Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What are some good lies that are OK to put on a resume?

WVUforREDSKINS

I'm not one for lying on my resume and never have, but now that I am in Sydney (which is more expensive that Manhattan) I need to do something to try and get that interview. Otherwise i will find myself out of this place pretty fast. This city is awesome, but it is soooo incredibly expensive.

Many people expand the truth in their resume and I am asking for advice on some good things to put down. I'm not gonna say I went to law school or anything like that, but what are some things that would help my resume stand out?

The catch is that I have to get a temp job and I am only here for a year and, for some reason, only permitted to work for the same employer for up to a year. So im basically looking at temp/contract work. I sent my resume out to a few temp agencies on thursday. I hope I hear from at least one of them soon.

I suppose I should post my resume. This is revised to fit Aussie format. They don't care as much about education as experience.

Job Experience

Romano’s Macaroni Grill, Alexandria, VA (2009)

Server:

Served food and beverages and up sold wine

Cleared, cleaned and reset tables

Provided excellent customer service in large popular restaurant

Handled cash and credit transactions

The Center for Responsive Politics, Washington DC (2009)

Researcher:

6 month internship for nonprofit nonpartisan organization dedicated to tracking political contributions and their effect on elections and public policy

Researched Political Action Committees

Entered and maintained contribution data

The International Union of Operating Engineers, Washington, DC (2008)Office Assistant responsible for data entry:

Responsible for updating the database system and keeping records of membership dues

Learned a new computer program (Telnet) for tracking membership information

Acted as liaison to local unions on dues-related questions

Giant Foods, Burke, VA (2007)

Cashier:

Responsible for cash and credit transactions

Provided efficient and friendly service to customers

Congressman José Serrano (NY), Washington DC (2006)

Intern:

Reviewed and summarized appropriations requests

Answered phonesand dealt with constituents on a daily basis

Attended appropriations hearings to take notes and report back to the Congressman’s Chief of Staff

organised and transferred congressional speeches and interviews from video to DVD

NV Pools, Springfield and Burke, VA (1999-2002):

Lifeguard:

Responsible for safety of club members and guests

Sold refreshments and handled cash transactions

Taught swim classes to six and seven-year-old children

Volunteer Work

Appalachian Prison Book Project, Morgantown, WV (2007):

Volunteered for a nonprofit organization

Handled correspondence from people incarcerated in state prisons requesting books

Responsible for acquiring books and sending them to inmates

Education

West Virginia University, Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science with a minor in Communications, and Sociology. August 2007. (THIS ISN'T TRUE I DON'T HAVE A MINOR so that's one little lie, i did take several classes in both subjects)

Computer Skills

Extended experience in Word, Excel, Power Point, Microsoft Access, Internet Quorum, The Gimp, Photoshop, and Telnet. Willing and able to learn new programs.

Additional Information

Member, Sigma Chi Fraternity. Interests include the Middle East, international relations, reading, chess, poker, snowboarding, water/snow skiing.

Congressman José Serrano (NY), Washington DC (2006)

Intern:

Reviewed and summarized appropriations requests

Answered phonesand dealt with constituents on a daily basis

Attended appropriations hearings to take notes and report back to the Congressman’s Chief of Staff

organised and transferred congressional speeches and interviews from video to DVD

Why did you review and summarize appropriations request?

You never deal with constituents, you assist them. And you don't answer phones, you respond to inquiries and resolve issues.

Don't start a line with attended, it's not a very good action verb and it honestly doesn't have much impact.

And maybe you compiled congressional speech videos and transferred them to dvd.

NV Pools, Springfield and Burke, VA (1999-2002):

Lifeguard:

Responsible for safety of club members and guests

Sold refreshments and handled cash transactions

Taught swim classes to six and seven-year-old children

I would put the taught swim classes first, and would say how many kids were in each class. If you taught classes of 5-10 kids, thats a lot to handle.

You weren't responsible for guest safety - I'm hoping you ensured their safety ;)

And you sold refreshments, but maybe you actually managed the refreshments stand?

