Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Gibbs says he's not returning to Redskins

SkinsMaster88

Link: http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gLs79sLVXkUl4di0OeTsDN9nEzBwD9BI8UDO2

Gibbs says he's not returning to Redskins

By HANK KURZ Jr. (AP)

MARTINSVILLE, Va. — Hall of Fame former Washington Redskins coach Joe Gibbs said Sunday he has no plans to return to the struggling team.

Gibbs laughed when asked at Martinsville Speedway about rumors and Internet reports that he could return to the team as an adviser or even general manager.

"That's what it is. Talk," the owner of three NASCAR Sprint Cup Series teams said. "Right here's where I'm GMing."

Gibbs disagreed with the idea that the Redskins coaching job is one of the toughest in the NFL under owner Dan Snyder.

"When I was there last go-round, we had somebody that was a passionate owner, cared about things and supported me in every way," he said. "I think any NFL team, it's tough when you're not winning, and those things are easy to get off. All you've got to do is look around this year and Tennessee and some of the other teams are struggling that were real good last year."

The Titans were an NFL-best 13-3 last season, but are 0-6, including a 59-0 loss to New England last Sunday. The start has some Titans fans calling for a coaching change, even though Jeff Fisher came into the season as one of the league's most respected coaches.

"It's easy to get 'em off and I think it takes a while to get them straightened out," Gibbs said of NFL teams' fortunes. "Hopefully we get it going there (in Washington)."

Redskins fans, too, are calling for changes. Coach Jim Zorn was relieved of his play-calling duties after the team lost 14-6 last week to the winless Kansas City Chiefs. This week, general manager Vinny Cerrato said there are no plans to replace Zorn this year.

"I think it's pro sports. The fans are passionate and they want a winner, but I think that's part of pro sports," Gibbs said of fans' impatience.

The Redskins are 2-4 entering their Monday night game against Philadelphia, despite having set an NFL record by playing six teams all seeking their first victory.

just to be fair, those comments don't explicitly reveal he isn't coming back.
MARTINSVILLE, Va. — Hall of Fame former Washington Redskins coach Joe Gibbs said Sunday he has no plans to return to the struggling team.

Gibbs laughed when asked at Martinsville Speedway about rumors and Internet reports that he could return to the team as an adviser or even general manager.

"That's what it is. Talk," the owner of three NASCAR Sprint Cup Series teams said. "Right here's where I'm GMing."

The article states "no plans to return..." and Gibbs is quoted, "Right here's where I'm GMing."

Sounds rather explicit.

I found it interesting that he gave only good words about Snyder.

He's a great business man. No reason to talk poorly about someone that could help you down the line. Not many people you'll ever hear him publicly talk poorly about anyways.

I found it interesting that he gave only good words about Snyder.

He always has..I was debating this in another thread where some people were insisting that Gibbs secretly couldn't stand Snyder. Maybe, but he always seems to imply the opposite of that.

Snyder has critics and deservedly so but I always saw Gibbs as perhaps his staunchest defender.

good and bad news

The good: Gibbs does not need another go-round with $nyder

The bad: I don't trust $nyder and the Vintard to find our next great coach

I love this team, I scream get amped up buy merchandise and one of my favorite memories was getting to se my first Skins game live in 2006. I was surrounded by drunk Colts fans and cheering my ass off. My Ex-wife told my parents that she thought I was going to get jumped. As much as I love this team, that is how much pure hate I have the Front Office. Snyderrato needs to be broken up and little Napoleon needs to Stay the hell out of the team's business, hire a real GM, a Real Coach and just sign the checks.

Poor gibbs, he really tried to get the team back to glory. That coach has to be one of the best in all NFL history. He gave up a lot to try and help, and he almost did it.

The team will not get back to winning until sndyer grows up. ONE of these days it will happen, he'll get old and just snap out of it but its a huge cross for the fans. The media labels the giants, eagles and cowboys as having better fans then we do but lets see them go through this mess and still be here

I said before that he wouldn't come back because of his commitment to his NASCAR team. Any GM or advisor will require him to be here full time as a lot of changes need to be made which requires rebuilding this mess of a team and a part time consultant/GM isn't going to get it done.

Now the hard part of all of this is for Snyder to relinquish his death grip on this team and let a real GM rebuild. I just don't see Snyder doing this, for some ungodly reason he thinks he knows football and how to build a team and he keeps failing year after year.

This is the worst situation that I've ever seen this team in and I'm talking about the Redskins of the 60's. At least they always had a good offense and the owner and front office were never in a turmoil as Snyder and his minions are and have been for the last 10 years.

Joe Gibbs is committed to his religion and will not talk bad about anyone. I never expected him to say anything derogatory about Snyder but I still don't agree with his comments. The situation here is horrible and the coaches and players on the field are only a small problem. It all starts at the top and if Snyder doesn't change his ways, the Redskins will continue to be the circus that it is today.

Archived