Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This loss is entirely the fault of management - chiefly, Vinny Cerrato. Here's why

SkinsTillIDie

I said this at the draft. They focused entirely on the defense and ignored completely what they were talking about all last year what we needed most: protection from the O-line. "Fix our dinosaur O-Line". Some of the dinosaurs are gone alright but look at the result of the patchwork O-Line we have now. What a mess.

I never had any expectations for this year, sadly, because of this. (Doesn't ever stop me from cheering).

How can we expect an offense to work when there is poor blocking??

I agree completely this is all on the fact that we have the WORST offensive line in football!

We have seen this for years now and it hasnt been addressed. Samuels goes out and all you have in there is some rejects. Undrafted players. A guy who had to lose 100 pounds to make the team.

Come on now, how can Zorn and Campbell be expected to do anything?!?!

I KEEP posting this.

They projected only 3 different players on offense at the beginning of the year than they had in 2005: at #2 WR, also known as the doobie who lines up across from Moss, they replaced Patton with MK/DT. At RT, they replaced Jon Jansen with Stephon Heyer. And JC is the QB instead of Brunnell.

EVERYBODY ELSE IS THE SAME. And 4 years older, in their 30s, and past their prime.

They scored a whopping 22 points per game in 2005.

What on earth would make any exec think that changing systems twice (to Al Saunders then to Zorn's), guys getting older, and those replacements were going to make this offense click?

It's pure arrogance, stupidity, you name it. I just call it dumb. They have a complete lack of depth on the OL.

The only OL that they have drafted of note the last several years has been Rinehart, and he's heading towards the bust category on a bullet train.

And now there are going to be more holes to fill than they have the ability to fill. They need 3-4 new players on the OL, probably a new RB, MK/DT don't seem to be stepping up, so back in the market for a WR, and they will have to address the QB situation as well.

There are just not going to be enough draft picks to do it next year, so let the rebuilding project begin. 4-12 this year, and 6-10 next year with a new coach.

Question is, who's going to be selecting the players? Vinny? If so, then it could be 6-10, 6-10, 6-10, 6-10....

I KEEP posting this.

They projected only 3 different players on offense at the beginning of the year than they had in 2005: at #2 WR, also known as the doobie who lines up across from Moss, they replaced Patton with MK/DT. At RT, they replaced Jon Jansen with Stephon Heyer. And JC is the QB instead of Brunnell.

EVERYBODY ELSE IS THE SAME. And 4 years older, in their 30s, and past their prime.

What on earth would make any exec think that changing systems twice (to Al Saunders then to Zorn's), guys getting older, and those replacements were going to make this offense click?

It's pure arrogance, stupidity, you name it. I just call it dumb. They have a complete lack of depth on the OL.

The only OL that they have drafted of note the last several years has been Rinehart, and he's heading towards the bust category on a bullet train.

And now there are going to be more holes to fill than they have the ability to fill. They need 3-4 new players on the OL, probably a new RB, MK/DT don't seem to be stepping up, so back in the market for a WR, and they will have to address the QB situation as well.

There are just not going to be enough draft picks to do it next year, so let the rebuilding project begin. 4-12 this year, and 6-10 next year with a new coach.

Question is, who's going to be selecting the players? Vinny? If so, then it could be 6-10, 6-10, 6-10, 6-10....

Everyone has said that we need a GM. Vinny is not a GM. He is Danny's butt buddy.

Synder and Vinny need to turn the team over to an experienced GM and step out of the picture for 3 years and see what happens.

Not even close........Snyder is the main culprit, always has been. I'll tell you why (if anyone is still reading this thread). There is no way in hell that Snyder is going to allow Vinny to spend his money.........like its been spent over the past 10 years. Snyder has pulled the trigger on all of these big names PERIOD. The only power Vinny possesses is the draft and most of the time he doesn't have any picks to play with because Danny trades away all the picks for big name free agents. Everything stinks of Snyder. Or Vinny is the luckiest man in the world. He gets to have fun spending someone else's money with absolutely no consequence. Its not Vinny's fault because all he likes to say is "Yes Sir."

