Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Benefit of Sherm Williams Playcalling

hitmandm

It is not right to say that SW didnt have an impact tonite--as Zorn alluded to in his presser. Here are some of the points.

#1. Points. The Eagles arent the Rams, the Chiefs, the Lions. The Iggles, although I hate them are a 4-2 team. We scored 17 against them. We scored 13 points total against the Rams and the Chiefs. Yes 13 points in 2 games TOTAL. 17 points in 1 game against a far better opponent looks like a step up to me. Add in the Fact that we dont have Samuels on the OL, then it is even more impressive.

#2. The Redshirts. I personally got sick of Zorn and the coaches blasting DT, MK, Rhinehart and Davis for being lazy, dumb...blah blah blah. Why dont you just kill our rookies? 3-2nd round picks and a third rounder and you expect me to believe theyre ALL busts- they all cant play? Isnt it amazing that once you get rid of Zorn's inability to develop young talent and his dumb playcalling, DT and Davis score 2 tds on 11 catches and 123 yds.

Our picks arent busts, our coaching staff's inability to utilize and devlop these guys are.

LOL @ Sherman Williams.

Yeah, Thomas and Davis somehow start doing something with Lewis calling plays though.

Of course Davis was only starting because of Cooley being out but still, it was a difference. Too bad JC didn't get benched in the 1st like he should have.

The game was over early in the second quarter. Not a hallmark of good playcalling.

Scoring 17 points against the Eagles, especially in a game that was never in doubt, is not particularly mind boggling: Carolina 10, NO 38, KC14, TB 14, Oakland 13. Hardly a great offensive effort, unless you think scoring 3-4 more points than KC, TB and Oakland is a major achievement.

Watching Desean Jackson was enough to remind me what a monumental bust the 2008 draft was. DT did a good job getting open for his TD; he had at least two other passes ricochet off his hands like they were made of cement. I thought Davis played pretty well in relief, but if you can't dump off passes to you TE when your down by 17, you've really got problems. Kelly - was he in the game? I thought I heard his name called, but 0 catches per usual. Kelly, Thomas and Davis have been in the league for nearly a year and a half, and not one of them has 200 career receiving yards yet. Thomas and Kelly are busts. Davis could be a good blocker and a fair receiver - since he's been playing behind Cooley, its not fair to judge him yet. But he has a lot to show for the rest of the year.

Too quick to call Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly a busts. Alot of people made the same assumption with Roddy White in Atlanta when Vick was the qb. Now we see with Matt Ryan at the helm White has shown he is a capable number one receiver. At the end of the day, I thought Campbell could be the answer but I must admit I was wrong. With that top five pick in the draft next year the Skins have to take a franchise qb. I know the oline is shot but the Skins have plenty of draft picks to address those issues especially with a solid gm and head coach to match the system

The game was over early in the second quarter. Not a hallmark of good playcalling.

Scoring 17 points against the Eagles, especially in a game that was never in doubt, is not particularly mind boggling: Carolina 10, NO 38, KC14, TB 14, Oakland 13. Hardly a great offensive effort, unless you think scoring 3-4 more points than KC, TB and Oakland is a major achievement.

Watching Desean Jackson was enough to remind me what a monumental bust the 2008 draft was. DT did a good job getting open for his TD; he had at least two other passes ricochet off his hands like they were made of cement. I thought Davis played pretty well in relief, but if you can't dump off passes to you TE when your down by 17, you've really got problems. Kelly - was he in the game? I thought I heard his name called, but 0 catches per usual. Kelly, Thomas and Davis have been in the league for nearly a year and a half, and not one of them has 200 career receiving yards yet. Thomas and Kelly are busts. Davis could be a good blocker and a fair receiver - since he's been playing behind Cooley, its not fair to judge him yet. But he has a lot to show for the rest of the year.

The game was over for reasons besides playcalling. Turnovers and missed defensive assignments led to 14 points and the game being over in the first half.

The scoring is a major achievement. We are 2-4 against the worst teams in the league and some of the worst to ever play the game. We scored single digits against the Rams,Chiefs. We scored 14 against a 0-19 Lions team that may be the second worst team ever. We scored 16 against a putrid TB team. 17 points against the Iggles is a step forward esp without our pro bowl LT. Not to see that is hard to believe.

The OL is in shambles, JC has no brain and Zorn is in way over his head. To write off our 2nd years is just silly.

