Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jerry Gray talks about "team segmentation" on John Thompson show today

HigSkin

I listened to the JT interview with Jerry Gray this afternoon. First, the guy is very likeable and extemely smart. I can understand why he's been interviewed for HC positions.

JT wondered why the team looked segmented and not playing as a team. JT asked whether each coaching unit (Offense, Defense, ST) worked together to help each other game plan. Gray said it does take extra time during the week and he knows other teams do it but not here. He said it gives you tremendous insight and helps make you a complete coach. He talked about how some HC's know exactly what is being called in all phases of the game.

I just always assumed the coaches worked together to develop a game plan. Like having a DC tell the OC, "we're going to blow that play up, it's obvious what you are doing." Anyway, it could very well be one reason as to why these guys really don't play like a "team". Now I'm curious to know if inter-units (QB's, RB, TE, WR) really work together and have input to the game plan.

Have at it with your comments.

These questions came up during the Gibbs era and Jerry Gray's name came up then. Can't remember what it was exactly but for some reason I remember the safties and corners have separate practices and coaching. This was when a redskins "insider" that was never named but widely suspected to be Springs divulged all sorts of details to the media.

These questions came up during the Gibbs era and Jerry Gray's name came up then. Can't remember what it was exactly but for some reason I remember the safties and corners have separate practices and coaching. This was when a redskins "insider" that was never named but widely suspected to be Springs divulged all sorts of details to the media.

Right! I found that article about "Tom Friend"....you can click on it to read the entire article but here is an excerpt:

Jackson is the safeties coach The Friend article had mentioned something about Jackson "pouting" when Jerry Gray was practicing the secondary as a unit. Jerry Gray is the corners coach, plus has another title defensive secondary coach.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/dcsween-guest-blog.html

Unfortunately, this is what happens when you have an inexperienced coach who has a lot on his plate as the QB coach, offensive playcaller, and head coach.

Zorn doesn't deserve all the blame, but he clearly has had way too much put on his plate to field a successful, competitive team, especially when other factors of poor management and injury-depleted segments of the roster (ie O-line) loom over the team.

Unfortunately, this is what happens when you have an inexperienced coach who has a lot on his plate as the QB coach, offensive playcaller, and head coach.

I would think as an inexperienced coach, the first thing he would do is ask for input on his game plan. I mean, these Defensive guys also know what Offense works against certain schemes and what doesn't work.

I would think as an inexperienced coach, the first thing he would do is ask for input on his game plan. I mean, these Defensive guys know what Offense works against certain schemes and what doesn't work.

Yeah, maybe. However, I also remember articles coming out about Spurrier's tenure. He only focused on offense. In 2002, Marvin Lewis was effectively the head coach of the defense, while Spurrier was the head coach of the offense.

On Zorn, he had to completely develop his game plan and set of plays. Remember last year when it wasn't until the last minicamp on beginning of training camp when they finished getting a set of the playbook done? 1st time head coach, play caller, offensive coordinator (Smith) don't make a great mix when you're establishing a brand new offense that has a fundamental shift from previous offenses run here before.

Yeah, maybe. However, I also remember articles coming out about Spurrier's tenure. He only focused on offense. In 2002, Marvin Lewis was effectively the head coach of the defense, while Spurrier was the head coach of the offense.

I think I remember Gibbs leaving the D up to Williams. Maybe it's not that uncommon. Although I'm pretty sure Gibbs and Williams communicated a lot.

It could also be Snyder's system and how he has his coaches operate. It seems that this team is not organized to where all the position coaches and coordinators report to the head coach, instead, it seems that they are reporting to Snyder, including the head coach himself.

This is one screwed up organization.

I listened to the JT interview with Jerry Gray this afternoon. First, the guy is very likeable and extemely smart. I can understand why he's been interviewed for HC positions.

JT wondered why the team looked segmented and not playing as a team. JT asked whether each coaching unit (Offense, Defense, ST) worked together to help each other game plan. Gray said it does take extra time during the week and he knows other teams do it but not here. He said it gives you tremendous insight and helps make you a complete coach. He talked about how some HC's know exactly what is being called in all phases of the game.

