Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll. Snyder is a good owner Yes/No

dockeryfan

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

How does this equate to being a good owner? This is completely baffling to me.

Deion? Bruce? Jason Taylor? Trotter? Adam A? B Lloyd? that is off the top of my head.

Outside of the fact that there is a salary cap in this league and you can't out Yankee's someone in the NFL these are all moves made to make a big marketing splash.

What is obvious to me is that we have no plan, no foundation and sense of where we are going.

All the man needs to do is suck it up and hire a GM that can tell him "no".

Vinny is an idiot ass-hat that will bring in whoever he or Snyder wants. Vinny could have told Dan that any of those players were not a good idea, but he chose to go along with them and hype it all up.

A GM doesn't have to be someone that you are best-friends with.

Deion? Bruce? Jason Taylor? Trotter? Adam A? B Lloyd? that is off the top of my head.

A good owner wants good players, yes I agree some were washed up or their days were over, but the point is he's willing to bring them here for whatever they want.

Jason Taylor. Are you telling me the man can't play? He was injured most of his time here anyways.

Archuleta was a beast, however he had what, back problems? Perhaps we should be looking at our medical staff who cleared him for us, they should have picked it up.

Lloyd isn't that bad of a WR, his problem is he's just a puss and doesn't want to get hit.

Deion and Bruce were in Snyders early days, we all know what those were like, nothing like they were now. Honestly though, they probably were still the best to get at the time even with them being old.

A good GM will help Snyder hardcore, the only problem with Snyder is he wont get rid of Vinny. Vinny is gone and some moves go on in the FO this team is back to running ****.

What is obvious to me is that we have no plan, no foundation and no sense of where we are going.

I have to disagree with this last part. Our defense has been solid for the last 4 or 5 years, maybe longer. But on the offensive side, its been pretty poor. Now the FO, in their effort to change how our offense was doing, brought in a new coach, one with very different ideas. Most everybody was Zorny, things were looking pretty good. Then the collapse came, mainly due to the FO not addressing the O-line. So although their plan was good, and succeeded to a point, it wasnt complete.

As of now their plan is not looking like its going to work, but if somewhere along the way, they had addressed the O-line, then just maybe we would be a much better team.

So as for the last part of this post, they do have a plan (although alittle misguided), and they do have a direction in where they would like to go, but its just not working out.

It seems that the vast majority of posts in threads I have read all have one thing in common, in that the chief problem with our team is the GM,

as so the fans think.

A good owner wants good players, yes I agree some were washed up or their days were over, but the point is he's willing to bring them here for whatever they want.

There lies the rub.....a good owner wants good players. I don't care what the owner wants. I care what a competent GM wants.

"Yes, he means well but he is doing it wrong." is my vote

I rather have an owner who is willing to spend big $$$ to win rather than the cheap Tampa owner.

Say all you want about cheap owners, but the NFL has proven that spending money doesn't work. Tampa actually won something with cheap owners. Hell, even the Cardinals didn't pay for some of the player's equipment for the past few years (I imagine this has changed since their SB appearance).

Spending big money is more of a curse than anything. You can win by being cheap--something not quite as easy to do in baseball or the NBA.

At this point in time, he is a complete failure

Are the Redskins better off then they were before he took over the team?

No, the Redskins are far worse

The Skins are the same as they were in the 7 years prior to Snyder just different reasons why. We stunk from the time Joe Gibbs left until Snyder came along to the tune of 36-59-1 (.380).

Pros

1. Snyder's desire to win is huge.

2. Snyder is willing to open his pocket book to win.

Cons

1. Snyder's insistence to be involved in the day to day operations of the team creates a work environment where the head coach will fail.

2. Snyder's insistence to use the Jerrah-Al Davis model is destined to fail.

If Snyder would stop running the Redskins like a normal business he might have a chance at suggest. But I think he is too obsessed with doing what Jerrah lucked into to step away and let it happen.

There lies the rub.....a good owner wants good players. I don't care what the owner wants. I care what a competent GM wants.

I understand what you are saying, what I'm saying is, the man will take good players and give them money. Look at Haynesworth. Everyone was making a big deal over the $$$, but he's been putting up the entire time.

Just think about it, Snyder with a good FO, our team would almost be impossible to beat. If Snyder would just fire Vinny; that's the only thing I have a problem with Snyder on, otherwise I wouldn't want any other owner.