Too quick to call Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly a busts. Alot of people made the same assumption with Roddy White in Atlanta when Vick was the qb. Now we see with Matt Ryan at the helm White has shown he is a capable number one receiver. At the end of the day, I thought Campbell could be the answer but I must admit I was wrong. With that top five pick in the draft next year the Skins have to take a franchise qb. I know the oline is shot but the Skins have plenty of draft picks to address those issues especially with a solid gm and head coach to match the system

yup.

In his first season, Roddy White had more TDs and yards than Kelly, Davis and Thomas have combined.

In his first season, Roddy White had more TDs and yards than Kelly, Davis and Thomas have combined.

Check your facts... You are inaccurate as of last night. You also forget that White didn't have Moss & Cooley in front of him. Finneran & Jenkins wouldn't have kept our players off the field and even Campbell would be forced to throw the ball somewhere else.

the playcalling was much much better. when was the last time we scored 2 redzone tds...lol sherm lewis was definately unpredictable, especially down in the redzone. better then 3 runs to the left and a fg haha. campbell however left at least 14 points on the field, one with moss and one with thomas, that could hav ebeen 14 pts right there, but he never sees the whole field. oline blew some @ss along with randle el. campbell has to protect ball better to

yeah put in todd collins he looked so good last week, he has a quick release and avoids....

oh i can't even say it with a straight face.

mcnabb missed the same pass as campbell with no pressure, but he has explosive playmakers that can score when they touch the ball so he doesn't have to make all the throws. we don't have anyone that we've seen that can do what desean does.

and as for williams, yes it does speak to your old playcaller when someone comes in for 2 weeks after 5 years away from the game and matches your season high in points when your top 2 offensive players (cooley and samuels) are out.

execution still isn't there, we still don't have a line, but sherm lewis made us look like redzone studs. if rabach didn't hit his own leg on the 4th down we could have been 3/3 on rz tds.

JC's turnovers played a huge role bro. The guy is not a good QB period.

Compared to the two long TD's they were minor. Besides two of them were on bad snaps and one was a deflected pass. THe only real big mistake was the strip while he was running, but I think he was still trying to throw the ball.

Check your facts... You are inaccurate as of last night. You also forget that White didn't have Moss & Cooley in front of him. Finneran & Jenkins wouldn't have kept our players off the field and even Campbell would be forced to throw the ball somewhere else.

So after 23 games the triplets have combined to pass Roddy White's supposedly poor first season by a few yards. Kudos to them - job well done!

As I said earlier, it wouldn't be fair to judge Davis because he's playing behind Cooley. But who did Kelly and Thomas need to beat out to get playing time - ARE and Thrash. The Skins use three receivers all of the time. While amassing an incredible 120 yards receiving last year, Thomas barely beat out 63 year old James Thrash. Kelly couldn't even come close. And its not like Moss is a legit #1 or ARE is a legit #2.

Its one thing to struggle your first year as a wide receiver. Its another thing to have 3 catches for 18 yards. In their second years, Kelly and Thomas are each averaging 1 catch for 10 yards per game.

Here's a list of second year receivers that have more yards than Kelly and Thomas combined:

Manningham 439

Jackson 423

Sims-Walker 398 (drafted 2007)

Avery 271

Morgan 264

Caldwell 257

Garcon 240

Burton 199

Bess 188

Clowney 151

Meachem 151

Royal 148

A bunch of those guys were drafted 6th round or were UDFAs. What do you need to do to be a bust?

But we still have a moron in Zorn. The fact that we did not kick the field goal down by 17 is inexcusable. He should be fired for that decision alone.

Yup. He should be fired for trying to get a TD to win the game when the team clearly sucks and we needed a major spark.

Absolutely...

:doh:

Of all the reasons to mention him getting fired, this is by far the worst I've read yet. This forum looks alot like this team... Everyone has completely given up. I think we stink, but man, why not go for it? The season is in the tank, we needed two TDs still anyways.

PS: Who is Sherman Williams? :laugh:

Not kicking the 51 yard field goal was probably the most confusing part of the game for me.

Suisham nails a 47 yard field goal "against the wind" (according to the announcers when Akers kicked in the same direction) and then he has the opportunity to try a 51 yard field goal "with the wind" and we decide to punt from the Eagles 34 instead. It seems attempting a field goal made much more sense (risk/reward) vs. punting.

Archived