Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A few football questions

darrelgreenie

I just wanted to ask a few football questions

What is the difference between the X and the Z receiver?

Who are the Redskins X and Z receivers?

What is an unbalanced line?

What is Cover-2?

What is Cover-3?

Which scheme do the redskins use more often?

What are the responsibilites of the LDE in the Redskins defensive scheme?

Name the 3 most common NFL offensive systems?

Which scheme do the Redskins run?

Name a coach from each system.

What is a 3-4 defense?

Name 2 teams that run it:

I just wanted to ask a few football questions

What is the difference between the X and the Z receiver?

X is the split end, or the receiver who generally lines up on the line of scrimmage. The Z is the flanker, the receiver that usually goes to the TE (or Y) side of the formation and lines up "off" the line of scrimmage. Bigger stronger guys are typically the X, smaller faster guys are typically the Z.

Who are the Redskins X and Z receivers?

I'm not sure we have any particular lineup. I would venture to say that a guy like DT or MK would be the X and Moss/El would be the Z, however I don't think there's any set X or Z on this team.

What is an unbalanced line?

A line with the guards or tackles or both to the same side of the formation as the other guards and tackles. Pretty much saying there are more linemen to one side of the formation than to the other.

What is Cover-2?

2 deep safeties (or players in general as corners/outside backers can drop too, but generally you'll see the safeties) which can be played with man coverage underneath or it can be used as a full zone defense.

What is Cover-3?

3 deep players. Usually both corners and a safety, but like the cover 2, that can change. Generally a cover 3 look is used with a zone coverage scheme, but there are some man schemes as well.

Which scheme do the redskins use more often?

With our cushion, we use more of a cover 3 look with Landry as the deep safety and Horton/Doughty patrolling more in the box as a fourth linebacker.

What are the responsibilites of the LDE in the Redskins defensive scheme?

Shut down running lanes, play CCR (Cut back, Contain, Reverse) and force the quarterback to the opposite side of the formation into the waiting hands of Andre Carter.

Name the 3 most common NFL offensive systems?

West Coast Offense (Reid), Erhardt-Perkins (Belichick [Weis]), Smashmouth (Arians, but recently this has evolved), Air Coryell (which is remarkably similar to the WCO, Norv Turner, Al Saunders), Spread Offense [or Wildcat] (Henning).

Which scheme do the Redskins run?

Not black and white. We run a smashmouth running game with the West Coast passing offense. But really, we run neither. Nowadays, offensive systems don't fit as nicely in these neat definitions.

What is a 3-4 defense?

3 down linemen, 4 linebackers (2 inside, 2 outside), 4 defensive backs (2 safeties, 2 corners)

Name 2 teams that run it:

Green Bay Packers and Pittsburgh Steelers.

X is the split end, or the receiver who generally lines up on the line of scrimmage. The Z is the flanker, the receiver that usually goes to the TE (or Y) side of the formation and lines up "off" the line of scrimmage. Bigger stronger guys are typically the X, smaller faster guys are typically the Z.

That's why i've always wondered why Zorn plays Moss as the X.

A line with the guards or tackles or both to the same side of the formation as the other guards and tackles. Pretty much saying there are more linemen to one side of the formation than to the other.

Its a bit unconventional but when you aren't trying to hide the fact that you're going to run to a particular side it a great way to get a numbers advantage on the defense or at least a better blocker.

The Ravens used it alot last year and the Bengals have been doing it this year.

They move their TE and OT switch sides.

So for example they have C, RG, RT, LT.

Shut down running lanes, play CCR (Cut back, Contain, Reverse) and force the quarterback to the opposite side of the formation into the waiting hands of Andre Carter.

Which is why Orakpo doesn't really fit as our LDE unless we have a known passing down or are ahead by a few scores.

Not black and white. We run a smashmouth running game with the West Coast passing offense. But really, we run neither. Nowadays, offensive systems don't fit as nicely in these neat definitions.

Agreed, although i would add that our WC passing game is very 3 step drop intensive because of the OL and imo Zorn's very simplisitic in the route combinations

Thanks, i just wanted to talk football for a change.

Why do you ask?

Sounds like you are trying to figure out Madden 2010.

Did you read my response to KDawg?

I wanted to talk football today.

I was listening to the Sports Reporters awhile back and i heard one them define the X, Y and Z receivers and he was dead wrong.

That was the spark for this thread.

*BTW-I do play madden PS3 i use the Skins and play a good realistic SIM game

As he mentioned, this thread was clearly created to talk football. Darrell knows the game, at least to the point of knowing the basics (and probably more, I haven't had indepth conversations about the game with him). It's always nice to talk about the actual GAME and not the crap around it (though, the crap DOES make a difference, it's just nice to talk X and O's sometimes)

Which is why Orakpo doesn't really fit as our LDE unless we have a known passing down or are ahead by a few scores

Neither Umenyiora or Tuck are big guys on the Giants yet they both start. I think Umenyiora is actually pretty good at playing containment against the run, but from what I understand he is still the rush end most downs. How have the Giants achieved such defensive success by going small? It's not like their linebackers are, or have been anything to write home about for several years now.

I'm asking this because I wonder if it would be a good idea for us to use Orakpo more often at LE. We don't get many leads to force the pass so he's not getting a lot of opportunities. He's a very strong player who I think could play containment fairly well and I know I've seen him stacking blockers pretty well at times this season. But that's not really what I'm aiming for.