Using a second on JT last year hurt. Using a third on Ducket(sp?) hurt. They wasted too many opportunities and now they are paying. With a CAP money is not enough you have to use EVERY opportunity wisely or others will pass you.

In a foot race the cost of a mistape is immediately seen. In this game it takes years for the damage to accumulate.

For the first time I can remember, I plan on not watching the skins next week, even though I have the opportunity. Not because they are bad, but because it is hopeless. The D will try hard & eventually give up because of no support, Campbell & Portis will get pummelled and try their best. Even the line will try but the line is just too bad. Campbell will get blamed & everyone will say the skins suck.

When really I think they are almost all trying hard, it is just that one area the line is so bad they do not have a chance of winning consistently.

Campbell looks like an honorable man, who has tried above and beyond what is required to maximize his talent. And he has become reasonably good. Not elite, but as good enough to take us deep in the playoffs or as good as others who have gone deep.

Heyer and other have probably worked very hard too but they are just not good enough. This is a tough world they have rewards high, public ridicule for failure is great.

I actually hope we keep Campbell, but we won't. We will spend our picks getting a new qb, sell tickets on hope & once again the line will fail us & 2-3 years from now it will get addressed piece by peice until Portis & Moss are too old to contribute & then the running game won't work, or the passing or the D-Line. We just have too many misses and the direction of management prevents us from progress by going after qbs or old DEs with good picks. We should be trying to accumulate picks to build a team not giving them up to get the elite qb.

Vinny has set them up for failure. I feel bad for Zorn and JC, because its easier for the masses to blame them. But Lil Danny Boy and buttbuddy Vinny have failed to build a foundation for this offense. A descent O-line would make JC look so much better and maybe even mask some of inadequacies.

Even I, who is not even involved in football, has been saying this for years. As flashy as the skill players are a great team is built from the lines out. Vinnie's mama must have been raped by an offensive lineman and he still holds a grudge. For three years me and a lot of others having been screaming for offensive linemen. And we've gotten - Rinehart?

Maybe they'll draft one if we all promise to buy their jerseys.

Well, obviously, Vinny Cerrato having a job in the NFL is ludicrous, but I have a hard time placing all the blame on him.

Who is responsible for these drafts?

Rd Sel # Player Position School

2 34 Devin Thomas WR Michigan State

2 48 Fred Davis TE USC

2 51 Malcolm Kelly WR Oklahoma

3 96 Chad Rinehart T Northern Iowa

4 124 Justin Tryon CB Arizona State

6 168 Durant Brooks P Georgia Tech

6 180 Kareem Moore DB Nicholls State

6 186 Colt Brennan QB Hawaii

7 242 Rob Jackson DE Kansas State

7 249 Chris Horton SS UCLA

2007 - Washington Redskins

1 6 LaRon Landry SS Louisiana State

5 143 Dallas Sartz LB USC

6 179 H.B. Blades LB Pittsburgh

6 205 Jordan Palmer QB Texas-El Paso

7 216 Tyler Ecker TE Michigan

2006 - Washington Redskins

2 35 Rocky McIntosh LB Miami (Fla.)

5 153 Anthony Montgomery DT Minnesota

6 173 Reed Doughty DB Northern Colorado

6 196 Kedric Golston DT Georgia

7 230 Kili Lefotu G Arizona

7 250 Kevin Simon LB Tennessee

2005 - Washington Redskins

1 9 Carlos Rogers DB Auburn

1 25 Jason Campbell QB Auburn

4 120 Manuel White RB UCLA

5 154 Robert McCune LB Louisville

6 183 Jared Newberry LB Stanford

7 222 Nehemiah Broughton RB The Citadel

2004 - Washington Redskins

1 5 Sean Taylor FS Miami (Fla.)

