Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN: Laron Landry, "I'm a Smart Tackler"

Taylor 21

Ryan Clark would have tackled Jacobs. ST was an impact player who could also cover. I haven't seen anything textbook from LL. I won't blame it all on Landry though. Coaching has a lot to do with it as well as not having the right players. Why we never went after another strong side linebacker, I'll never know. Marcus Washington at half speed would be better than what we are doing. Orakpo needs to be on the line with his hand in the dirt, period.

Ryan Clark would have tackled Jacobs. ST was an impact player who could also cover. I haven't seen anything textbook from LL. I won't blame it all on Landry though. Coaching has a lot to do with it as well as not having the right players. Why we never went after another strong side linebacker, I'll never know. Marcus Washington at half speed would be better than what we are doing. Orakpo needs to be on the line with his hand in the dirt, period.

Are you sure about that? The Giants beat the Steelers last year, and Jacobs might have had something to do with that... then again, I didn't watch that game.

ST was a playmaker. Interceptions, big hits, big plays. Landry does none of that. Even in his first couple years he was still a game changer.

Landry sucks. One could argue he's regressed.

And one could argue that his regression has been contributed to by the fact that now he's playing next to Horton/Doughty instead of ST. Just like those Tenn players who "regressed" after they signed with other teams and weren't playing next to Big Al anymore, and, on the flip side, Andre Carter's sudden resurgence. The great ones make the people next to them better.

Now Landry is supposed to be THE GUY...and he's not. Not yet at least. But like I said, Landry's a young guy. He's going to get better, not worse. As frustrating a player as he is sometimes, I'm not going to be some reactionary fool like others on this board and say we should cut him. Patience my friends. He's got time to develop. It's not like we have world-beaters on the other side of the ball and a team being held back by Landry's over-aggressivenss and missed tackles

This I can agree with... Taylor would of made a hell of a hit on Jacobs. I know for a fact that Taylor wouldn't be stoned like that. If anything, if Taylor made that hit they both would of flown backwards at the point of contact...

Didn't ST and Jacobs meet head on once...? I thought I saw that in a game maybe 2006? But I remember the announcer saying that ST has complete disregard for his body to make a play. I also believed he stopped Jabcos...

You would think that after he watched the game film with coaches and teammates he would have been so humbled and humiliated that he would have a different attitude.

Maybe the coaches told him good job and that he was a smart tackler? At this point nothing would surprise.

And one could argue that his regression has been contributed to by the fact that now he's playing next to Horton/Doughty instead of ST. Just like those Tenn players who "regressed" after they signed with other teams and weren't playing next to Big Al anymore, and, on the flip side, Andre Carter's sudden resurgence. The great ones make the people next to them better.

Now Landry is supposed to be THE GUY...and he's not. Not yet at least. But like I said, Landry's a young guy. He's going to get better, not worse. As frustrating a player as he is sometimes, I'm not going to be some reactionary fool like others on this board and say we should cut him. Patience my friends. He's got time to develop. It's not like we have world-beaters on the other side of the ball and a team being held back by Landry's over-aggressivenss and missed tackles

He has had time to develop, he has been here for three years and whether he was supposed to be THE GUY or not he is and as a six over all pick he should be playing better than he is. He is not a good tackler, he struggles reading plays, and takes bad angles.

Websters=

Smart Tackler: 1)A player who runs full speed then throws himself at the opposing player's feet, taking himself out of the play. 2)A player who is always out of position so he doesn't have to look silly when he doesn't make the tackle. 3)One who gets run over like a mack truck because he tries to tackle a beastly power back up high in the opener after sitting out all of training camp.

Yep, Landry's right, he is a smart tackler.

He has had time to develop, he has been here for three years and whether he was supposed to be THE GUY or not he is and as a six over all pick he should be playing better than he is. He is not a good tackler, he struggles reading plays, and takes bad angles.

You're right. He has had some time to develop, and in his 3rd year he should be ahead of where he is now, but he's not. He's immature, and it shows in his over-aggressiveness. It causes him to miss too many tackles, and he takes bad angles too frequently.

So what do we do about it? Do we give up and jettison a guy with all the athletic ability in the world because it hasn't worked out yet and spend a draft pick trying to replace an adequate starter when we have major holes in multiple other areas?

I hate to keep going back to the ST comparison, but since I don't really know the career arc of safeties on other teams, I will say again that ST seemed to have many of the same problems his first 2 years. Then the lightbulb went on his 3rd year and he improved dramatically. LL hasn't had that bulb come on yet. That doesn't mean it won't.