I was wondering if Orakpo could be used often to rush the passer from the LE spot like a RE would? I think it would make the QB's pocket collapse a lot more quickly to have another elite rusher coming around the edge. Would it compromise our defense too much to have the SLB take over a lot of the containment duties? If you are worried about the seams that would create how about using the SS for containment or giving him the SLB's coverage responsibilities? Sure it's a gamble, but I think it would pay off in a lot more pressures, hurries, and sacks. The idea would be to take away long drops and slow developing play fakes every single down.

I ask this in all seriousness, a 4-3 defense would be the opposite of a 3-4? Please don't bash me.

In a 4-3 you have 4 lineman and 3 linebackers. 2 DT's a LDE and a RDE. In a 3-4 defense you have only 3 down lineman and 4 linebackers.

People keep talking about Orakpo being a LDE - dont know where that is coming from he is a just about the ideal RDE and when he plays DE in nickle situations that is almost always where he lines up. Jarmon was taken to be our LDE of the future.

I ask this in all seriousness, a 4-3 defense would be the opposite of a 3-4? Please don't bash me.

No one should ever get bashed for asking an honest question around here. Especially because football is so jargony. The answer to your question is yep. It just means 4 down linemen and 3 linebackers instead of the other way around.

But the differences are a little more complicated than they sound. Because on most downs in a 4-3 you typically get an extra lineman and one less linebacker, the responsibilities, body types, and skill set requirements for each of the guys in the front 7 are different between the schemes.

For example, 4-3 linemen are typically a little smaller and faster accross the board than 3-4 linemen because they typically don't have to take on as many blockers or cover multiple gaps. You'll also see a difference in where 4-3 linemen lineup in front of the offensive line versus where 3-4 linemen do. For instance, the 3-4 defensive tackle is often called a nose tackle or "0 techniqe" because on most downs he lines up directly in front of the center. Because of this, 0 techniques are usually tremendously fat and bulky in their lower bodies. This is because they almost always face a double team and get triple teamed more often than a 4-3 defensive tackle does. That means they have to cover one or two gaps in the line of scrimmage and keep from getting moved after being hit with 600, (sometimes 900) pounds of offensive linemen trying to move them out of the way. Similarly, 3-4 defensive ends are often as big as a 4-3 defensive tackle and they are called "5 techniques" because of where they typically line up opposite the offensive line. This means they line up across from the space which is in between the offensive tackle and the tight end. 4-3 defensive ends usually are more flexible in where they can lineup because there is a whole extra defensive tackle lined up between a guard and tackle.

Sorry if that's a little incoherent. You can go on and on for pages about the nuances and differing wrinkles between the 34 and 43 base schemes. And then there are the nickle, dime, etc. packages that are also standard to all teams and they typically differ depending on your base set. But as far as personnel go, a 4-3 just means one more lineman and one less linebacker.

Just to add to the D-lineman line up terminology .......

If a nose guard is head up on the center it's a zero technique. if he is lined up in the "A" gap (between the centre and guard) thats a 1 tech, head up on the guard a 2 tech, "B" gap (between guard and tackle) 3 tech, head up on the tackle 4 tech, "C" gap (between tackle and TE) 5 tech, head up on the TE 6 tech, outside shoulder of TE 7 tech.

In the 4-3 you will also hear about a DT being a one gap or 2 gap DT. Typically if a DT is asked to play one gap he is responsible for a single gap (as the name implies) and will normally line up in a 3 technique. He will also normally be looking to penetrate through his gap and disrupt the play in the backfield or pressure the QB.

If a DT is playing 2 gap, again as the name implies he is responsible for 2 gaps and will normally line up in a 2 technique. In 2 gap the DT will not be as aggressive in penetrating but will read the play before making a move to react.

steve,

The Giants don't employ the same scheme that we do. Their scheme is built on their personnel when it comes to who has which responsbility. Ours isn't the same scheme. In our current scheme, Orakpo at LE wouldn't be a great fit. But with some tweaks, it would work just fine.

I've got other questions about the defensive line I'm hoping someone can answer: how often do we have a defender play two gap? Would it be better to utilize Haynesworth in a two gap role? Or is it best to keep him in one gap coverage and give him the freedom to destroy that gap as he pleases?

I could be dead wrong, but my line of thinking was that Haynesworth is the only lineman we have that's powerful enough to play two gap coverage at an elite level. But then again, he's extremely valuable to us as a pocket collapser/pass rusher because he's also so explosive like a 3 technique.

The reason I'd like us to be able to use a two gap scheme is because of the pass rushing threats we have in Orakpo/Carter/Wilson, especially from the linebacker position. If we had a great two gap play in a 4-3 front it would give us a free man in the front 7 to use however we like even in running situations and still cover all of our gaps. We wouldn't have to make the same formation changes in the front 7 like moving orakpo to end or lb when the situation is open to run or pass. It would just give us greater flexibility. Perhaps this would be the key to using the strong side end as a pure pass rusher on all three downs and not worry about it compromising your ability to stop the run. And we could do all of this without having to completely switch to a 3-4 front.

If Haynesworth isn't best utilized in a two gap role, and no one else on the roster can play that scheme, I think it's to our best advantage to draft a defensive tackle that 3-4 teams would use as a 0 technique. For this end, I've got my eye on Terrence Cody from Alabama. Drafting him would allow us to use Albert Haynesworth however we wanted. Imagine what a powerful weapon he'd be then! It's a somewhat quiet move that would pay enormous dividends on the field, much more so than drafting a dime a dozen SLB IMO. If I'm right, then it would give us elite players at 3 different positions by adding one guy: 1 tech, 3 tech and LE.

Archived