Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Car Accident

JasonCampbell177

Just thought I should share this, I am still kind of in shock. Tonight while I was driving home from a friends I was going down a back road, and it was pretty wet and rainy but I was still going right around the speed limit (50) and I guess I slightly veered to the right and quickly tried to overcorrect myself and by that time it was too late my tires had caught some mud and I began to lose control and went all the way to the left of the road into a tree and ended up on my side. Thank god i was not injured, the airbags deployed and I was wearing my seatbelt just a very scary situation. I managed to roll down my passenger side window and crawled out. cops came and everything but I was fine, told them what happened and got let off with a warning, still seems so surreal. Hopefully the damages aren't too bad, have to replace the front bumper, windshield, and replace airbags for sure but i dont know what else. I'm very lucky to be where I am right now

Glad that you made it. You need to slow down when risk factors are present (driving at night, two lane road, raining, poor visibility, poor road conditions...). Likely your first year driving. Each one of those factors increase risk exponentially, and must be managed. You know that auto accidents are the #1 cause of death for young people and you almost joined that statistic. I was in a couple hairy ones with someone else at the wheel, at your age. Hit a telephone pole and a stone wall at 90 mph in a suicide door lincoln. Luckily I was in the back seat and was unharmed even though I wasn't wearing a seat belt. All 3 in the front went to hospital. I remember seeing the crash over and over in my head for days.

Had somethin similar happen to me about 7 years ago.

I'd be shocked if they don't just total your car - I've been told when the airbags deploy thats a ton of money right there but I guess it depends on the overall value of your car otherwise.

Glad to hear you are alright - I didn't end up on my side but ended up in a ditch and a few feet from going headfirst into a tree.

Learn from the experience is about all the advice I can give.

I have no sympathy for drivers who don't slow down in treacherous road conditions. However, at 16yo, you obviously don't know any different. Let me guess, you are a good driver?

You say you ended up on your side, after hitting a tree, but all that needs to repaired is a bumper, new windshield, and airbags. Yeah, right! All the suspension would have taken a hit, the front chassis rails would most likely be out of alignment, the body would have twisted so nothing lines up any more .................. on and on it goes.

You say you ended up on your side, after hitting a tree, but all that needs to repaired is a bumper, new windshield, and airbags. Yeah, right! All the suspension would have taken a hit, the front chassis rails would most likely be out of alignment, the body would have twisted so nothing lines up any more .................. on and on it goes.

Maybe he has pics.

Just thought I should share this, I am still kind of in shock. Tonight while I was driving home from a friends I was going down a back road, and it was pretty wet and rainy but I was still going right around the speed limit (50) and I guess I slightly veered to the right and quickly tried to overcorrect myself and by that time it was too late my tires had caught some mud and I began to lose control and went all the way to the left of the road into a tree and ended up on my side. Thank god i was not injured, the airbags deployed and I was wearing my seatbelt just a very scary situation. I managed to roll down my passenger side window and crawled out. cops came and everything but I was fine, told them what happened and got let off with a warning, still seems so surreal. Hopefully the damages aren't too bad, have to replace the front bumper, windshield, and replace airbags for sure but i dont know what else. I'm very lucky to be where I am right now

Good that you're ok. You gotta slow down when it's wet, that's like the first thing you learn in school.

I suggest you go to the hospital even if you feel fine. My GF was in an accident about 6 months ago. It was not her fault, she was hit sitting at a red light from behind. I rushed to the scene of the accident when I got a call from the police. When I got there she was crying and in shock, but otherwise had no problems at all. Not a scratch on her body.

I told her that we should go to the hospital to make sure, especially for insurance purposes. She did not want to go, but I made her.

24 hours later she woke up at home unable to move at all. Her whole body was stiff from the accident. Incredible amounts of pain. She could not go to work for 3 days.

Thanks guys, and trust me i will definitely learn from this

That's good to hear. As a young driver, walking away from a hard lesson is something to be thankful for.

There's no shame in taking it easy on wet roads, ESPECIALLY in the fall. Fallen leaves are as slick as ice..

Good to hear you're OK, and even better to hear you've learned from your experience. That's the mark of an adult.

~Bang

That's a hell of a lot of unwarranted vitriol right there.

Maybe so, but what I see from young Australian drivers every day couldn't be that far removed from young American drivers. Once they get their license, they think they are bulletproof and have no consideration who any other road user.

However, Australians can't get their learners until they are 16 years and 9 months, and must have a sober, fully licensed driver with them at all times.

