Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll. Snyder is a good owner Yes/No

dockeryfan

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I don't agree with this sentiment. I believe that Dan's priorities with the Redskins are -

1) Make more money then anyone in the NFL

2) Make more money then Jerry Jones

3) Win games

What owner doesn't want to make money? The NFL is a business, so there would be no point in owning a franchise if you are not gaining a significant profit.

I wouldn't put that above winning, though. If he cared only about money, he would sit on his pile of cash and not return it to the personnel needed to win.

Like I said, hire a legitimate GM, and Dan will completely clean his reputation as a "bad owner". He needs someone with great football knowledge, so he isn't just paying a bunch of players past their primes and ignoring the trenches.

The money he spends makes him a good owner. The way he spends it makes him a bad owner. His money won't change, but his ways will. Therefore, I vote good owner.

I think this is why I made the poll.

Spending money does not make him a good owner. He's spending money for a return on his investment. When he gets a high ticket player in a skill position (Randel-el, Santana Moss, even Brandon Lloyd), or as the most sought after FA (like Haynesworth or Andre Carter) he's getting a return on that investment. He's getting people excited about the "new thing". He'll do the same thing with the coach this year.

But by using this model, he will never succeed in sports. He may make money, but he won't have on the field success.

You don't bring in consultants in sports. It doesn't work. You don't have a President of football operations in Cerrato and hamstring him with your own ideas. Or the coaches ideas. Or some consultants ideas.

I think some think that because he spends money, he's doing a good job. A few high priced players at the expense of grooming talent is not the way to build a team, and it simply cannot work. You have to have both. He will continue to meddle, and the team will continue to lose. He needs to let football people make football decisions, but he's convinced himself that he can know and learn as much as people that have been playing or have been involved in football their entire lives.

He can never know as much as those people. No matter what he thinks or believes.

Dan will never be considered a "good owner" until he hires a REAL GM, gets out of his way, and just signs the checks and sits in his box and counts his money.

FIRE VINNY!!!!!!!!!!

+1

Hey Suze haven't seen you in a while. Ready to have fun once again when the new coaching search starts up again?

What owner doesn't want to make money? The NFL is a business, so there would be no point in owning a franchise if you are not gaining a significant profit.

I wouldn't put that above winning, though. If he cared only about money, he would sit on his pile of cash and not return it to the personnel needed to win.

Like I said, hire a legitimate GM, and Dan will completely clean his reputation as a "bad owner". He needs someone with great football knowledge, so he isn't just paying a bunch of players past their primes and ignoring the trenches.

What is the one accolade that has been tied to the Redskins since he bought team?

Best O line?

Best Defense?

Scoring offense

Superbowls?

Wins?

QB development?

the Fan experience?

Scouting?

Drafting?

None of the above. We are known for one thing, the most profitable franchise in the NFL. We haven't won anything yet we are the most profitable? That is pretty amazing. If I were to guess were the organizational importance lies, it is definitely the bottom line and NOT WINS.

I saw, and continue to see, some posters still thinking that Snyder is a good owner. So let's see it in numbers.

Simple question.

Well, there will always be some that absolutely lock themselves into whatever they support and won't adjust for reality. Amazingly, there still are people on this board who think Turner is a good coach.

I voted no simply because Snyder hasn't looked at the way say the Rooney family has run the Steelers and tried to use that as the benchmark.

Snyder is willing to give the football operations all the financial support needed to put together a winning product.

But, his insistence on having Vinny Cerrato run the Football Ops and his all too hands on approach has led to horrible results on the field.

The only way I see Snyder becoming a good owner is if he realizes the error of his ways, hires a top notch person to replace VC, and he lets that person run the show with Snyder merely rubber stamping major decisions.

Unfortunately, I don't know if Danny Boy's ego will allow that to happen.

He is a bad owner. The ONLY thing he is good at is signing checks. It isn't his personnel decisions (coaches or players) making him a bad owner (just not a very good one), it is HIM. His persona. His character. People addressing him as "Mr. Snyder." Him not shaking the hands of players after they lose. If you hate your boss, you can't be as good of an employee as you can be. Playing at 90% in the NFL against guys going 99% means you will lose.

Think about this: When Wellington Mara (the owner of the Giants) died, the Giants came out and in his honor DESTROYED the Redskins....a brutal game. Like 36-0, I think. Do our players feel that way about Snyder? Would they react that way? Would they have tears in their eyes?

Snyder is a douche. As a player, you have a team that is run by someone you don't like or respect....so, even though you are a professional and have pride, a part of you can become that guy who just wants to cash his check and go home. That's why our players are better players for other franchises.

Snyder doesn't hand out the big contracts because he's a swell guy. He does it to buy hype, which in turn drives revenue.

In other words, he spends money to make money.

And he also spends money for the glamour of it. So he can hang out with the likes of Bruce Smith, Deion Sanders, Lavar (before the breakup), Portis, Tom Cruise, etc.

Of course he would also like to win, but that doesn't seem to be quite as high on the priority list.

But people who think the big splash contracts aren't directly about putting more money in his own pocket -- and driving his own ego -- are seriously naive.

should be a public poll. i want to see who the donks are that voted yes
AdmiralWaugh, Aireskoi, airs0ft3r, BD, CincyRed, Fletch_Lives59, HigSkin, Hitnskins, hobbie8046, Jofizz, RedskinWarship, ThePreciating, Tom10Y all voted that Snyder is a good owner.

Using only winning percentages doesn't reflect correctly. For example thru 2008, Al Davis has a .569 percentage while the Rooney's were .502. I don't think anyone would say Davis is a better owner than the Steelers family.
No offense meant but since you think Snyder is a good owner I don't respect your opinion.

I backed why I voted yes, how about the close to 200 people that voted no back their answers?

Ok, he has a massive ego problem. One that is so big that is directly interferes with our interest as fans (which is wins).

Two, his expertise is purely in marketing. So he's really good at selling hype. And that's all he's good at. Period. That does not translate to wins. Hype is all about making enough news in March and April to fuel another banner revenue year.

Three, he treats people like dirt. Which is why it is so hard to get smart, qualified people to work for him for long. The only people who could survive at Snyder Communications are the same people who survive with the Redskins: unqualified sycophants like Vinny. And that directly interferes with winning.

Four, squeezing every last dollar out of the stadium has priced out the average fan which has killed our home field advantage that used to be a hallmark of this franchise.

I could go on.

I voted no. But that could change shortly. I don't doubt his desire to win, I only doubt his ability to get the right people in place to be consistently successful.

With all the fans finally expressing their outrage, we could see Snyder finally admit he was wrong for the past 10 years.

There is nothing wrong with signing star players in the offseason, as long as they are in their prime (Haynesworth.....not Jason Taylor for example)

One great point and fact is Danny will spend the cash to get us a great team

What makes this statement true? Has he spent money in the past to get us this 'great' team you are referring to? B/C I have yet to see it.

Is there any proof that we outspend everyone in the league?

I backed why I voted yes, how about the close to 200 people that voted no back their answers?
'

Well I think those 200 plus have been backing their answers in multiple threads. Of course they have fairly easy road to tread in supporting their choice while those who think he's a good owner have an impossible task to justify their position.

Archived