Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fake Obama thesis story goes viral.

Baculus

One of my conservative friends on Facebook had posted something about a supposed Obama "thesis" which had questioned the value of the Constitution, but, in the end, he had to retract it. Why? Because it was fake. And not only was it fake, but several conservative pundits such as Rush Limbaugh fell for it, hook, line, and sinker. Of course, Limbaugh said that he doesn't care if the this was fake because he knows Obama "thinks it."

"Okay, let's get you up to speed on the incredibly true story about how a bunch of right-wingers got taken in by some satiric blog post on Barack Obama's college thesis, written ages ago, and frantically presented it as real."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/23/fake-obama-thesis-story-g_n_332255.html

When you want to believe something bad enough, it no longer matters whether or not it is true.

On a related note, 51 percent of Republicans now believe that Obama was not born in the United States. Fifty freaking one percent. They hate him so much that they have thrown rational thinking out the window.

http://www.angus-reid.com/polls/view/34338/obama_was_not_born_in_us_republicans_say/

When you want to believe something bad enough, it no longer matters whether or not it is true.

On a related note, 51 percent of Republicans now believe that Obama was not born in the United States. Fifty freaking one percent. They hate him so much that they have thrown rational thinking out the window.

http://www.angus-reid.com/polls/view/34338/obama_was_not_born_in_us_republicans_say/

Sad.

All reason is gone from some of these folks. As you said, they are apologetically willing to believe anything.

Well what do you expect from a party whose members have not one iota of rational thinking in their brains and are pretty much all racist bigots from south of the mason-dixon line?:evilg:

See Rush? I can do it too!

One of my conservative friends on Facebook had posted something about a supposed Obama "thesis" which had questioned the value of the Constitution, but, in the end, he had to retract it. Why? Because it was fake. And not only was it fake, but several conservative pundits such as Rush Limbaugh fell for it, hook, line, and sinker. Of course, Limbaugh said that he doesn't care if the this was fake because he knows Obama "thinks it."

"Okay, let's get you up to speed on the incredibly true story about how a bunch of right-wingers got taken in by some satiric blog post on Barack Obama's college thesis, written ages ago, and frantically presented it as real."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/23/fake-obama-thesis-story-g_n_332255.html

Sound a lot like the bunch of left wingers taken in by the national guard story. At least it wasn't run by a major network right before an election.

How many times does this have to happen before we just accept the fact that republican voter's are stupid enough to believe the lies their leaders are willing to feed them? Seriously EVERY election is filled with right wing "stories" that are completely untrue.

I'm sure someone will say that it works both ways and feel good about their "balance" but it's seems pretty obvious that this doesn't happen in equal measure. I think the reason is social conservatism is viewed as HORRIBLE to many moderates and all liberals. There is no need to lie, a social conservative speech is enough. When fighting Obama however the truth isn't enough to motivate the other side, so they call him a terrorist and an America hating communist. That should do it.

What a mea culpa! <snicker>

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_102309/content/01125107.guest.html

"BREAK TRANSCRIPT

"RUSH: I'm also told that the blog containing the passage on Obama's thesis is a satire blog. So it's one of these sites like ScrappleFace or The Onion or some such thing. So I shout from the mountaintops: "It was satire!" But we know he thinks it. Good comedy, to be comedy, must contain an element of truth, and we know how he feels about distribution of wealth. He's mad at the courts for not going far enough on it. So we stand by the fabricated quote because we know Obama thinks it anyway. That's how it works in the media today. "

He had no small part in making his last sentence true.

Sound a lot like the bunch of left wingers taken in by the national guard story. At least it wasn't run by a major network right before an election.

I admit that I beleived it.

I also abandoned that belief immediately once it was exposed as a hoax. It took about 3 days.

Fiftty-one percent of Republicans currently believe soemthing that is not only completley ridiculous, but has been proven false for over a year.

I admit that I beleived it.

I also abandoned that belief immediately once it was exposed as a hoax. It took about 3 days.

Fiftty-one percent of Republicans currently believe soemthing that is not only completley ridiculous, but has been proven false for over a year.

The main problem is not the crap the fringe is spewing. That's going to happen.

It's the fact the Republicans are universally accepting the crap and Republican leadership doesn't step up and do anything about it. They allow it to breathe.

Michael Steele is an enabler. You don't hear him say "hey, this is bogus, we don't deal with bogus".

Sad times.

You mean the one that got Rather fired and Bush off the hook. His records were still never recovered and there is still the fact that his unit was never going to see action (which was the point).

One was the result of a person trying to create lie for the purpose of being reported, incuding faking government documents. The other was a blog that didn't really fake any documents that wrote a story for the sake of satire.

They really aren't all that comparable.

One was the result of a person trying to create lie for the purpose of being reported, incuding faking government documents. The other was a blog that didn't really fake any documents that wrote a story for the sake of satire.

They really aren't all that comparable.