Anyone, young or old, who can't see fit to drive to the road conditions, gets no sympathy from me when I hear that they have had a collision. I don't call them accidents as accidents are avoidable. If the OP had've slowed down, it's more likely this collision would not have happened.

Our biggest road statistic? Males, 18-24, driving highly modified imports. There isn't a day goes by that someone in that age had been killed due to illegal street racing / not obeying road laws / not adapting to weather conditions, etc.

As long as the OP has learnt a valuable (and expensive) lesson, then it's all good.

Maybe so, but what I see from young Australian drivers every day couldn't be that far removed from young American drivers.

But Aussie drivers have a lot more threats to deal with than American, so I can understand the lack of tolerance there. You guys have to dodge Kangaroos all over the highways, which just compounds the problems of wet roads and teenage drivers.

But Aussie drivers have a lot more threats to deal with than American, so I can understand the lack of tolerance there. You guys have to dodge Kangaroos all over the highways, which just compounds the problems of wet roads and teenage drivers.

Moreso country roads, but a kangaroo on a major highway is a rare sight indeed.

Most of the ignorant teenage drivers are city kids, and have never been outside the city boundaries, let alone driven on a country road. The country drivers are far more tolerant as they have faced the obstacles (kangaroos), plus more, than you mentioned.

When I lived in Darwin (Northern Territory), I would often come across buffaloes, horses, kangaroos, wallabies and cattle wandering on the roads at night. I have seen the end result of a collision with a kangaroo who survived the impact, but due to the fact the roo ended up inside the cabin of the vehicle, it kicked out in an effort to get out, and kicked the driver to death. I've seen the end result of a collision with a bull buffalo. The horns gouged all through the front of the vehicle, ending with piercing the driver in the chest.

I've been witness to too much road trauma, so maybe my sympathy levels are lower than most, but far too many collisions could have been avoided by using plain common sense.

I have no sympathy for drivers who don't slow down in treacherous road conditions. However, at 16yo, you obviously don't know any different. Let me guess, you are a good driver?

Well I didn't really come in here looking for sympathy just wanted to share a story man and I know I ****ed up, I can analyze the situation 100 times and you know what it still happened, so live and learn and never claimed I was a great driver. And if you actually bothered finished reading the OP that was the initial damage I could see at about 10 seconds at a look over and I said there very possibly could be more, but hey man I'm here and I have a greater appreciation of life and if criticizing me makes you happy, go ahead.

SkinnedAussie,

There's a reason that young males under 25 are the highest to insure via automobile. I'll admit, even after I had a similar incident with a tree (I was older than 16) it didn't dawn on me that maybe driving "as fast from point A to point B" wasn't the best thing. In fact for years I would lament and question why other people didn't see the need to go as fast. Did you have the same attitude when you were 16 that you have now? I have to believe your position evolved.

I'm going to drill in my kids a number of facts regarding driving, but I'll have no faith it will take in their young minds. Rule #1 should be 'never be driving after 10'; it's not only the risk of being tired yourself, poor visibility, also the risk of drunk driving. Rule #2 should be, 'I'll always pick up the cost of a cab if you need it, plus overnight parking'. Rule #3 should be, 'accidents suck and are such a hassle that they need to be avoided as much as possible.' It clearly doesn't work to instruct people to "drive defensively". I was amazed and chuckled to drive with someone who actually sped up when someone took a left turn in front of him, saying, "if we have an accident its his fault"... and always told him he was an idiot and has never been in an accident. He had a new car totaled and later agreed with me how much accidents completely suck.

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

but, but, but we have squirrels to contend with :silly:

SkinnedAussie,

There's a reason that young males under 25 are the highest to insure via automobile. I'll admit, even after I had a similar incident with a tree (I was older than 16) it didn't dawn on me that maybe driving "as fast from point A to point B" wasn't the best thing. In fact for years I would lament and question why other people didn't see the need to go as fast. Did you have the same attitude when you were 16 that you have now? I have to believe your position evolved.

At 16, I was involved with speedway, but still 18 months away from getting a driver's license. In the 30 years I've held a license, I've NEVER had a collision of any sort on public roads. Mind you, I've had some blinders on the track though.

Here, drivers under 25 tend to drive to 'impress' their mates. 'Woo Hoo, look at me, my car does a better burn out than yours!'. High powered cars driven by underpowered drivers is a recipe for disaster.

The Government is trying to introduce horsepower restrictions for newly licensed drivers. However, the do-gooders are against it (obviously don't have kids!), but strangely, parents who have lost kids to unnecessary road trauma are all in support. No prizes for guessing who is winning that debate.

Archived