I just always assumed the coaches worked together to develop a game plan. Like having a DC tell the OC, "we're going to blow that play up, it's obvious what you are doing." Anyway, it could very well be one reason as to why these guys really don't play like a "team". Now I'm curious to know if inter-units (QB's, RB, TE, WR) really work together and have input to the game plan.

Have at it with your comments.

I didn't hear the Grey interview, but that is different from what Zorn said in the past. At least, he said he meets with Blache several times throughout the week to discuss the defensive plan.

I think I remember Gibbs leaving the D up to Williams. Maybe it's not that uncommon. Although I'm pretty sure Gibbs and Williams communicated a lot.

I'm talking more about leadership over the team rather than playcalling. I thought I remember reading articles about how Spurrier barely even talked to any of the defensive guys. Gibbs talked a lot about respect for the D and Williams throughout his tenure. Also, there were plenty of times I remember him talking to him on the sidelines. Williams was in charge of the gameplan, but I'd be willing to bet the coaching staff was better organized under Gibbs than Zorn. Zorn does talk to Blache and Danny Smith on the sidelines, but he has most of his focus on calling the plays rather than taking an overarching supervisor role on the team. I do feel Zorn has tried to lead the team the best he can with a lot of effort and work, but I think he's just overmatched at this point.

Now, it comes down to how the team can respond with a lot of adversity. Under Zorn, they haven't really shown much.

I'm talking more about leadership over the team rather than playcalling. I thought I remember reading articles about how Spurrier barely even talked to any of the defensive guys. Gibbs talked a lot about respect for the D and Williams throughout his tenure. Also, there were plenty of times I remember him talking to him on the sidelines. Williams was in charge of the gameplan, but I'd be willing to bet the coaching staff was better organized under Gibbs than Zorn. Zorn does talk to Blache and Danny Smith on the sidelines, but he has most of his focus on calling the plays rather than taking an overarching supervisor role on the team. I do feel Zorn has tried to lead the team the best he can with a lot of effort and work, but I think he's just overmatched at this point.

Now, it comes down to how the team can respond with a lot of adversity. Under Zorn, they haven't really shown much.

I recall Gibbs often talking about how he and the O coaches would match wits with the D coaches during game planning and how intense it was. I may be wrong but I think he discussed this even more initially upon his return as he was trying to figure out what from his old schemes would still work.

This is an interesting topic. Given Zorn's inexperience I would think he would lean heavily on the input of his more experienced defensive coaches when putting together game plans and testing his schemes.

Jerry Gray was considered a strong head coaching candidate a few years ago. I wonder if he'll surface in the offseason as a candidate for the Skins job.

Disappointing to hear that those things he talked about aren't happening with the Redskins but that isn't too surprising.

Jerry Gray is a bum. He hasn't developed a Pro Bowl corner since he has been here. No wonder the team is in such disarray. If everyone is doing their own thing then where is the team chemistry? If Jerry Gray was to be hired as HC here then there will be no change in the team make up or play. We need new coaching on this team and we new blood in the offensive side of the ball especially on the O-Line. Make them accountable for themselves and tell them there will be an open competition for each of their jobs and I mean everyone. That way they will work for their spot on the roster. Then maybe we will have some guys that will be hungry to win games, the division and championships.

People are seriously saying Jerry Gray isn't a good coach? :doh:

Goes to show how fickle and out of the loop some are around here. Hasn't produced a Pro Bowl player? That's the criteria for being a good coach nowadays? What happened to basic fundamentals and and preparation being a focal point for a coach? And apparently, talent doesn't mean a thing in creating a Pro Bowl player that gets voted in alot of the time on popularity...

The only thing he's done that I don't like is the corners playing off like they do, but that started with Williams and carried over with Blache, so I'm assuming that's one of Blache's things. But admittedly, that is an assumption.

I remember an interview with Mike Tomlin before the Super Bowl last year where he said the biggest difference between being a coordinator and being a head coach is that you can never turn your back to the field, because you always have "men on the grass."

To be honest, this issue pre-dates Zorn by a lot of years. Spurrier didn't even know the names of his defensive players. Gibbs let Williams run the defense as a separate team.

It doesn't seem like we've had a unified coaching staff since Marty - and he had to hire his family to do that.

Archived