Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fair Catch Called... Pushed into the Return Man... Then a Change of Posession?

Reaganaut

If I were a Special Teams guru from now on I'd look to make a short kick, look for the fair catch signal and shove a player directly into the spot where the guy is fair catching the ball. Every time.

Apparently this is LEGAL in THE FRIGGING NFL!

Find some dimwit, grab him under both arms and throw him at the return man. That's the ticket.

Sounds like a winning strategy to me. WTF happened, can somebody please tell me how this is legal?

Randel El is supposed to have some kind of signal that the kick is short and for all the blockers to get away. At least that's what all the teams I've played on have had.

Edit: Other than the fair catch signal. Usually it's just the return man yelling "Get away! Get away!" or "Short! Short!".

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/referee-explains-call.html?wprss=redskinsinsider

Referee Explains Call

Referee Walt Coleman explains the punt-fumble call: "What happened was, the two guys were blocking each other. The Washington guy got blocked into his own man, so there was no interference. All we had to figure out who touched it first. If the Washington player is stationary and just standing there and not trying to block, then he can't do that. If they are both trying to block, then he can knock him into him. Because they were both engaged, then that's why there wasn't a foul or anything wrong with that play. If the Washington player is stationary and just standing there and the Carolina player had come down there and knocked him, then it would have been totally different."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/referee-explains-call.html?wprss=redskinsinsider

Referee Explains Call

Referee Walt Coleman explains the punt-fumble call: "What happened was, the two guys were blocking each other. The Washington guy got blocked into his own man, so there was no interference. All we had to figure out who touched it first. If the Washington player is stationary and just standing there and not trying to block, then he can't do that. If they are both trying to block, then he can knock him into him. Because they were both engaged, then that's why there wasn't a foul or anything wrong with that play. If the Washington player is stationary and just standing there and the Carolina player had come down there and knocked him, then it would have been totally different."

I dont buy it. If we see it again this year i bet it will be flag. I know i would be teaching my special teams guys to do that. Latch onto a moving guy and throw him into the kick returner.

Referee Explains Call

Man, I'd figure out how to do this then on every special teams play. What a frigging joke. This rule is absolutely ridiculous.

Referee Explains Call

BULL****! I have NEVER seen such HORRIBLE calls in a game than this one today. How the **** can that not be a penalty? Also, how did the call get overturned to begin with? Shouldn't THEY have had to challenge the ORIGINAL call?:chair::chair::chair::chair::chair::chair:

Actually it is, for better or worse, the way the rule is written. It's the same theory for a punt block, if you can get to the personal protector you can technically block him into the punter and not be called for roughing. The trick is hitting the player with their teammate. In some ways it's no different than pushing a center directly back into his QB.

Referee Explains Call

That ref sounds like a moron. Like many on ES, he's only focused on who touched ARE, rather than the fact that the Carolina player ran right to the spot where the ball landed. All we had to figure out was who touched it???? No dumbass, you have to figure out whether ARE ever had any chance of catching it with some Carolina player standing between him and the ball.

That ref sounds like a moron. Like many on ES, he's only focused on who touched ARE, rather than the fact that the Carolina player ran right to the spot where the ball landed. All we had to figure out was who touched it???? No dumbass, you have to figure out whether ARE ever had any chance of catching it with some Carolina player standing between him and the ball.

Oh, well that does change things... that's breaking the 2 foot rule isn't it?

(There's no two foot rule. I'm wrong.)

Still...

Definition: A player may not interfere with a punt returner's opportunity to catch the football after having signaled for a fair catch.

Examples:

The penalty for fair catch interference is 15 yards against the offending team.

You people are funny. Not funny haha.

Where does everyone keep coming up with this 2 yard halo rule? The XFL disbanded years ago.

Glad we didn't put this in one of the other 2 threads discussing it

Fair Catch

The member of the receiving team must raise one arm a full length above his head and wave it from side to side while kick is in flight. (Failure to give proper sign: receivers’ ball five yards behind spot of signal.) Note: It is legal for the receiver to shield his eyes from the sun by raising one hand no higher than the helmet.

No opponent may interfere with the fair catcher, the ball, or his path to the ball. Penalty: 15 yards from spot of foul and fair catch is awarded.

A player who signals for a fair catch is not required to catch the ball. However, if a player signals for a fair catch, he may not block or initiate contact with any player on the kicking team until the ball touches a player. Penalty: snap 15 yards.

If ball hits ground or is touched by member of kicking team in flight, fair catch signal is off and all rules for a kicked ball apply.

Any undue advance by a fair catch receiver is delay of game. No specific distance is specified for undue advance as ball is dead at spot of catch. If player comes to a reasonable stop, no penalty. For penalty, five yards.

If time expires while ball is in play and a fair catch is awarded, receiving team may choose to extend the period with one fair catch kick down. However, placekicker may not use tee.

BULL****! I have NEVER seen such HORRIBLE calls in a game than this one today. How the **** can that not be a penalty? Also, how did the call get overturned to begin with? Shouldn't THEY have had to challenge the ORIGINAL call?:chair::chair::chair::chair::chair::chair:

Yup! I am saying if I am Danny Smith I am coaching my team to do that same thing whenever possible.

Detroit game had some horrible calls too.

Referee Explains Call

I think what Mr. Walt Coleman is disregarding is the fact that the Panther players deliberately pushed Westbrook into ARE. It is quite obvious.

However, if Westbrook was indeed trying to block him, and the bolded part is indeed true, then well it was a legit play. And then the rule needs to be changed because that is bull****.

Archived