Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: Carter: "we have to win games"

themurf

carter101309.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

While 99 percent of the Washington Redskins should be doing some serious soul searching after this weekend’s 20-17 humbling loss to the Carolina Panthers, the effort of defensive end Andre Carter should not be questioned.

That because, unlike most of his teammates, Carter actually bothered to show up against the Panthers – finishing the day with six tackles, a forced fumble and two and a half sacks. Not bad for a guy who had just four sacks all of last season.

We caught up with the nine-year veteran after the game to talk about his big game, and more importantly, to search for answers to the questions that continue to plague the Redskins.

On an otherwise disappointing day, you were able to have some success getting to the quarterback. How were you able to cause so much havoc in the Panthers’ backfield all day long?

“For one thing, praise to God,” Carter said. “Without him, none of this would be possible. [Editor’s note: it’s true. We looked it up.] With a pass rush, you’re taught never to stop moving your feet. My old coach from college used to say that pass rushing is the second-most determined effort in football. It’s a battle of wills, that’s how I look at it. And I never stopped moving my feet.

“To be honest with you, I don’t know what I did to get those sacks,” he continued. “I just kept coming. And really, I wouldn’t have had so much success if I didn’t have 10 other guys out there with me doing what they were supposed to do.”

This game was different than what we’ve seen in the first four games, where you and Brian Orakpo have routinely been close, but for whatever reason, the quarterback has been able to get away or get rid of the ball …

“We were in synch,” Carter said. “We looked at the film from the past three games that Carolina had played and we knew the opportunities that were at hand. We tried to exploit them the best way we could.”

Both of the Redskins touchdowns came because of defensive turnovers resulting in a short field. With everything going on with the ‘Skins offense and the injury to Chris Samuels, did you guys feel like you had to do the heavy lifting to give this team a chance to win?

Click here to read full article, including Carter addressing the Portis-Sellers incident.

Nice interview, as always.

However, let me sum it up for those who only have a second:

Carter: Blah, blah, blah, blah, we have to execute, we have to want it more, everything else you've ever heard, blah, blah, blah.

Though, you are right, Carter's basically the only one who deserved respect after Sunday's egg-laying.

wow, tough crowd. Folks don't want to hear anything unless it's negative

I just think fans have reverted to a "show me on the field and shut the **** up with all of this nonsense" attitude.

Fortunately, Carter did his part on Sunday.....others, well not so much.

Thanks for the article Murf.

great interview. i love carter. way to do your job out there vs the panthers....

and he stated EXACTLY what this team needs.

“Four quarters of Redskin football,” Carter said. “Not just a half here or a half there. We’ve got to give four quarters, utilize the momentum when it’s in our favor and never back down.”

Unfortunately, despite what he says, I do think this is a team that could drift apart, not stay together. You have the classic ingredients necessary for the team to divide into camps. Lame-duck head coach, entitled superstars, meddling ownership.

He freely admitted that the team could drift apart. He simply felt, from his viewpoint, it hasn't happened yet and he hoped there was enough veteran leadership to prevent it from happening.

Archived