Landry is all but finished as a player IMO. If he is coached by a strict disciplinarian next year maybe he can get better, but I don't see it happening any other way. He plays horribly for an entire game and then celebrates like a jackass when he finally does one thing right. The guy needs to get ***** slapped soon or his career will be over.

Landry is all but finished as a player IMO. If he is coached by a strict disciplinarian next year maybe he can get better, but I don't see it happening any other way. He plays horribly for an entire game and then celebrates like a jackass when he finally does one thing right. The guy needs to get ***** slapped soon or his career will be over.

That's a little extreme. Get a hard-nosed coach in here and he's the best safety in the NFC, easily. He's very, very young and has tremendous talent. To say that he's done is, well, I won't comment.

Smart means not to hit the QB out of bounds. I think the D should be commended on everything aspect. They miss tackles b/c they are on the field more than any other D. The Pass defense is top 5 and the run D would be too if other teams were not on the field for three quarters. I would stop bashing the D b/c everyone on every network says this is a playoff caliber D and the offense is holding them back.

They weren't on the field too long on that first Desean Jackson Run. They weren't on the field too long for the Turner TD run. The Manningham TD in the Giants game was 5 minutes into the second quarter. How about the Detroit Rookie QB scramble for 20+ yards on a 3rd and long in the first quarter? How about Hall being juked by damn Delhome?

Landry and Hall need to practice T A C K L I N G!

The D is good, I will give you that. I am for the most part happy with their play, but they should NOT be commended on every aspect. The Secondary tackling this year is horrid. Bad News Bears worthy.

On the topic of the OP, I can't believe Landry would say that out loud so other people can hear him. Everyone in there doing the interviews should have started laughing out loud. Landry has been major sucking this year in the tackling department. Right now, he is ANYTHING but a smart tackler.

You're right. He has had some time to develop, and in his 3rd year he should be ahead of where he is now, but he's not. He's immature, and it shows in his over-aggressiveness. It causes him to miss too many tackles, and he takes bad angles too frequently.

So what do we do about it? Do we give up and jettison a guy with all the athletic ability in the world because it hasn't worked out yet and spend a draft pick trying to replace an adequate starter when we have major holes in multiple other areas?

I hate to keep going back to the ST comparison, but since I don't really know the career arc of safeties on other teams, I will say again that ST seemed to have many of the same problems his first 2 years. Then the lightbulb went on his 3rd year and he improved dramatically. LL hasn't had that bulb come on yet. That doesn't mean it won't.

I don't know if letting him go is the answer. Maybe he should move back to SS where there is not as much open space to make a play. But it is just not Landry, open field tackling seems to be a problem with the entire defensive backfield. To me that speaks to a lack of discipline instilled by the coaches. It seems to me that the coaches are allowing his type of play because it has not changed since he has been there.

Open field with a guy twice his size - in that Jacobs picture. Who can tackle him while he is in the open field and running full speed?

How about Fletcher, who absolutely de-cleated Brandon Jacobs in week 1?

Fletcher needs to open up a tackling school and Landry and Hall need to be the first students.

I have to applaud you people for taking yet another comment and twisting it up. Laron also stated in a interview that he could have tackled better in the game and needs to work on it. Way to make it sound like he was taking no blame at all:doh:

No ****, could he tackle better.... He is a 3rd year Safety, who seems to have regressed. At this stage, he shouldn't have to work on tackling better. He simply does not wrap people up, wants to get a big hit and knock someone hard, and thinks he can one arm tackle NFL RBs. Sorry doesn't work that way. I figured NFL players were taught the fundamental wrapping up tackle from day one.

However, What was twisted about :

“It’s a personal attitude that you have about yourself,” Landry said. “You can be a hitter or a tackler. That’s what it’s about.”

Which is Landry?

“A little bit of both,” he said. “I’m a smart tackler, put it that way.”

Sorry he HAS NOT been a smart tackler this season. Yes he said earlier in the interview

“We didn’t tackle all that great in the game last week, so we have to come out and work hard to get the next guy down,” Landry said. “Personally, I did not do a great job...The second touchdown where he hurdled over me--I did not do a great job on that play.”

Sorry, but IMO, he didn't do a good job tackling. Not anwhere close to "Not a great job".

He is a VERY well paid player, who is not meeting his side of the deal. Simple as that. He is paid to make "Smart Tackles", which he hasn't had many this season. I don't know what happened, he was a pretty solid tackler last season.

Maybe it is the lip piercing... :silly:

If you want to let players off with their bad play, go ahead. I expect a little more out of Million dollar "players".

Archived