Well the National Guard story had nothing to do with the Dan Rather story. It was out long before any of that broke. Dan Rather thought he found proof because if you recall Bush's service records were, and are, missing. Dan didn't check his source and as such deserved to be fired.

Bush had his records as governor of Texas sealed. Where was your thirst for openness then?

What exactly would one find in his records as governor? :whoknows:

But Mr. Bush's Texas records were moved back to state custody after a ruling from the attorney general, and an archivist for the state said the Bush records were available for viewing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/02/national/02DEAN.html?ex=1071032400&en=d7cb1abeee025e16&ei=5062&partner=GOOGLE

I think the reason most people question Obama's stuff is because he came on the scene so fast, no one knows who he is. Add that to the fact that he acts so secretive, it makes people wonder if he's hiding something. I really dont care about the Ayers ****, but I would like to see his college transcript. Everyone made a stink about Bush's 2.7 GPA, but considering Obama didnt graduate with honors, his would have to be around the same thing.

The University of Illinois has refused to release records related to Sen. Barack Obama's service for a nonprofit educational project that put him in contact with activist William Ayers, a 1960s-era radical and now education professor.

http://www.swamppolitics.com/news/politics/blog/2008/08/barack_obama_records_sealed_at.html

What exactly would one find in his records as governor? :whoknows:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/02/national/02DEAN.html?ex=1071032400&en=d7cb1abeee025e16&ei=5062&partner=GOOGLE

I think the reason most people question Obama's stuff is because he came on the scene so fast, no one knows who he is. Add that to the fact that he acts so secretive, it makes people wonder if he's hiding something. I really dont care about the Ayers ****, but I would like to see his college transcript. Everyone made a stink about Bush's 2.7 GPA, but considering Obama didnt graduate with honors, his would have to be around the same thing.

http://www.swamppolitics.com/news/politics/blog/2008/08/barack_obama_records_sealed_at.html

Bush came off as an idiot (even if he's not), even most on the right will acknowledge that and the fact that Kerry's grades were on par with Bush's was never argued by the left though he comes across smoother.

Other than subpar grades, which we have all tacitly acknowledged is not a deal breaker what would you expect to find in his transcripts?

Bush came off as an idiot (even if he's not), even most on the right will acknowledge that and the fact that Kerry's grades were on par with Bush's was never argued by the left though he comes across smoother.

Other than subpar grades, which we have all tacitly acknowledged is not a deal breaker what would you expect to find in his transcripts?

I'm just curious to see what classes he took, etc. since I'm a college student. I find it interesting to see how I stack up against the POTUS. That's why I dont see the point in keeping it sealed if stupid Bush and Kerry had theirs released. He already said he snorted cocaine and smoked pot. What does it hurt?

Dan didn't check his source and as such deserved to be fired.

One:

Funny, that isn't what I read at the time.

Dan Rather presented his story, and his evidence, to two other sources, to check his story.

One of them refused to comment. The other had some disagreements with a few minor points, (and the story was changed to reflect them), but no problem whatsoever with the fake records.

Two:

Does the same statement apply to Rush Limbaugh?

What a mea culpa! <snicker>

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_102309/content/01125107.guest.html

"BREAK TRANSCRIPT

"RUSH: I'm also told that the blog containing the passage on Obama's thesis is a satire blog. So it's one of these sites like ScrappleFace or The Onion or some such thing. So I shout from the mountaintops: "It was satire!" But we know he thinks it. Good comedy, to be comedy, must contain an element of truth, and we know how he feels about distribution of wealth. He's mad at the courts for not going far enough on it. So we stand by the fabricated quote because we know Obama thinks it anyway. That's how it works in the media today. "

He had no small part in making his last sentence true.

Wait, doesn't Rush refer to a lot of the stuff on his show as satire? So what he's saying is that satire for one reveals the truth of another's true beliefs, but satire for Rush is just a joke...even while he spouts his racism and other ignorance for all the world to be infected by.

Nice double standard Limbaugh.

I have a solution!: You (and I) are all biased individuals and we will tend to more readily believe certain things that fit within our preconceived worldviews.

It's human nature.

That shouldn't stop you from fact checking to see if you're wrong, which is what's wrong today. The Right-wingnuts who ran with this as if it were true latched onto it as if it were gospel because it was what they wanted to hear, only to find out that they were dupped into revealing just how ravenous they really are for anything to dig up on the President that they would present this crap without making sure if it was even true. WTG gents.

The National Guard story was true at the heart of it -- that is the difference.

Also, if you noticed, heads rolled when the national guard story, as presented, wasn't 100% factual, Compare this to Limbaugh and all the other goons who repeat lies without any sort of integrity.

Oh, yeah, I noticed how you didn't even try to defend their lies. You resorted to the usual "but the left do it too!" reply.

"They were taken out of context!"

"The left does it too!"

EDITED: Took out some bit about the Bush records which were irrelevant to this debate.

Archived