Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN: Laron Landry, "I'm a Smart Tackler"

Taylor 21

Yea Landry was in the right position against jacobs...he just got trucked! Credit to Jacobs for making the play and being much larger than Landry.

Other plays tho...=\ ...Landry has to tighten up on his tackling and late hits...he's been in the NFL long enough now to know you CAN'T make those mistakes as a starter in this league.

Sure there was: Tackle him from the side or go for his legs. He could also do a tackle where he just latches onto him and tries to spin him down. A smart tackler knows that he's not going to stand still and plow back a full-speed wrecking ball.

Um, look again, he was going at his legs...you can't go much lower on a RB open field than he did...see Turner/falcons game as to reasons why.

Landry was in position, I dont know what you mean by stand still? Would you rather him run back 10 yards then get a running start? And how exactly does he get in a position to tackle him from the side? you rather he sidestepped and get stiff armed all to heck? Landry was at that spot on the field and thats where the play had to be made...its just that Jacobs made the play instead....and whew did he ever make a play

Sure there was: Tackle him from the side or go for his legs. He could also do a tackle where he just latches onto him and tries to spin him down. A smart tackler knows that he's not going to stand still and plow back a full-speed wrecking ball.
Um, look again, he was going at his legs...you can't go much lower on a RB open field than he did...see Turner/falcons game as to reasons why.

Landry was in position, I dont know what you mean by stand still? Would you rather him run back 10 yards then get a running start? Thats where he was on the field and thats where he had to make the play...its just the Jacobs happen to make that play....whew and did he ever

Dude, no. Like I said, and you quoted, he could've taken a different angle or wrapped him up and pulled him around. Only an idiot (and I love Landry) would think that you could go THROUGH Jacobs at that point.

And no, he wasn't just stuck there. That doesn't happen unless you are playing as him on Madden and weren't paying attention. He had to get there somehow, he chose a bad angle, thought that he could run through him, and he failed. Great on Jacobs, bad on Landry.

Dude, no. Like I said, and you quoted, he could've taken a different angle or wrapped him up and pulled him around. Only an idiot (and I love Landry) would think that you could go THROUGH Jacobs at that point.

And no, he wasn't just stuck there. That doesn't happen unless you are playing as him on Madden and weren't paying attention. He had to get there somehow, he chose a bad angle, thought that he could run through him, and he failed. Great on Jacobs, bad on Landry.

So did he take a bad angle or was he standing still trying to plow a wrecking ball? which is it?

Landry was in no way trying to "go through' Jacobs, he was trying to get his legs...he just got trucked

"No we dont, its all about attitude. You have hitters and you have tacklers."

Some guy asked him which one are you and his response:

"I'm a little bit of both. You know, I'm a smart tackler... let's put it that way."

The second quote contradicts the first quote which makes the "smart" in the second quote wrong.

These kind of answers screams...please trade me, cut me, or bench me. It was refreshing to see the Pittsburgh Steelers players, on MNF, just repeat the same answers that the head coach gave. It just goes to show that the Steelers have a much better coached football team than we do.

BTW, how can you call yourself a "tackler" when you don't wrap the guy up and bring him to the ground? LL is a joke.

Landry was in position, I dont know what you mean by stand still? Would you rather him run back 10 yards then get a running start? And how exactly does he get in a position to tackle him from the side? you rather he sidestepped and get stiff armed all to heck? Landry was at that spot on the field and thats where the play had to be made...its just that Jacobs made the play instead....and whew did he ever make a play

I agree completely. I actually think the Brandon Jacobs play is a good example what should have occurred on Turner. Yeah, Landry got trucked by Jacobs, but at least the contact slowed down and/or got Jacobs off balance enough that he fell down soon after. Landry was actually in damn good tackling position against him (so much so that it surprised me, I half expected him to just go flying by).

He should of done the same with Turner. Maybe the Jacobs play got in his head. Nobody likes to get run over, but if its going to stop a runner from scoring 6, it's better than nothing.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

hang on, let me catch my breath for a sec.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

I have to disagree as well . He took the best angle he could he was the last defender . He sacrificed himself to slow Jacobs down and stopped the sure TD .. lets not forget I think 5 other Redskins had a shot at him .

As much as I don't want to come out and defend him after this down season, he has a terrible attitude to the fans but on the field he is having I think he is getting a roasting for no reason . How I would love to come on here and hear someone say ..."hey our defensive backs must be doing something right because they are no.1. against the pass" but every thread is bashing someone over a handful of plays,and yes I understand the handful of plays is the difference between winning and loosing and right now the team is sucking .

I also remember 2005 when you all wanted Sean Taylor cut because of the off field troubles and in 2006 when the entire D was sucking ...

Yes it sucks to be 2-6 but you have to enjoy the little things, and remember every day is a day closer to the end of Vinny - surely hopefully :fingersx:

The real sad thing is these deluded clowns actually still believe there a super talented bunch that's just going through a rough patch, and can match up with the best of them in the NFL.

Sad, sad waste of God given talent LaRon.

You could be the one of the best safeties to ever play the game. But instead you refuse to mature and take your profession seriously, and continue to let your employers, coaches, teammates, fans and not least the jersey on your back down.

You should be the best of the best with your natural athletic ability. Instead your just a good starting NFL safety, and not even that most weeks.

Sad, sad waste of God given talent.

Hail.

Delusional much. The ones that are part of the problem rarely see it or think they are. I thought this guy had a lot of promise and upside and he's been a big disappointment lately. He has to change his mindset and work harder...I think he can be better if he works at it and gets the right attitude about game prep and work ethic.

Come on man he was in text book position on that play to make the tackle.. he cant help it if Jacobs weighs 75 more lbs than him.. PLUS he was almost standing still while Jacobs was running full speed.. that would of happened with anyone trying to tackle the dude in that situation.

Now i am not defending him on all of his other crappy tackles cause he isnt smart at all, but that play there was nothing he could of done differently.

Sean Taylor was NEVER leveled in the way that Laron was on that play. So I guess there was a way to make that tackle or he just magically was never put in the position to totally be owned by any offensive player.

Landry is to tackling as Snyder is to owning.

So did he take a bad angle or was he standing still trying to plow a wrecking ball? which is it?

Landry was in no way trying to "go through' Jacobs, he was trying to get his legs...he just got trucked

He either got there 1 stride too early or too late. Because he got there when Jacobs was coming off his power side leg. Had Laron been in position when Jacobs was pushing off the ground he would have made the tackle or up ending him.

killdozer.gif

Smart

Ummm.. technically, doesn't Landry get credit for the tackle there? No one else touched Jacobs before he went down.

Ya, he got trucked, but that's still a tackle. Ugly, but semi-effective.

Unlike plenty of his tackle attempts the past two years that were just plain non-effective.

Archived