed.

I don't like about pageants that they are the epitome of superficiality

Disagree, the pageants that my daughter is in are way more than physical beauty, it's about how they present themselves (confidence etc), how they interview (speaking, thinking etc.) What's more is that here in Kentucky we have the Junior Miss which is a scholarship program that is based on athletics, talent, academics, poise, and confidence. The girls that win that competition will full ride scholarships and they are the one's who have spent their lives preparing in exactly the same way that baseball players spend their lives preparing for athletic scholarships.

(not the contestants, necessarily; I'm a big fan of former Miss Virginia who shaved her head for charity and played hockey as a goalie :cloud9: ) and I don't like the dolling up of little girls and marching them out to be judged.

What about gymnastics?

That said, if that's what makes her happy and as parents you make sure to keep her from vanity, who am I to judge?

;)

Archived