Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why Doesn't Zorn Tell Snyder He's Not Going To Use Sherm Lewis?

kingdaddy

Sorry if someone has brought this up but I didn't see it anywhere.

I know Zorn is a nice guy and says he's willing to find out if "he's the problem" but at what point does he stand up for himself?

Any respectable head coach or coaching staff, with any guts or self pride, would tell the owner they'd rather go down on their own then have to listen to some outsider who's been out of football several years. Why wouldn't Zorn just say "sorry Sherm, you have no place on this staff and we're not using you. You're free to leave or sit in and watch us but you're not calling plays. Tell Mr. Snyder to find something else for you to do."

Seriously, does anyone think Bill Belicheck, Bill Parcells, Rex Ryan, Andy Reid, or Tom Coughlin would let an owner do this to them?

Granted, Zorn isn't on par with any of these coaches but he's gotta have some self pride and stand up to Snyder. If they don't like it, he can say "then fire me." Either way he'd come out with his dignity.

What about Sherman Smith? Why doesn't he come out of his hole and speak up about this offensive mess?

Hell, why don't they try letting Campbell and Collins call their own plays?

Anything besides using an outsider who is out of touch with this team.

Whatever happened to Snyder saying each coordinator that he hired will be responsible directly to him regarding their part of the team?

Pretty much my views on the whole shambles the past few weeks kd as regards the HC.

I appreciate the argument of him sticking out for the money, but if he's so weak willed to continue to let them publicly humiliate him like this, personally, I'd of walked and not given them the satisfaction when they first brought in Lewis to show me how to do my job, having first forced me to go begging cap in hand to the owner for help I didn't feel I needed.

Carrato removing my play calling duties would of been the last straw.

I'm a HC. You let me stand and fall by how I coach, or not at all.

The guys been humiliated and turned into a laughing stock by recent events.

And this is the kind of weak willed character we charge with leading 53 men. :doh:

Hail.

Look at what Zorn did to get hired. He accepted all of the current staff, said he wouldn't meddle with the defense, would have little to no say in the draft, and NOW you expect him to stand up to DS's nonsense?

Dear lordie, to use a mixed metaphor, lackys don't change their spots overnight.

Look at what Zorn did to get hired. He accepted all of the current staff, said he wouldn't meddle with the defense, would have little to no say in the draft, and NOW you expect him to stand up to DS's nonsense?

Dear lordie, to use a mixed metaphor, lackys don't change their spots overnight.

Pretty much.

It's been a complete sham from the get-go.

Hail.

He is probably keeping his mouth shut knowing the writing is on the wall and not wanting to give Snyder and his lawyers and just cause to claim Zorn effectively resigned or broke the terms of his employment contract. If Zorn rocks the boat or refuses to accept any 'suggestions" Snyder could claim he contributed to his dismissal and is thus not due the circa $5M buyout he will get if he gets fired. Bit like Al Davis did with Lane Kiffin.

Its a case of who blinks first.

Meanwhile the whole organisation goes down the toilet in confusion and lack of direction.

He is probably keeping his mouth shut knowing the writing is on the wall and not wanting to give Snyder and his lawyers and just cause to claim Zorn effectively resigned or broke the terms of his employment contract. If Zorn rocks the boat or refuses to accept any 'suggestions" Snyder could claim he contributed to his dismissal and is thus not due the circa $5M buyout he will get if he gets fired. Bit like Al Davis did with Lane Kiffin.

Its a case of who blinks first.

Meanwhile the whole organisation goes down the toilet in confusion and lack of direction.

I agree with this view. I think it is all about Zorn getting his $5 million, and I don't blame him at all.

I think it was something like, "either your signature or your brains will be on that contract" type of deal...

I doubt zorn really had a real decision in this matter... I did hear an interesting point brought up by pat kirwan who wondered what zorn's contract stated, as most coaches/coordinators have a clause in there guaranteeing them playcalling duties or, if it's taken away from them, they can quit and still get paid... I guess zorn didn't have such a clause...

One point of contention. He should tell that to Cerrato, not Snyder. That might be a significant distinction in the near future. Snyder is giving every indication that this is Cerrato's show, and that - for better or worse - he's calling the shots.

Zorn was hired as HC. If he told SS that is help in calling plays was not needed, he could not be fired for cause (insubordination) because it's his job to make game day decisions.

I've lost respect for both Zorn and Smith. Smith should have said no when approached.

Zorn was hired as the Offensive Coordinator and then tumbled into being the Head Coach...

Sorry if someone has brought this up but I didn't see it anywhere.

I know Zorn is a nice guy and says he's willing to find out if "he's the problem" but at what point does he stand up for himself?

Any respectable head coach or coaching staff, with any guts or self pride, would tell the owner they'd rather go down on their own then have to listen to some outsider who's been out of football several years. Why wouldn't Zorn just say "sorry Sherm, you have no place on this staff and we're not using you. You're free to leave or sit in and watch us but you're not calling plays. Tell Mr. Snyder to find something else for you to do."

Because the Dan still owns the team and Zorn is his employee.

If Zorn doesn't comply with a directive from ownership he could be fired for 'cause' and wouldn't get paid for the rest of the contract.

There is money on the table here and if Zorn wants to see the rest of the money from the contract he has to play ball and wait for Dan to fire him.

Hell, why don't they try letting Campbell and Collins call their own plays?

Anything besides using an outsider who is out of touch with this team.

I wish they would give them more freedom.

JC usually does well when he has to call his own play.

I wonder how much involvement JC has in the gameplanning meetings?

JC, Zorn and Sherman Lewis should sit down and look at the plays and form a consensus and Lewis can call plays from that list.

Whatever happened to Snyder saying each coordinator that he hired will be responsible directly to him regarding their part of the team?

Huh?

I wonder if Zorn is worried that if he doesn't do as he's told that he'll get fired "for cause" and his paychecks will stop coming.......

You nailed it. You don't think he saw the Soap Opera in Oakland with Kiffin & Davis? I wouldn't be surprised if somehow (IMO) Zorn has talked to Kiffin about what he went through in Oakland is trying to avoid those mistakes.

Easy. He still believes in his system and thinks the reason the team is failing is because of execution. He's willing to let Lewis call the plays for this game so that when the team still struggles without him, he can say "see it wasn't me or my system, it was the players". That way he has a better chance of another team giving him a chance.

That's probably why he's choosing to go with Campbell too. So everyone can see how the same offense looks with different play calls. If he plays Collins and they look great, he looks bad for his playcalling AND for not putting Collins in sooner. He's in total self preservation mode at this point and is trying to show everyone in America what that he isn't the REAL problem on the team.

Archived