3 81 Chris Cooley TE Utah State

5 151 Mark Wilson T California

6 180 Jim Molinaro T Notre Dame

2003 - Washington Redskins

2 44 Taylor Jacobs WR Florida

3 81 Derrick Dockery G Texas

7 232 Gibran Hamdan QB Indiana

2002 - Washington Redskins

1 32 Patrick Ramsey QB Tulane

2 56 Ladell Betts RB Iowa

3 79 Rashad Bauman CB Oregon

3 87 Cliff Russell WR Utah

5 159 Andre Lott CB Tennessee

5 160 Robert Royal TE Louisiana State

6 192 Reggie Coleman T Tennessee

7 230 Jeff Grau TE UCLA

7 234 Greg Scott DE Hampton

7 257 Rock Cartwright RB Kansas State

2001 - Washington Redskins

1 15 Rod Gardner WR Clemson

2 45 Fred Smoot CB Mississippi State

4 109 Sage Rosenfels QB Iowa State

5 154 Darnerien McCants WR Delaware State

6 186 Mario Monds DT Cincinnati

2000 - Washington Redskins

1 2 LaVar Arrington OLB Penn State

1 3 Chris Samuels T Alabama

3 64 Lloyd Harrison DB North Carolina State

4 129 Mookie Moore G Troy State

5 155 Quincy Sanders -- Nevada-Las Vegas

6 202 Todd Husak QB Stanford

7 216 Delbert Cowsette DE Maryland

7 250 Ethan Howell -- Oklahoma State

Just for fun, here are just OL picks

3 96 Chad Rinehart T Northern Iowa

2007 - Washington Redskins

2006 - Washington Redskins

7 230 Kili Lefotu G Arizona

2005 - Washington Redskins

2004 - Washington Redskins

5 151 Mark Wilson T California

6 180 Jim Molinaro T Notre Dame

2003 - Washington Redskins

3 81 Derrick Dockery G Texas

2002 - Washington Redskins

6 192 Reggie Coleman T Tennessee

2001 - Washington Redskins

2000 - Washington Redskins

1 3 Chris Samuels T Alabama

4 129 Mookie Moore G Troy State

I probably don't have to tell you that they didn't draft a single OL in 2009. So that gives us 2 offensive linemen drafted since 2004. That's right, 5 drafts, and we got Kili Lefotu and Chad Rhinehart.

And didn't Gibbs run most of those drafts? Who is in charge of scouting? I certainly understand that ultimately, Snyder makes these decisions, or at least hires the ppl who make these decision, but he's the only guy who can't be fired. Its very frustrating.

While I agree that the line is a pathetic joke, you have to look at games where Jason has time.

He still fails to read defenses when he has time. He has happy feet no matter what. People always blamed the line for David Carr as well. He's just not that good. Better than Campbell by a mile, but not that great. Big Ben got sacked a ton last year. What did the Steelers do again?

JC cannot read defenses. He can't make easy open throws. He has bad footwork. He's basically a waste of a big frame and decent arm.

I KEEP posting this.

I agree... for some reason, Danny and Vinny don't see age. As evident by their signings of Bruce Smith, Deion Sanders, Mark Carrier, etc.

They think the player will always play the same... and that is just not the case.

You make too much sense, but of course Dan/Vinny want to shift the blame to Zorn. :doh:

While Zorn isn't blame free, he was a dead man walking from day 1 with this roster. I would have quoted your entire post, which was spot on, but I have been warned about quoting large posts.

As long as the system we have in place remains, we are going to continue to struggle. There is no discipline and seemingly no heart. I don't think that there is a sense of team. The Redskins don't seem to care what happens. I don't see enough people on the team getting upset. This team should be blown up and start over. Unfortunately, if we blow it up the owner will still do it a screwed up way.

A lame duck coach + an offensive roster that is not that good = a bad team

Why should the players respond to Zorn? They know he's gone. He knows he's gone. Of course the effort won't be there. This is all thanks to the toxic micromanagement done by Snyder and his lap dog Vinny.

Archived