Just a start, but I think the little things make a difference. Don't just say what you did, say why you did it and how you did it.

Cool, thanks.

And yes, I have several letters of recommendation one from the Congressman and the other from the Center for Responsive Politics. But im not gonna be doing anything in Politics while im hear, but it is a glowing letter of recommendation.

By the way, went jetboating friday....had no idea how wet you get. I was soaked, but it was fun.

I would put the taught swim classes first, and would say how many kids were in each class. If you taught classes of 5-10 kids, thats a lot to handle.

You weren't responsible for guest safety - I'm hoping you ensured their safety ;)

And you sold refreshments, but maybe you actually managed the refreshments stand?

Just a start, but I think the little things make a difference. Don't just say what you did, say why you did it and how you did it.

Ya but if anyone drowd under your watch I definately wouldnt put that.

• 3 months later...

I am approaching 6 months of unemployment, I think I am going to start lying on my resume. And I mean like making up previous employment. I don't even care....anything to get an interview. If they find out I was lying then fine. Obviously my resume is not impressive enough because I have applied to probably 50 jobs the past 6 months with zero responses.

Desperate times require desperate measures.

I am approaching 6 months of unemployment, I think I am going to start lying on my resume. And I mean like making up previous employment. I don't even care....anything to get an interview. If they find out I was lying then fine. Obviously my resume is not impressive enough because I have applied to probably 50 jobs the past 6 months with zero responses.

Wow that couldn't be farther than from what you should do. Only 50 jobs? When I graduated I sent out at least 10 resumes a day to different companies. Get the book what color is your parachute. Don't lie, work harder to get that job.

As to the OP. I also second don't lie. Just keep beating on doors to get your resume out there. I would definitely get rid of the interests section. I don't know any employeer that would care that you like poker. It has a negative connotation.

Walk in and get the job.

Don't mail resumes, like the other 99 people in that large pile on someone's desk.

Stand out, show them you are serious, walk in, deliver the resume to the decision maker and ask for the job.

My little company that no-one will have heard of is hiring for several entry level positions and for each one got over 200 applicants. In that kind of market it's hard to stand out.

If you haven't already, I would try to work your network of former colleagues, family, friends etc for an in and to help you stand out. Do what you can get face time with the employers.

And tailor your resume and cover letter to respond to the position you are applying for.

My little company that no-one will have heard of is hiring for several entry level positions and for each one got over 200 applicants. In that kind of market it's hard to stand out.

If you haven't already, I would try to work your network of former colleagues, family, friends etc for an in and to help you stand out. Do what you can get face time with the employers.

And tailor your resume and cover letter to respond to the position you are applying for.

For sure, thanks. I have been talking to friends of my father in informal interviews, one a bigtime CEO for Sempra Energy. Hopefully that might result in something. At the least I get some good advice. And yeah I definitley alter my cover letter depending on where I apply. In every meeting the issue of going back to school for a master's degree has come up. That might be an inevitable task if I want to get a good job.

Good advice on going straight to the company, McD5. I am doing that tomorrow.

hockey, 50 was just an estimate, it is probably more. I have lost count.

Walk in and get the job.

Don't mail resumes, like the other 99 people in that large pile on someone's desk.

Stand out, show them you are serious, walk in, deliver the resume to the decision maker and ask for the job.

We have a winner. Directly marketing yourself and your skills to companies will get you hired. Submitting resumes and hiding in the internet will not.

Is it awkward and uncomfortable to just walk into an employer? Certainly. Is it effective? YES.

Submit a resume (AND COVER LETTER!) in person and try and talk to a hiring manager or person in HR. If you can't talk to them at that time, ask when you should come back or follow up over the phone. If you do talk to them face to face or in depth over the phone, send a quick thank you note for getting some of their time.

I went directly out of town just after my second interview at my current employer, so my thank you note was actually a postcard from my trip. It set me apart from the other finalist.:D

(I help people find employment for a living, btw. You'd be amazed how much basic social skills and a little determination will get you)

Archived