I voted Yes:

When he finally fires Vinny and hires a real coach/GM you all will like this owner. Most owners wont spend money like he does to improve the team. The fact is only a few franchises have good GMs and are good each and every year.

You all crack me up. The past 10 years we've had mediocre teams. So have 90% of the league. A handful of franchise have built a solid competitive team that pushes for the SB each year (Pitt,NE, NYG, Indy). The rest are fluke-hot streak teams that disappear after that(Rams,Tampa,Chicago,Tenn,Carolina,Seattle,Ariz). All made runs and some of them won a SB but where r they now??

This is a win now league, so when you see teams like Miami and Atl turn things around in one season you have to tip your hat to good coaching and scouting. Then you have to look at the Lions, Chiefs, Rams, Browns, Titans, Bucs, Skinz etc.... For every feel good success story there are 10 failures.

When Dan wakes up and hires a real GM with talented scouting we will turn this team around QUICK like Atlanta did. IMO were a few decent players from a paloff team. This offseason "Capfree" has two stud OL!! Draft a QB!!

Say all you want about cheap owners, but the NFL has proven that spending money doesn't work. Tampa actually won something with cheap owners. Hell, even the Cardinals didn't pay for some of the player's equipment for the past few years (I imagine this has changed since their SB appearance).

Spending big money is more of a curse than anything. You can win by being cheap--something not quite as easy to do in baseball or the NBA.

You may not have to spend huge amounts of money but you can't be cheap and expect consistently good results. Your example of the Cardinals isn't a very good one. They haven't won 10 games in 33 years. If they had played in any other division last year they don't even make the playoffs. They were 3-7 outside their division. And by the way, both the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Arizona Cardinals were in the top 10 in payroll last season. In the end, it's not the money but the organization that matters. Right now nobody is afraid of the coach because they can just walk into Danny's office and air any grievance they might have. No one is going to win under those circumstances.

If and I mean IF he hires a real GM and lets him run things he could possibly be a great owner.. I don't love him trust me but he will go out and spend money which is something a lot of owners won't do. He just needs a Parcells type as GM.

Oh, I agree that IF Snyder does the right thing and brings in competent football people then he can be a good owner. But the question is will he be willing to spend the money when the GM wants to spend that money on less flashy players who may not create as much hype or sell as many jerseys?

What happens when the GM wants to re-sign someone like a Ryan Clark when there is a bigger name available in the market? That's when the true test of Snyder's checkbook will be. Is he willing to spend money when there is no immediate hype payoff?

But this poll isn't "Can Snyder be a good owner?". It's "Is Snyder a good owner". There's a big difference. I can see how people would say Snyder could be a good owner if he changes. But to say he is now? Come on.

^^ the problem is your a Billionaire and you just bought your home team. Now you try to hire people and build a successful program. the first coach failed so you try again with a more proven coach that you dont get along with. That doesnt work and now your labeled.

What do you do? You bring in a proven HOF Coach. Maybe a few years beyond his glory years but is that your fault? Everyone thought J.Gibbs=SB!

His latest and greatest mistake is Vinny. He has no talent.

What should he do now? Hire Bill? Shan? Holmg? Regardless what he decides if it doesnt work he will be the scapegoat. If it does work then we'll cry about something else... Maybe JC, Carlos, Portis, Heyer, etc..........Flame on... Danny is here to stay. If you want to give up on the team go ahead. I wont. HTTR!

You need to add a couple of "yes" selections to make this fair:

"yes, but he has made mistakes and needs to learn from those mistakes"

or

"yes, he wants to win but he could do a lot better"

or

"yes, he means well but is doing it all wrong"

Nah it's totally fair. It's a simple yes/no question. If you feel he fits any of those yes categories, then you would simply vote yes.

Until he fires Cerrato and gets a GM who will run the team while Snyder just signs the checks, my answer will always be a no.

He is just flat bad as it relates to building and maintaining a good team. And really that's what fans want, a good team.

Little Danny is great at developing profit and finding new and exotic ways in getting money. Hell, in the NFL I am not sure there is anyone better. But it all goes into building himself. His ego and pride.

The product of the organization should be on the field, but like many American businesses the quality of the product is of at best, second concern to making short term profit.

Look, the ways in which one builds a successful team are well established. Maybe building a powerhouse like the Steelers, Pats, and Giants include some mystery before the fact, but building a solid team which can compete on a consistent basis is hardly a trade secret. $nyder's unwillingness to even apparently consider moving in a productive direction, and away from his own aggrandizement makes him a Bad Owner.

Archived